LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

TMPS just shows dashes... any idea ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-23, 11:54 AM
DavidinCT
Racer

Received 200 Likes on 148 Posts
Default TMPS just shows dashes... any idea ?

Hey all,

Just got a strange issue. In my 2014, it should show tire pressure levels. It shows "--" for each one in all spots. If I take a tire and lower the PSI to say 20psi, the dash light will come on warning about system, if I put it back up to 33psi (where I keep my tires) the lights go off but, it still shows dashes for the pressure levels.

I had a shop check all sensors and they all report fine.

Is there a reset, or something, even with Techstream to reset the system so it can display values again?

Thanks !
Old 09-16-23, 12:10 PM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,272 Likes on 984 Posts

Was the spare tire checked too? Not sure if this applies to 2014, but if one sensor is down, it can affect the display. Puzzling that it shows low warning on dash. These Lexus engineers are sometimes like savants. I'm sure you know about the reset button on the knee panel below the steering wheel. You use it once you have all tires set at desired pressure.
The following users liked this post:
DavidinCT (09-16-23)
Old 09-16-23, 01:02 PM
lexo98
Racer

Received 273 Likes on 235 Posts

Not sure if this applies but on my GS you need to drive for it to show the pressures. If you just get in and start the car 9 out of 10 times it will only show dashes. Also have any of the sensors been replaced recently ?
DavidinCT (09-16-23)
Old 09-16-23, 05:49 PM
DavidinCT
Racer

Originally Posted by swfla
Was the spare tire checked too? Not sure if this applies to 2014, but if one sensor is down, it can affect the display. Puzzling that it shows low warning on dash. These Lexus engineers are sometimes like savants. I'm sure you know about the reset button on the knee panel below the steering wheel. You use it once you have all tires set at desired pressure.
I had them check all tires when at the tire shop. I also booted up Techstream and it did say 5 tires were registered.

I did hit that button on the Knee panel but, it didn't seem to do anything. Should I get some notification on it?

Originally Posted by lexo98
Not sure if this applies but on my GS you need to drive for it to show the pressures. If you just get in and start the car 9 out of 10 times it will only show dashes. Also have any of the sensors been replaced recently ?
Not sure how long but, after a 57-mile trip, they still show dashes. This did all work fine before and now it's always showing dashes.

I did have a sensor out, leavihng a nice light the dash but, when they were tested, they found the bad one and replaced/reprogrammed for it.

Is there any way in Techstream, to figure out why this happening?
Old 09-16-23, 06:13 PM
swfla
Lead Lap

I read that you hold the button until the dash light blinks three times. Then turn on ignition for about 20 minutes to finalize. This should turn off the warning light. Not certain if it will address your situation. Worth a try!
DavidinCT (09-17-23)
Old 09-16-23, 06:48 PM
swfla
Lead Lap

Boykie is quite knowledgeable about Techstream.
DavidinCT (09-17-23)
Old 09-16-23, 07:00 PM
Boykie
Instructor

Received 582 Likes on 412 Posts

Go to TPMS then Data list. You should see receiving status of all 5 sensors, their batt status and pressure readings. If one of those is out - there's your problem. Try that. You may also have TMPS DTCs directly pointing to the problem at hand.
DavidinCT (09-17-23)
Old 09-16-23, 07:16 PM
lexo98
Racer

Originally Posted by DavidinCT
I had them check all tires when at the tire shop. I also booted up Techstream and it did say 5 tires were registered.

I did hit that button on the Knee panel but, it didn't seem to do anything. Should I get some notification on it?

Not sure how long but, after a 57-mile trip, they still show dashes. This did all work fine before and now it's always showing dashes.

I did have a sensor out, leavihng a nice light the dash but, when they were tested, they found the bad one and replaced/reprogrammed for it.

Is there any way in Techstream, to figure out why this happening?
If you can post up the brand and part number of the new replacement. If they used the wrong sensor the light will turn off but you will only get dashes
Old 09-18-23, 04:35 PM
DavidinCT
Racer

Originally Posted by Boykie
Go to TPMS then Data list. You should see receiving status of all 5 sensors, their batt status and pressure readings. If one of those is out - there's your problem. Try that. You may also have TMPS DTCs directly pointing to the problem at hand.
I went to data list, and it shows no communication with any of them. Nothing at all. Keep in mind, I have what's known as HACKSTREAM, a $15 setup, I think it's version 13 on a Windows 7 x86 laptop...I've had this setup for a very long time.

I did also, try manually filling all the tires, including spare to 33PSI, and hit the reset under the dash till the light flashed. Let it sit for 25 min and also Drove 57 miles, no change.
Old 09-18-23, 05:42 PM
swfla
Lead Lap

It seems that it's either the sensors or the car's receiver. Was there any event/repair done that may have caused this? Were they working fine and suddenly one day they stopped? Sounds like maybe the one replaced sensor is different from all the others and that's the cause.
Old 09-18-23, 06:28 PM
miket000
Instructor

Received 525 Likes on 322 Posts

The hand held scanner / programmers require a certain sequence when programming the tpms sensors to the car. I wonder if the shop messed that process up. I have a 2007 with no location capabilities. I imagine it's more critical to do the process correctly on your model.

I've had good luck with discount tire. They have programmed my sensors for free. Even though they were installed at another shop. They should have the capability to diagnose your issue.
The following 2 users liked this post by miket000:
jmcraney (09-18-23), swfla (09-19-23)
Old 09-18-23, 09:38 PM
lexo98
Racer

If the tire light comes on when you drop the pressure that means the sensors are programmed ro the vehicle. Of course there is always a chance something went wrong I’m still thinking you have a wrong sensor. Need the brand and part number still.
Old 09-19-23, 09:52 PM
MiracleToast
2nd gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been fighting this same problem. I have the same symptoms -- dashes, and warning light turns on when low, off when correct. However, my techstream shows real-time data from all 5 sensors. Would techstream report data if the tpms sensors were replaced with non-lexus units? Thanks!
Old 09-19-23, 10:09 PM
lexo98
Racer

Originally Posted by MiracleToast
I've been fighting this same problem. I have the same symptoms -- dashes, and warning light turns on when low, off when correct. However, my techstream shows real-time data from all 5 sensors. Would techstream report data if the tpms sensors were replaced with non-lexus units? Thanks!
I know it doesn’t make sense but the wrong sensors can still show real time data. They will also trigger the low pressure light. They just won’t show up on the dashboard.
Old 09-20-23, 07:04 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

Going back to the shop that replaced that one sensor and asking them to reprogram all 5 sensors (full procedure) would eliminate erroneous programming. Then see if readings show up without any error light before you leave the shop.
DavidinCT (02-03-24)

Quick Reply: TMPS just shows dashes... any idea ?