LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Noise at Cold start 2011 Lexus LS 460L w/air suspension

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-23, 05:44 AM
AirAve
2nd gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Sorry for he late response but I spoke with my mechanic...

He said it sounds like the direct injection high pressure fuel pump. Apparently there's 2 of these, one on each side of the engine. The cost....... $1000-1600 for just the part. He didn't give me a labor cost but he said it wouldn't be bad. Once I found out the cost of the part I decided that I'm gonna let it tap for a little while longer lol. Apparently its still functioning well enough that it's not affecting my gas mileage. But it is causing several different codes to appear and making the check VSC system come on which is just annoying.
Old 10-05-23, 07:38 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,272 Likes on 984 Posts

Those injector pumps have oil feeding them, just be aware that oil starvation can leave you stranded.
Old 10-05-23, 06:08 PM
Boykie
Instructor

Received 582 Likes on 412 Posts

Get an ebay part, nowhere near 1.6k. Just make sure you get same part no. or newer (even better if from 2013-17), get two high pressure rail crush rings, hp fuel pump ring seal and inner seal. Done. I saw those pumps go around 100usd + about 50 bucks in gaskets. I have both of mine replaced with 13+ units, just because. Had no noises but just because. The job itself is DIYable.

Btw aren't exactly oil fed. There are sprayers that somewhat lubricate the pumps shoe movement, but it's still just a tight springloaded piston that is directly driven by a dedicated camshaft lobe. Metal on metal via oil film.

Add - 'sounds like' from a mech that gave this quote - isn't really a diagnosis still.
Old 10-05-23, 07:25 PM
swfla
Lead Lap

Great suggestion about used from Ebay, convenient. Really cringe when someone says they will ignore a needed repair. Appreciate the clarification on lubrication. Always learning here.
Old 10-08-23, 08:06 PM
BossTweed
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Latest update:!!!!

So the independent mechanic I took it too had it for a few days and couldn’t get the noise to replicate until the day I was coming to pick it up then he heard it. Says he’s stumped himself but he could feel a rhythmic tapping when he placed his had on the valve cover (driver side) as it was making the noise. Told me to take it to dealer to get them to give a definite diagnosis and they could do the repair for cheaper.
I had them do an oil and filter change while I was there (5w20 full synthetic) and then this happened.

1. it still made the noise when I picked it up after the oil change. Drive it home (about 3.5 miles) and parked it
2. the next day when I started the car the tapping noise was made when I first started it, not the usual after it revs down. Noise didn’t appear after that. Drove it for about 5hrs then back home and parked.
3. next day when i started it, no noise upon immediate start, and the initial concerned noise was extremely soft and barley noticeable. Makes me wonder if maybe I should do an engine flush and see what happens.

im not sure of the oil and filter brand the shop used but the oil and filter I used during the issues I had with the noise was amsoil and a OEM Lexus filter I got directly from Toyota.

maybe someone can help narrow this down before I drop it off to Lexus for a diagnostic check which I’ll do anyway. Will keep you all posted.
The following users liked this post:
dan25man (10-09-23)
Old 10-09-23, 06:54 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

0w20 is the recommended weight. Many here have said that going to 5w can create issues like noise and premature wear. Just telling you that I've read it many times. An oil flush for sticky rings is something to consider. Done by a shop, it's safe and can also help prevent oil blowby on the rings.
BossTweed (10-10-23)
Old 10-18-23, 05:05 AM
BossTweed
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Latest update

Ok, so Lexus pretty much wanted me to monitor the situation and to make an appointment if it returned (since I just had an independent look at) to bring it in then or if I wanted to pay I could bring it in anyway.

So since I had the oil changed the noise hasn’t returned, and I’ve driven it approximately 2200 miles ( drive trucks for Walmart had to drive a few miles the past few weeks to different distro’s to help out) and it’s been cold here lately in the morning here in N.C and S.C and even on the cold days, no noise (thank you God in Heaven)
so as of right now the only remedy I’ve used is just a plain ole oil change.

now I did forget to note that I had previously used Lucas oil treatment before and during the noise I don’t know if this could have cause the noise I’m not to sure, or if this oil change will be a permanent fix (praying that it is) but just wanted to document my experience just in case anyone else is going through the same issues maybe it may offer some form of help.

as always will keep you all updated if anything changes or just to tap back in.

thanks to all of you for your suggestions and support, you’ve all made owning my 1st Lexus a great experience so far.

be safe, God bless.
dan25man (10-18-23)
Old 10-18-23, 12:52 PM
Anfanger
Pole Position

Received 875 Likes on 647 Posts

I hope, you used low viscosity oil treatment. Otherwise, you could use 5w-30 anyway.
Old 11-05-23, 12:12 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 294 Likes on 252 Posts

Originally Posted by comotiger
I have a noise that was diagnosed as exhaust shield rattling in 2016 and fixed under warranty. The sound has returned in the last few months. Here's the recording. It gets much louder after a few seconds because I moved the phone closer to the car. The car is inside a garage, which amplifies the sounds too.

It is especially pronounced on cold mornings and only on first start. That's why I thought the OP also had the same problem-until he posted the video. His car sounds quite different. I am taking my car to the dealer to be diagnosed and fixed in a few weeks. They fixed it in 2016 and I expect they will say it's the exhaust shield again.

Is exhaust shield rattle a common issue with many cars?
Update: The dealership tried fixing the rattle by tightening some bolts on the heat shield on the exhaust pipe. The noise was reduced but not eliminated. They replaced the front exhaust pipe assembly (17410-38480) and the noise is gone. Parts and labor was $3659 and covered by Lexus Platinum warranty.
The following 3 users liked this post by comotiger:
Boykie (11-05-23), Striker223 (11-06-23), swfla (11-05-23)
Old 11-08-23, 11:52 AM
skyzhuang
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Is it sounds like this:

I add two bottles of fuel injector cleaner, then fixed.