LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Microphone Issues

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-23, 08:36 AM
Gerf
Racer

Received 789 Likes on 587 Posts

Originally Posted by UTGS400
When I do the mic test, I have to speak very loudly (almost yell) to get the input reading in the top of the green section and touching the red section. When I speak this loud, the playback is clear.
2 other things that I would try, in settings in your menu/settings/phone settings/sound settings I would try that at like midpoint because it states that messing with that can have negative effects on people hearing you...easy test.
The second thing, I just had a look at mine a 2013 and it has 2 mic looking ports above your head and I believe the one to the right is a dummy...the one closest to your right ear has a mesh foam filter and mine seems really stiff but I'm not having any issues. That could get plugged somewhat and cause a problem like yours because you say if you yell the recording playbacks are clear. Just spitballing at this point but both are fairly easy tests.
Old 11-02-23, 09:31 AM
UTGS400
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Gerf
2 other things that I would try, in settings in your menu/settings/phone settings/sound settings I would try that at like midpoint because it states that messing with that can have negative effects on people hearing you...easy test.
The second thing, I just had a look at mine a 2013 and it has 2 mic looking ports above your head and I believe the one to the right is a dummy...the one closest to your right ear has a mesh foam filter and mine seems really stiff but I'm not having any issues. That could get plugged somewhat and cause a problem like yours because you say if you yell the recording playbacks are clear. Just spitballing at this point but both are fairly easy tests.
I'll play around more with these settings.

The original overhead light assembly/mic screen was clean and so was the replacement overhead light assembly. Given that there was no improvement between the two light assemblies/mics that were installed, it leaves me to believe the issue is something else (software, head unit or wiring).
Old 11-02-23, 09:36 AM
UTGS400
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by swfla
Many find the Lexus map system more cumbersome than, G Maps, IMaps or even Waze. So, GROM will make that nice for you as well as other apps. When you're installing it (be sure to order the proper adapter cables by year) you'll have the opportunity to get at the connectors. Who knows what you'll find, maybe even green corrosion as well as poor physical connection.
I may have Grom install it...they are only about 30-40 minutes away from me. I haven't decided if it's worth the labor expense or not yet but I am on the group buy list for the hardware. There is also the option of using a mic they supply which I may fall back on if wiring the cars mic through the Vline VL2 box does not fix my mic issue.
Old 11-02-23, 10:16 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,272 Likes on 984 Posts

Originally Posted by UTGS400
I may have Grom install it...they are only about 30-40 minutes away from me. I haven't decided if it's worth the labor expense or not yet but I am on the group buy list for the hardware. There is also the option of using a mic they supply which I may fall back on if wiring the cars mic through the Vline VL2 box does not fix my mic issue.
The GROM mic is a sure fix. If they do the install, tip the installer in advance to check all connectors.