LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

08' Lexus LS460 P0012 and poping/creaking noise when turning

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-23, 07:24 AM
TheArc23
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 08' Lexus LS460 P0012 and poping/creaking noise when turning

I don't know if this is the correct thread so I apologize if it is not...

I got a 08 Lexus LS460 with 140k miles that I recently purchased couple of months ago. Recently I noticed the check engine light was on for P0012 Code: Intake (A) Camshaft Position Timing – Over-Retarded (Bank 1).

I had the oil changed and flushed out thinking it's dirty oil and than I took it to my mechanic and he changed the Bank 1 solenoid which I believe is on the drivers side (this car has two solenoids) check engine came back on as soon as I drove off...he's thinking it'a a timing chain issue but no symptoms of that at all...This car is so over complicated that I don't know where to even begin! Sensors and electronics everywhere...

Than I noticed a very close clicking/screeching noise when I may slow or even fast turns and steering when will click when I am stationary if I turn it...
Old 09-10-23, 08:18 AM
Boykie
Instructor

Received 582 Likes on 412 Posts

Solenoids are exhaust. Intake are VVT-iE motors. Best case scenario - you need new motor. Worst case - chains are stretched.
Old 09-10-23, 08:42 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,272 Likes on 984 Posts

It's good that you understand that the car is very complex. The steering wheel clicking is a different issue from timing chain, obviously. Over the years I can recall threads with similar issue. There are several plastic parts in the steering wheel, there is a shaft that goes through firewall with universal type joints, the steering is electric and has parts that can click. It could be multiple points from your description. Wish I could be more specific. If there is no performance issue with steering, you may wish to defer addressing the click.
Depending on service history, you're overdue for coolant, brake fluid and transmission services. Do monitor the coolant overflow bottle for loss of fluids before hand. At your mileage it's possible there are leaks. Transmission is trickiest as a partial drain and fill is recommended 2-4 times with use in between. Some like to drop pan, and change filter. Either way, it's never a full fluid exchange with one service. Whoever does your services should have familiarity with Lexus procedures.
More versed members can advise you about what other services to do if the timing chain needs replacement.
Old 09-10-23, 08:53 AM
TheArc23
10th Gear

Originally Posted by Boykie
Solenoids are exhaust. Intake are VVT-iE motors. Best case scenario - you need new motor. Worst case - chains are stretched.
Wouldn't there be any symptoms?? Are chains more expensive than a whole new motor?
Old 09-10-23, 08:58 AM
Gerf
Racer

Received 789 Likes on 587 Posts

He meant the vvt motor.
The following 2 users liked this post by Gerf:
Boykie (09-10-23), Daybo (02-04-24)
Old 09-10-23, 09:01 AM
TheArc23
10th Gear

Originally Posted by Gerf
He meant the vvt motor.
That makes sense...Correct me if I am wrong but the Timing chain is not suppose to be serviced on LS models correct? Slack is just normal wear and it adjusts it's self?

Also, where the VVT motor located? Part#? an idea of the cost to fix?
Old 09-10-23, 09:03 AM
Boykie
Instructor

Uhm, nope. Chains can be serviced. I replaced 10+ chain sets on UR-FSE - old cars, bad thick oil = chains stretch. Heck of a job though, barely doable with engine in... We use 4ch oscilloscope to see cam/crank corelation and compare to factory/known good waveforms.
The following users liked this post:
Thearc (09-10-23)
Old 09-10-23, 09:12 AM
TheArc23
10th Gear

Uhm, nope. Chains can be serviced. I replaced 10+ chain sets on UR-FSE - old cars, bad thick oil = chains stretch. Heck of a job though, barely doable with engine in... We use 4ch oscilloscope to see cam/crank corelation and compare to factory/known good waveforms.
Do you know the part# for the vvt motor?
Old 09-10-23, 09:21 AM
TheArc23
10th Gear

Originally Posted by swfla
It's good that you understand that the car is very complex. The steering wheel clicking is a different issue from timing chain, obviously. Over the years I can recall threads with similar issue. There are several plastic parts in the steering wheel, there is a shaft that goes through firewall with universal type joints, the steering is electric and has parts that can click. It could be multiple points from your description. Wish I could be more specific. If there is no performance issue with steering, you may wish to defer addressing the click.
Depending on service history, you're overdue for coolant, brake fluid and transmission services. Do monitor the coolant overflow bottle for loss of fluids before hand. At your mileage it's possible there are leaks. Transmission is trickiest as a partial drain and fill is recommended 2-4 times with use in between. Some like to drop pan, and change filter. Either way, it's never a full fluid exchange with one service. Whoever does your services should have familiarity with Lexus procedures.
More versed members can advise you about what other services to do if the timing chain needs replacement.
Both Valve Cover Gasket are leaking a little so I'll be replacing both
Old 09-10-23, 09:24 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

OEM VVT motor about $1316 plus labor. Chain replacement requires other parts as well as big labor as stated. Suggest that you get diagnostic from a Lexus expert tech.
The following 2 users liked this post by swfla:
Boykie (09-10-23), Thearc (09-10-23)
Old 09-10-23, 09:33 AM
TheArc23
10th Gear

OEM VVT motor about $1316 plus labor. Chain replacement requires other parts as well as big labor as stated. Suggest that you get diagnostic from a Lexus expert tech.
I got the car for $6000 and had two previous owners...the last owner bought the car in 2012 with 100k miles and now it has 140k which is insane for driving that little for 12yrs...Car sat for a long time from all the brittle connectors I am fixing because the keep braking off...

Anyway, I am not finding the VVT motor? Do you have a part? Is it the below one?:

Old 09-10-23, 09:39 AM
Boykie
Instructor

Those are matched to your vin, no universal part no exists.
Old 09-10-23, 09:47 AM
TheArc23
10th Gear

Those are matched to your vin, no universal part no exists.
But is that the vvt motor in the picture? Wow...it's like the new iphones...So the dealer needs to program them or do they repair it?

Sorry, I am a first time Lexus buyer and trying to learn them
Old 09-10-23, 09:54 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

I agree with Boykie, it's always best to use VIN to find exact parts. BTW, the price I mentioned is MSRP, it can be purchased for less. Considering how little the car was used, it'd be wise to perform all fluid services I mentioned. IMHO. Fluids were likely untouched for many years. As he mentioned, neglected oil can cause issues. This may very well be the case here with the new info you provided. FWIW, this is a relatively low mileage car at a good price, worth catching up on deferred services to enjoy for many years to come.
Old 09-10-23, 10:00 AM
TheArc23
10th Gear

I agree with Boykie, it's always best to use VIN to find exact parts. BTW, the price I mentioned is MSRP, it can be purchased for less. Considering how little the car was used, it'd be wise to perform all fluid services I mentioned. IMHO. Fluids were likely untouched for many years. As he mentioned, neglected oil can cause issues. This may very well be the case here with the new info you provided. FWIW, this is a relatively low mileage car at a good price, worth catching up on deferred services to enjoy for many years to come.
I think you just nailed it...Oil was either not changed, sat for long time, or oil was real dirty...This I assume could have maybe caused the slack in the timing chain...I'll be honest, when I drove it and tested it, it looked relatively in good condition, history was spotty on the vehicle service history but everything else was good...I LOVE the car and drives like a cloud...I will hit up a junk yard and spend $50 on that part to do test on it...Worst case I waste $50 to test it

Last edited by TheArc23; 09-10-23 at 10:04 AM.

Quick Reply: 08' Lexus LS460 P0012 and poping/creaking noise when turning