LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

TMPS just shows dashes... any idea ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-23, 07:35 AM
Gerf
Pole Position

Received 824 Likes on 608 Posts

I bought an extra set of wheels and tires from the dealer so I wouldn't have to go to some shop every spring and fall, they said they cloned the aftermarket set of sensors...car only stores one set...They never worked but I could see the pressures and temp including the spare which has original sensor with TS but couldn't get them to work.
I ended up getting an autel tpms tool and it couldn't get any info from one of the sensors. I just know that techstream isn't 100% all of the time.

The following users liked this post:
swfla (09-20-23)
Old 09-20-23, 08:17 AM
lexo98
Pole Position

Received 276 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by Gerf
I bought an extra set of wheels and tires from the dealer so I wouldn't have to go to some shop every spring and fall, they said they cloned the aftermarket set of sensors...car only stores one set...They never worked but I could see the pressures and temp including the spare which has original sensor with TS but couldn't get them to work.
I ended up getting an autel tpms tool and it couldn't get any info from one of the sensors. I just know that techstream isn't 100% all of the time.
2013 and up take a different sensor than previous years. I have not seen a sensor that can be cloned to show air pressures on newer models. Most all sensors are capable of giving air pressure readings but Lexus’s that show actual wheel location require a different type. Yes they will show in techstream and yes they will show on a hand held scanner, and even make the warning light come on when the pressure is dropped but they will not show the actual pressure on screen.
Old 09-20-23, 08:41 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,282 Likes on 991 Posts

Originally Posted by lexo98
2013 and up take a different sensor than previous years. I have not seen a sensor that can be cloned to show air pressures on newer models. Most all sensors are capable of giving air pressure readings but Lexus’s that show actual wheel location require a different type. Yes they will show in techstream and yes they will show on a hand held scanner, and even make the warning light come on when the pressure is dropped but they will not show the actual pressure on screen.
If you can state what brands (besides OEM) will work, that'd be very helpful. Considering that 2013 cars are 10 years old, there should be sensors that work. If not, tire stores wouldn't service post 2013 car's TPMS sensors. You may be partially correct but it doesn't match threads that state success with Costco, Tire Kingdom, Denso, etc. Not looking to put you on the spot, just give more complete/solution info.
DavidinCT (02-03-24)
Old 09-20-23, 09:23 AM
Gerf
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lexo98
Yes they will show in techstream and yes they will show on a hand held scanner, and even make the warning light come on when the pressure is dropped but they will not show the actual pressure on screen.
I know this is expecting a lot, but don't you think a dealer should know this?? lol. Around here they're not exactly doing this for free, I didn't take it back because I knew it would just snowball into a larger shi^ show.

Old 09-20-23, 12:05 PM
swfla
Lead Lap

Now, knowing a dealer did the work, I absolutely agree and understand why you hesitate to go back. But, dealers have newbies in the shop and errors do happen. Hoping you can solve this yourself. But the dealer who did the work is still a responsible party. You are a patient man Gerf!
Old 09-20-23, 02:07 PM
lexo98
Pole Position

Originally Posted by swfla
If you can state what brands (besides OEM) will work, that'd be very helpful. Considering that 2013 cars are 10 years old, there should be sensors that work. If not, tire stores wouldn't service post 2013 car's TPMS sensors. You may be partially correct but it doesn't match threads that state success with Costco, Tire Kingdom, Denso, etc. Not looking to put you on the spot, just give more complete/solution info.
Not taking it personal. I’ll explain a little more. Cloning is different than replacing an oem sensor with an aftermarket. Maybe I worded it wrong but sounds like you’re thinking they are the same thing. Cloning is when you can take the ID’s from the OEM sensor and “clone” them into an aftermarket sensor. Most sensors are not capable of this, but when this is done the ECU will recognize them as oem and the ECU does not need to be programmed. I’ve seen these on pre 2013 models that don’t show wheel location, but have not seen them for 2013+ however they might be out there.
Replacing is just that. Installing a new sensor and programming those ID’s into the ECU. Denso, Dill and Pacific all sell the same sensor just in a different box. Looks like RockAuto has the best pricing that I have seen for OEM equivalents. This is the site I use since I install Dill branded sensors.

https://www.dillvalves.com/tpms-look...mdl=LS&yr=2014

If someone that is having the issue with dashes but the low pressure light still works would post what they used as replacements it would help troubleshoot.
Old 09-20-23, 02:10 PM
lexo98
Pole Position

I know this is expecting a lot, but don't you think a dealer should know this?? lol. Around here they're not exactly doing this for free, I didn't take it back because I knew it would just snowball into a larger shi^ show.

Year, make and model? From experience I can tell you that sometimes techs are quick to think some parts are universal.
Gerf (09-20-23)
Old 09-20-23, 02:47 PM
swfla
Lead Lap

I see what you were trying to say now. I appreciate your explanation. BTW, the part number on invoice is an exact match for a 2013 OEM sensor. I googled it.

Last edited by swfla; 09-20-23 at 02:52 PM.
Old 09-20-23, 03:45 PM
Gerf
Pole Position

I see what you were trying to say now. I appreciate your explanation. BTW, the part number on invoice is an exact match for a 2013 OEM sensor. I googled it.
Good eye, that was one of the reasons I didn't go back...if you look at these pictures one is an oem sensor and the ones sold to me were aftermarket with rubber stems but charged out with a correct part#

edit: plus as you can see there is no fitting kit used on this type of valve stem.

Last edited by Gerf; 09-20-23 at 03:53 PM.
Old 09-20-23, 04:20 PM
lexo98
Pole Position

Good eye, that was one of the reasons I didn't go back...if you look at these pictures one is an oem sensor and the ones sold to me were aftermarket with rubber stems but charged out with a correct part#

edit: plus as you can see there is no fitting kit used on this type of valve stem.
On the newest LS the fitting kit for an aftermarket sensor could be a rubber valve stem but that wouldn’t be the sensor part number they put on your invoice and wouldn’t be correct for your year anyways. Looks like they didn’t give you what you were sold. They probably cloned some aftermarket sensors using your oem sensor ID’s that won’t display actual air pressures on your dash. Either way you weren’t charged for what you got and need to go back.
Old 09-20-23, 04:49 PM
Gerf
Pole Position

Last of my rant lol, never going back....it was the car I was looking for with low mileage and in good shape. The people were a waste of skin.

This is a inspection report of some type that was in the folder for the sale, the description of the car is correct but the vin is for a 2019 IS300 AWD. This is from a Lexus dealer. I've had it for 2 years.
Nope, never going back.

Old 09-20-23, 04:53 PM
swfla
Lead Lap

Not what one would expect to see from a dealer, but, glad you looked. I think you're getting closer to solving the mystery. I'm sure I'm not the only person who remembers what caring employees and good service used to look like. Things change...
Old 09-20-23, 09:26 PM
swfla
Lead Lap

Hoping that getting that one sensor changed to genuine OEM will do the trick.
Old 09-20-23, 11:11 PM
lexo98
Pole Position

From what I’ve seen the best price for oem is from rockauto. Pacific, Denso and Dill are all the same sensor made by Dill
Old 09-22-23, 09:00 AM
DavidinCT
Racer

Received 201 Likes on 149 Posts

Going back to the shop that replaced that one sensor and asking them to reprogram all 5 sensors (full procedure) would eliminate erroneous programming. Then see if readings show up without any error light before you leave the shop.
I'll have to do this next week or pop in Tomorrow (might be good day as it will be raining hard here). Should readings show up right away?

I did order a much better (pro model working with official kits) cable/Box for TechStream. The limits from my $15 cable should be resolved now and I will be on the current version of it.
swfla (09-22-23)

Quick Reply: TMPS just shows dashes... any idea ?