LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Catalytic converter cleaning DIY

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-23, 11:21 PM
alsuwaidi
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Catalytic converter cleaning DIY

Hi everyone.

Since many people ask me how to clean the cats, I've decided to make a video showcasing that.

While this is not 100% DIY (you'll need someone to help with keeping the engine at 3k rpm) it is still fairly easy to do and straightforward.

The video is in Arabic but I've included subtitles in English.

This is my first video ever so any feedback is appreciated.

I also show how to clean the MAF sensors.

Cleaning the cats really helps with fuel economy and engine power.

The 460 cats get clogged really fast for some reason.

A word of caution though. If your cats are really dirty. There is a slight chance that the oxygen sensor might get damaged due to all that soot flying on the sensor while cleaning.
I've already done 4 separate cleanings without any problem. But still can't guarantee the same for everybody.

The only car I've had a problem with was my sister's LX570. The O2 sensor died right after cleaning.

I hope the video is useful. Feel free to comment and give any feedback.

Make sure to subscribe as I'll be making more videos in the future.

Old 09-16-23, 05:44 AM
Anfanger
Pole Position

Received 894 Likes on 660 Posts

Screenshots of live data before and after (+100 miles, at least) is a must, but even better before and after pictures of cats.
Old 09-16-23, 06:18 AM
alsuwaidi
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Anfanger
Screenshots of live data before and after (+100 miles, at least) is a must, but even better before and after pictures of cats.

unfortunately, I haven’t thought about that.

But here are some things that I have noticed which improved.

1 - Fuel economy
My 460 went from showing a 580km cruising range to 670km, sometimes even 700km in winter.

Also, my Toyota Avalon which I drive to work. I would fill up in the same gas station full tank and drive to work. I would usually find only 1/4 of the fuel is left. Now the same trip would consume less fuel where a little bit less than 1/2 tank is left.

also, my sister’s LX 570 which had really clogged cats went from showing 500 km range to 780 km.

2 - improve acceleration
I drive all the above-mentioned cars and all of them showed better acceleration performance after the cleaning.

Also, you don't feel the engine struggling to produce power like before. Specially in the Lx570, where before the engine's RPM would brutally shoot all the way to redline just to maintain the cruising speed, especially on hills. Now it maintains the speed with no sweat.

3- Overall the engines feel smoother while operating.

I would also recommend replacing the PCV valve on your car.

I’ll try to film before and after Live data next time.

I’ve been owning this car for 5 years and the biggest difference I felt in performance was after cleaning the cats and the MAF sensors.

By the way. I am not affiliated with LiquiMoly in any way, shape or form. It is just a product that I used and felt the difference. So thought I would share my experience to benefit others.
I would recommend cleaning the Cats every 80k kilometers.

Last edited by alsuwaidi; 09-16-23 at 06:34 AM.
Old 09-16-23, 06:47 AM
alsuwaidi
Driver School Candidate

By the way. I showed the video to my brother and he asked me to clean his Nissan Patrol cats. So I made this short video showcasing the use of the cleaner in action.