LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Noise at Cold start 2011 Lexus LS 460L w/air suspension

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-23, 12:11 PM
Boykie
Instructor

Received 586 Likes on 415 Posts

Not solenoids. VVTi gears. Camshafts out type of a job. Can you post a short video of that rattle to help narrow it down?
Old 09-27-23, 12:48 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,223 Likes on 909 Posts

Probably VVT rattle, if it doesn't just rattle for 1-2 seconds and stop it's unlikely to be the chain since you said it comes back.
The following users liked this post:
Boykie (09-27-23)
Old 09-27-23, 03:08 PM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,282 Likes on 991 Posts

This poster doesn't even know if he had air suspension. I think he needs to find a Lexus experienced shop. We're guessing based on his guesses...
Boykie (09-27-23)
Old 09-27-23, 06:14 PM
BossTweed
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Boykie
Not solenoids. VVTi gears. Camshafts out type of a job. Can you post a short video of that rattle to help narrow it down?

I’ve managed to narrow down the video to a few seconds. It will make this noise for about 3-5 minutes on cold start ups and it doesn’t matter if I let it sit or take right off the noise stays consistent for the same amount of time.
Attached Files
File Type: mov
IMG_0920.mov (13.60 MB, 45 views)
dan25man (09-28-23)
Old 09-27-23, 06:42 PM
Boykie
Instructor

Oh yea, quite pronounced. I honestly thought 'exhaust shielding rattling??' until it stopped rather abruptly. Now we got something to go off - people will chime in with theories and hopefully it's be narrowed down then finally diagnosed.
BossTweed (09-27-23)
Old 09-27-23, 06:43 PM
Boykie
Instructor

Just an idea (seeing you chose left side, the a/c compressor side) - can you play with A/C on/off and climate on/off? It may very well be the A/C compressor!
BossTweed (09-27-23)
Old 09-27-23, 07:29 PM
BossTweed
Driver School Candidate

[QUOTE=Boykie;11585919]Just an idea (seeing you chose left side, the a/c compressor side) - can you play with A/C on/off and climate on/off? It may very well be the A/C compressor![/QUOTE

I will check that tomorrow when I head out
Old 09-27-23, 07:31 PM
BossTweed
Driver School Candidate

Oh yea, quite pronounced. I honestly thought 'exhaust shielding rattling??' until it stopped rather abruptly. Now we got something to go off - people will chime in with theories and hopefully it's be narrowed down then finally diagnosed.

yeah that’s what’s so weird about it. It will make that noise for about 2-5 minutes on cold start. Start stop…..then start stop…… etc and once the engine is warm I don’t hear it anymore.
Old 09-27-23, 08:40 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 295 Likes on 253 Posts

I have a noise that was diagnosed as exhaust shield rattling in 2016 and fixed under warranty. The sound has returned in the last few months. Here's the recording. It gets much louder after a few seconds because I moved the phone closer to the car. The car is inside a garage, which amplifies the sounds too.

Rattle.mp3

It is especially pronounced on cold mornings and only on first start. That's why I thought the OP also had the same problem-until he posted the video. His car sounds quite different. I am taking my car to the dealer to be diagnosed and fixed in a few weeks. They fixed it in 2016 and I expect they will say it's the exhaust shield again.

Is exhaust shield rattle a common issue with many cars?
BossTweed (09-29-23)
Old 09-27-23, 09:08 PM
swfla
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by BossTweed
yeah that’s what’s so weird about it. It will make that noise for about 2-5 minutes on cold start. Start stop…..then start stop…… etc and once the engine is warm I don’t hear it anymore.
Do yourself a favor and pay $200-300 for a diagnostic from an independent shop or dealer. You've already been down one unnecessary dead end of your own doing with air suspension pump that you were CERTAIN was the issue. The chances are you're barely closer now. Then come back here with some professional hands on opinions. AC compressor, fuel injectors, vvt cams, timing chains, brake and accumulator pump noise, too many widely different possibilities. A shop can check all the mentioned areas and eliminate 3-4 out of 5 possibilities of them. 1 item will be left. We all want to see you resolve this. Bring it to the shop late in the day, let it sit overnight so they can see and hearing the morning the cold start that you're basing this on. Yelp is a great place to find reviews for a Lexus/Japanese independent expert in your area of NC. The noises that all these items make sound similar. It's the smart thing to do for very little money and saves time. Creech, Watch, Renaissance, and Happy Jap are four shops in your area that specialize in Japanese cars. There, I've done the initial research for you.

Last edited by swfla; 09-27-23 at 09:23 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by swfla:
BossTweed (09-28-23), Boykie (09-28-23)
Old 09-28-23, 05:18 AM
BossTweed
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by swfla
Do yourself a favor and pay $200-300 for a diagnostic from an independent shop or dealer. You've already been down one unnecessary dead end of your own doing with air suspension pump that you were CERTAIN was the issue. The chances are you're barely closer now. Then come back here with some professional hands on opinions. AC compressor, fuel injectors, vvt cams, timing chains, brake and accumulator pump noise, too many widely different possibilities. A shop can check all the mentioned areas and eliminate 3-4 out of 5 possibilities of them. 1 item will be left. We all want to see you resolve this. Bring it to the shop late in the day, let it sit overnight so they can see and hearing the morning the cold start that you're basing this on. Yelp is a great place to find reviews for a Lexus/Japanese independent expert in your area of NC. The noises that all these items make sound similar. It's the smart thing to do for very little money and saves time. Creech, Watch, Renaissance, and Happy Jap are four shops in your area that specialize in Japanese cars. There, I've done the initial research for you.

Thank you, I will get it looked at and post back the results as soon as I can
dan25man (09-28-23)
Old 09-28-23, 07:28 AM
dan25man
Intermediate

Received 145 Likes on 101 Posts

@BossTweed the clip you posted. That's the exact same sound I have as well. (300,000 miles on my 2014 460) Only at start up. gets louder and then stops. Looking forward to what you find.

I did take my car to a local shop (not Japanese specific) I showed the guy a video I took. He didn't have any ideas specifically. But when he tried to get the sound to happen again (even on cold starts) it didn't make the sound. Idk. Hope you find out more.

So far all I do it rev the engine to 2,000 RPM for 1-2 min until the temp just starts to creep up past the "C" mark. Just to avoid engine damage (if that's what the noise even is). No codes thrown yet.

Edit, I don't have air syspension on mine.
BossTweed (09-29-23)
Old 09-28-23, 09:03 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by dan25man
@BossTweed the clip you posted. That's the exact same sound I have as well. (300,000 miles on my 2014 460) Only at start up. gets louder and then stops. Looking forward to what you find.

I did take my car to a local shop (not Japanese specific) I showed the guy a video I took. He didn't have any ideas specifically. But when he tried to get the sound to happen again (even on cold starts) it didn't make the sound. Idk. Hope you find out more.

So far all I do it rev the engine to 2,000 RPM for 1-2 min until the temp just starts to creep up past the "C" mark. Just to avoid engine damage (if that's what the noise even is). No codes thrown yet.

Edit, I don't have air syspension on mine.
Going to a shop that doesn't have specific Lexus expertise renders your experience useless as you found out. Cars aren't "all the same" any more.
Old 09-29-23, 08:10 AM
AirAve
2nd gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Bro I'm having the same exact issue. My dad said it sounds like I have a fuel injector going bad. I'm not going to be able to get to my mechanic until Sunday. I'll be sure to update you on what he says.
The following 2 users liked this post by AirAve:
BossTweed (10-01-23), skyzhuang (11-08-23)
Old 10-03-23, 02:56 PM
BossTweed
Driver School Candidate

Sorry for the late update:

I’ve just been able to get the car into the shop. I played a few recordings “with the engine cover off” and had the tech listen to it and also while the car was warm. He saying it doesn’t sound like nothing major because it sounded normal when up to temperature and I’ve experienced no loss of power or anything like that and it’s weird that at cold start it comes and goes as if building up then stops all together once warm but he will know in the morning once he looks more into it himself. He did mention maybe chance the oil but the oil looked clean and it was changed about 5k miles back. ( used amsoil 5w20).

will let you all know once I get the results back.
dan25man (10-05-23)

Quick Reply: Noise at Cold start 2011 Lexus LS 460L w/air suspension