LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Sort of a non-tech thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-23, 06:50 PM
Boykie
Instructor

Received 586 Likes on 415 Posts
Default Sort of a non-tech thread

Public disclosure of sorts.
I'm a little cranky as some may have noticed - that's due to me flying all the way across the globe for a fancy vacation in a paradise setting. But that entailed two sleepless layovers, 5 hr each, obviously 3 long flights and a touch of jetlag to finish it off. Now I'm back to local time and it's all good.
So, disclosure - I'm going to drive my first (ever) Tesla (model Y long range, white) which I rented from this Friday.
There's certain anticipation and trepidation I'm feeling since doing that.
I know a lot of club folk drive or at least tried a Tesla.

So, does it have a potential to ruin me?
Or build quality, noise isolation (including road/tire noise), seat comfort, ride quality is still too far removed from my luxury flagship?
Please, thoughts. I can still cancel and get a beamer or a fresh merc (hate mercs but well....)

Thanks guys!

ps for Gerf: sadly not that direction across the globe. Directly opposite. But it's so nice and sunny here. Step by step.
Old 09-29-23, 10:26 PM
BB9
Pit Crew

Received 80 Likes on 57 Posts

I don't think Model Y will hold water on the long trip if you used to the comfort of the LS. Tesla build quality is not that of the LS either. Please let us know how it works out for you. Enjoy the trip.
Old 09-30-23, 05:38 AM
Boykie
Instructor

Thank you. And now is the day after the first Tesla experience of mine. So.
It's a black model Y, long range, dual motor.
First impressions. Oh wow what a CAR. Took a 70 mile trip and 70 miles back, both ends are in towns with traffic.
Omg it pulls. Oh it pulls. Acceleration is brutal compared to anything I'm used to.
Comfort - there is some comfort. Seats are simplistic but ok, nothing special.
Controls - minimalist, had to read thru manual to even turn the hazards on. And by now I've already forgot how to do that haha.
Power capacity/range - got it with 98%, that translated to 580kms (360 miles?). Remaining power reserve metering is quite accurate.
Build quality - yea, not chinese cheap, but still, creaky plastic all over. Tolerable at best.
Soundproofing - obviously lacks it, road noise enters via wheel arches. Again, there's some (no noises coming thru doors etc).
Parking - I was expecting something more advanced than distance indications and a view from 3 cameras. My LS still parks itself if I want it to.
AUTOPILOT suite - mine got Autosteer(beta) and no Nav-on-AP or FullSelfDriving. I was kind of expecting plenty of AI fun.
That, coupled with less than intuitive controls, led to a 'silly goose' moment:
Already on highway I thought (after engaging cruise) 'it's all it's got???' - yes it did do DRCC, as good as my LS, yes it did a little LKA, as my LS does, and..Nothing more. I was kinda miffed, but Ok, I thought, LS with DRCC/LKA spoiled me. But I expected more! That is until I finally pulled the stalk down ENOUGH times and AutoSteer engaged. F me sideways. IT'S STUNNING! I wasn't expecting the car to really take over steering. Not some measly corrections, not some weak assist - blue markers light up and it takes over. For those who aren't Tesla'd yet - you can't turn the steering wheel when it's engaged. It becomes stiff (what's what she said) and resists any steering input. In that mode it finally was impressive to me. Even in slow town traffic with many speed limit changes, traffic lights, speed bumps - it goes thru all that with ease and vigor haha. Only thing manual - I still had to stop at red lights (of course I did experiments but no, if there's no car in front and lights are red - I have a chime but have to stop myself).

Overall - my SECOND car (if it ever comes to that) may very well be a Tesla.
AMA

Last edited by Boykie; 09-30-23 at 06:20 AM.
Old 09-30-23, 06:06 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,223 Likes on 909 Posts

My thoughts are similar other than they don't pull that hard past 30mph vs what I'm used to other than the plaids but that's a given.
The following users liked this post:
Boykie (09-30-23)
Old 09-30-23, 06:13 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,282 Likes on 991 Posts

Interesting but not surprising that our LS is so good in so many areas compared to others. I wish mine had self parking, DRCC/LKA. I had a MB with those features and really miss it. I also miss the surround cameras it had. The self driving in the Tesla sounds really impressive. While fast acceleration is impressive, it takes quiet and comfort to impress me as well. If I could afford to lease/buy MB under warranty, that'd be my next choice after the LS. If anyone has test driven the S class full electric MB, I'd like to hear their comparison.
Boykie (09-30-23)
Old 09-30-23, 07:58 AM
Gerf
Pole Position

Received 823 Likes on 608 Posts

Originally Posted by Boykie
ps for Gerf: sadly not that direction across the globe. Directly opposite. But it's so nice and sunny here. Step by step.
That can't be Russia so you must be/were in Australia.

Most of the people around here driving Teslas darting around in traffic just because they can are Chinese and they're not known for their driving skills to begin with. Can't wait till the roads are full of these cars
Old 09-30-23, 08:11 AM
Cooker883
Driver

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

Unless you’re an acceleration junkie, the Tesla can’t compare to anything in the Lexus lineup.
The following 2 users liked this post by Cooker883:
Boykie (09-30-23), DavidinCT (10-27-23)
Old 09-30-23, 08:14 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

On the subject of quick pick speeds, I think Gerf has a good point about the potential city driving issues caused by "heavy" feet in all electric vehicles. Mfgrs will likely need to add a "eco" button or similar to slow down throttle response times.
Old 09-30-23, 04:21 PM
Boykie
Instructor

Adding to the experience (I still have it). First supercharger (from 25% to full) - actually pretty decent (around 35mins total and that included a walk to validate my lot ticket - yea, supercharger in a gated area. Go figure. Ticket validation was free though). And oh my, Tesla 'crowd'. Such posers hahaha. So much VS. Joking - actually felt really welcome, one guy even reminded me to pick a spot with no adjacent car charging (that apparently doubles the time for both by halving current) and pointed out which plug to use for this Y etc. Yea, I was trying to screw the hole with a wrong plug, must've looked real funny to them. "Look at this virgin fumble" or something.
Autosteer is wooooonkyyy. Idk if it's a local thing, but... From now I'm only using it on highway. I mean my LS lka never attempted to aggressively jerk to the left and with huge resistance in steering wheel while me trying to do something!!!take over.
Oh and those turn signals. Not to my liking.

ps. Gerf, bingo. And I'm used to RHD so nothing special.
Old 09-30-23, 05:11 PM
Boykie
Instructor

Originally Posted by swfla
On the subject of quick pick speeds, I think Gerf has a good point about the potential city driving issues caused by "heavy" feet in all electric vehicles. Mfgrs will likely need to add a "eco" button or similar to slow down throttle response times.
It has 3 accel modes - Chill, Normal and Performance. I'm on Chill. I also chose 'Hold' accelerator behavior, so it drives like a golf cart, rarely using brake pedal.
swfla (09-30-23)
Old 10-02-23, 04:12 PM
Boykie
Instructor

It was short lived, but it was good while it lasted. But I think back at home certain black shiny beast awaits. I think with new brembo calipers installed I will renew my vows.
Paying at the gas station will suuuuck.. Nevermind, soldier on. At least it takes only 3 minutes. Hahaha*cry*
Old 10-26-23, 10:25 AM
Boykie
Instructor

*shakes head* Telsa-shmesla! What was I thinking?
Lexus. LS. only. End of.

PS. Crappy feeling, that every time I lift my foot ENERGY GOES TO WASTE, is wearing off.
Old 10-26-23, 11:00 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

From what I've read, in the US, Tesla charging stations are quite dependable and in populated areas, readily available. The other charging companies seem to be having mild to severe issues with cellular connectivity to their servers. Making it impossible to charge your vehicle. Also cited were software and damaged connector issues. We're several years away from dependable and convenient charging. I plan to keep my '13 63k LS longer than that. Barring any unforeseen "disasters". BTW, I have full insurance coverage (including collision) through Costco at $750/yr in CA.
Old 10-26-23, 09:04 PM
Vtallysx4
Pit Crew

Received 73 Likes on 57 Posts

One of my other cars is an electric Hyundai. Electric is awesome, but, my LS is miles better. I did test drive the Lexus electric and it was really nice, but the range is absolutely atrocious. In solidarity, LS always!
Old 10-27-23, 09:32 PM
Mrbungle11
Intermediate

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Boykie
Thank you. And now is the day after the first Tesla experience of mine. So.
It's a black model Y, long range, dual motor.
First impressions. Oh wow what a CAR. Took a 70 mile trip and 70 miles back, both ends are in towns with traffic.
Omg it pulls. Oh it pulls. Acceleration is brutal compared to anything I'm used to.
Comfort - there is some comfort. Seats are simplistic but ok, nothing special.
Controls - minimalist, had to read thru manual to even turn the hazards on. And by now I've already forgot how to do that haha.
Power capacity/range - got it with 98%, that translated to 580kms (360 miles?). Remaining power reserve metering is quite accurate.
Build quality - yea, not chinese cheap, but still, creaky plastic all over. Tolerable at best.
Soundproofing - obviously lacks it, road noise enters via wheel arches. Again, there's some (no noises coming thru doors etc).
Parking - I was expecting something more advanced than distance indications and a view from 3 cameras. My LS still parks itself if I want it to.
AUTOPILOT suite - mine got Autosteer(beta) and no Nav-on-AP or FullSelfDriving. I was kind of expecting plenty of AI fun.
That, coupled with less than intuitive controls, led to a 'silly goose' moment:
Already on highway I thought (after engaging cruise) 'it's all it's got???' - yes it did do DRCC, as good as my LS, yes it did a little LKA, as my LS does, and..Nothing more. I was kinda miffed, but Ok, I thought, LS with DRCC/LKA spoiled me. But I expected more! That is until I finally pulled the stalk down ENOUGH times and AutoSteer engaged. F me sideways. IT'S STUNNING! I wasn't expecting the car to really take over steering. Not some measly corrections, not some weak assist - blue markers light up and it takes over. For those who aren't Tesla'd yet - you can't turn the steering wheel when it's engaged. It becomes stiff (what's what she said) and resists any steering input. In that mode it finally was impressive to me. Even in slow town traffic with many speed limit changes, traffic lights, speed bumps - it goes thru all that with ease and vigor haha. Only thing manual - I still had to stop at red lights (of course I did experiments but no, if there's no car in front and lights are red - I have a chime but have to stop myself).

Overall - my SECOND car (if it ever comes to that) may very well be a Tesla.
AMA

what does Chinese cheap means? Have you ever driven in the Chinese car before?

If so, what model and brand

Quick Reply: Sort of a non-tech thread