LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Microphone Issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-23, 12:11 PM
Boykie
Instructor

Received 586 Likes on 415 Posts

VERY careful in that menu, Gerf is super correct.
Old 09-27-23, 12:46 PM
UTGS400
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Gerf
You can find instructions on this link.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...13-models.html

Be very careful what you do in this menu, I always take pictures or notes as I go along just in case.
There it is. Thank you Gerf!
Old 09-30-23, 08:11 PM
cryptodonis
Pit Crew

Received 72 Likes on 39 Posts

You can find instructions on this link.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...13-models.html

Be very careful what you do in this menu, I always take pictures or notes as I go along just in case.
Originally Posted by Boykie
VERY careful in that menu, Gerf is super correct.

Just to stress how important it is to heed this advice I will share a recent experience. A couple of months ago I decided I would scroll through the service menu that looks like pages of hexadecimal code and ended up completely disabling/removing the Bluetooth functionality from my system. Thankfully I was at least smart enough to take pictures of each page as I went through and although it took over a week just working at it when I had some free time I was able to fix it - but I was EXTREMELY lucky!! It would definitely be best to just stay away from that particular menu entirely.
Old 09-30-23, 09:38 PM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,282 Likes on 991 Posts

When the eBay replacement panel arrives, swap it out and hope that's all you need.
Old 10-04-23, 09:17 AM
UTGS400
Instructor

I installed the new overhead light/mic I received from an eBay purchase and nothing has changed. The mic output is maxed out and in diagnostics I have to talk really loud (almost shout) to get the mic to register.

Any other thoughts on what may cause the issue? I am looking at installing the Apple CarPlay module (I'm waiting on the Nov. group buy) and I'm not sure that will resolve the mic issue using the factory mic. I am considering installing another mic during the install but I hate to do that.

Last edited by UTGS400; 10-04-23 at 01:06 PM.
Old 10-16-23, 06:10 PM
UTGS400
Instructor

Does anybody have any idea what I should try next to fix this issue? Does anybody happen to have a wiring diagram of how the mic is wired into the system?
Old 10-16-23, 06:35 PM
swfla
Lead Lap

The mic does go through the "head" of the Nav system. So, it could be a problem in the head. I don't believe it's a common issue, but that's the next component to check IMHO. Has any aftermarket items been installed near or to the head unit recently? A loose connector is common enough in that situation.
The following users liked this post:
JohnnyC407 (10-19-23)
Old 10-16-23, 07:06 PM
UTGS400
Instructor

Originally Posted by swfla
The mic does go through the "head" of the Nav system. So, it could be a problem in the head. I don't believe it's a common issue, but that's the next component to check IMHO. Has any aftermarket items been installed near or to the head unit recently? A loose connector is common enough in that situation.
No...the car is 100% stock. I know the previous owner had the clock replaced by the dealership. I don't know how those are installed, but perhaps something came loose in the install of the clock?

I am hoping that the CarPlay install/upgrade will fix the issue but I really don't want to pay for that if the mic won't work. Also, I came across something saying that an old version of the SOS software could cause the issue. I don't understand how that could be the case and from my understanding the SOS system no longer functions due to the 3g network going away.
Old 10-16-23, 07:34 PM
swfla
Lead Lap

The clock does run thru the head as it's a GPS corrected timepiece. If it was replaced in the past few months, it could be related to a loose connector. But typically the clock dies in the first year, or it's fine. I wouldn't put much hope in the Carplay resolving the issue as it replaces the OEM mic (electronically bypassing it) but still runs through the head. I could be wrong as I don't know how every aftermarket system works.
Old 10-16-23, 07:49 PM
Gerf
Pole Position

Received 823 Likes on 608 Posts

Read this, maybe it will help.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...handsfree.html

post 34 and 48
Old 11-01-23, 07:08 PM
UTGS400
Instructor

Read this, maybe it will help.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...handsfree.html

post 34 and 48
I'm not finding anything in that thread that is helpful. The menu they are accessing I don't know how to access...I don't have a touch screen in my 14.

My next attempt to fix this will be installing the Grom Vline VL2. I believe the mic will need to be unplugged from the head unit and plugged into the vline unit. This should either fix the issue or narrow down the issue to the wiring between the head unit and overhead light assembly. I am hopeful that perhaps the issue is that the plug was not plugged all the way in when the dealership replaced the clock a few years ago (previous owner).
Old 11-01-23, 07:48 PM
swfla
Lead Lap

Why not give it a shot. Keep us posted as this is a tough issue we'd like to see resolved.
Old 11-02-23, 06:42 AM
Gerf
Pole Position

Received 823 Likes on 608 Posts

Originally Posted by UTGS400
I'm not finding anything in that thread that is helpful. The menu they are accessing I don't know how to access...I don't have a touch screen in my 14.
I included that link because the person stated those settings cured his problem, I know you have a newer model and I posted a link on how to access that menu for 2013 and up.
It's still the nav menu, has similar if not identical settings for the most part. I would try to sort out the mic problem before buying a Grom unit in hopes that it will solve your problem.

Maybe you're not speaking with authority... try talking like they do in a Japanese Samuri movie.
The following users liked this post:
swfla (11-02-23)
Old 11-02-23, 07:19 AM
UTGS400
Instructor

I included that link because the person stated those settings cured his problem, I know you have a newer model and I posted a link on how to access that menu for 2013 and up.
It's still the nav menu, has similar if not identical settings for the most part. I would try to sort out the mic problem before buying a Grom unit in hopes that it will solve your problem.

Maybe you're not speaking with authority... try talking like they do in a Japanese Samuri movie.
Lol. Let me try this. (Mouth moving a whole lot with only a few words coming out) "I FOLLOW INSTRUCTIONS AND IT NO HELP!"

I have the receive voice level at 0 and the send voice level at a max of 2 (it won't go higher). When I do the mic test, I have to speak very loudly (almost yell) to get the input reading in the top of the green section and touching the red section. When I speak this loud, the playback is clear. I wish I could turn up the send voice level to 5...but I can't. The up arrow grays out at +2. I really do home the mic cable was not fully connected after the clock was replaced. My experience when I was younger with these connect types is that they will work partially when plugged halfway in. It might be wishful thinking...but replacing the headunit or wiring harness is likely cost prohibitive. I'll have to live taking calls on my AirPods if that is the case.

I want the Apple CarPlay anyhow, so I'm not buying the Grom unit just to fix the mic...having up-to-date navigation apps, etc would be nice. I do hope it will resolve the mic issue though.
Old 11-02-23, 07:29 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

Many find the Lexus map system more cumbersome than, G Maps, IMaps or even Waze. So, GROM will make that nice for you as well as other apps. When you're installing it (be sure to order the proper adapter cables by year) you'll have the opportunity to get at the connectors. Who knows what you'll find, maybe even green corrosion as well as poor physical connection.

Quick Reply: Microphone Issues