LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Burping sound when brakes released

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-23, 08:49 PM
Gerf
Racer

Received 789 Likes on 587 Posts

Originally Posted by BB9
My local mechanic found this service bulletin that was calling for the brake bleeding, then if issue remains updating brake control module software and only then replacing the actuator. In my case it was fixed after complete brake system bleeding. So far everything behaves as it should.
There have been others that have bled the system and thought they solved their noise problem but it's only a temporary fix.
The following users liked this post:
swfla (10-31-23)
Old 10-31-23, 08:08 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,272 Likes on 984 Posts

Yes. This also applies to other issues as well. Hope you don't have a reoccurrence soon. But if you do, please post.
Old 11-02-23, 09:57 AM
Vtallysx4
Pit Crew

Received 73 Likes on 57 Posts

I get a bite sound when I depress the brakes, and they are super grabby, you actually hear them slam down. Took it to Lexus and they documented, checked it, took it for a test drive with me (wouldn't you know it? It didn't do it!). It happens when the car has been driving for a bit, it's annoying as hell in traffic, but no codes pop up yet. It's always been a bit grabby, but has gotten worse over time and with the latest pad/rotor change (akebono brakes, powerstop rotors)- according to the master tech at this dealership though "it is normal".
Old 11-02-23, 10:13 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

I have the same rotors and pad brands for (5k now) on my 2013 with 63k and no issues. Rotors can warp, even shortly after install. There are several other things that come up on Google search. Might even be bearing wear. Perhaps a visit to a specialty brake shop for a thorough check? Has the brake fluid ever been flushed? High humidity states should be done every few years.
Old 11-02-23, 10:36 AM
Vtallysx4
Pit Crew

The rotors and brakes are good. At the last change I requested a flush, by the looks of the fluid it was done. About 2.5k miles since. It's not the brakes or rotors. The module is probably on it's way out, as this has gotten progressively more noticeable in the years I've had the car. Just waiting for the codes to pop up and then go back and have it replaced.
Old 11-02-23, 11:18 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

You think Lexus service wouldn't have mentioned this? You may be right. There is a current campaign from Lexus right now but you must have codes to qualify.
Old 11-02-23, 11:26 AM
Vtallysx4
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by swfla
You think Lexus service wouldn't have mentioned this? You may be right. There is a current campaign from Lexus right now but you must have codes to qualify.
I went to Lexus with a copy of the letter. They said it didn't qualify yet, due to no codes, but they did say they documented my concerns and the "check up" and if the codes pop up they will replace it per the letter. It's 10 years old (11 really), they did the check free of charge and washed my car for free. When I asked what I owe, the answer was "there wasn't anything found wrong, we won't charge you, we are here to help!".
Old 11-02-23, 11:55 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

Sounds like dealer didn't want to "speculate" so they could keep things "low key". Thus no charge. It happens. Sometimes brake fluid change improves issues, but not this time.
Old 02-21-24, 09:50 PM
BB9
Pit Crew

Received 78 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Gerf
There have been others that have bled the system and thought they solved their noise problem but it's only a temporary fix.
Well, temporary fix it was. After complete brake system bleeding and linear actuator calibration everything was good for some time. Then this noise came back. At this point I decided to use my warranty an I took it to the dealer. Dealer suggested that the actuator is going bad and needs to be replaced, however they need to make sure that the system was properly bled and actuator calibration performed correctly by the previous shop. So the dealer bled and calibrated it again and everything was good, for a few days. I called the dealer again, at which point it was decided that the actuator has to go. Funny enough, when I was driving to the dealer to get it replaced all noise stopped. I guess this thing got scared. LOL. Anyhow, I hope this story is over at this point.
Old 02-22-24, 04:01 AM
Hamby86
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by BB9
Well, temporary fix it was. After complete brake system bleeding and linear actuator calibration everything was good for some time. Then this noise came back. At this point I decided to use my warranty an I took it to the dealer. Dealer suggested that the actuator is going bad and needs to be replaced, however they need to make sure that the system was properly bled and actuator calibration performed correctly by the previous shop. So the dealer bled and calibrated it again and everything was good, for a few days. I called the dealer again, at which point it was decided that the actuator has to go. Funny enough, when I was driving to the dealer to get it replaced all noise stopped. I guess this thing got scared. LOL. Anyhow, I hope this story is over at this point.
My 2007 has a "burping" after depressing the brake hard and letting up but the actuator was replaced in January of 2020. Is this replacement still under warranty?
Old 02-22-24, 11:57 AM
BB9
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Hamby86
My 2007 has a "burping" after depressing the brake hard and letting up but the actuator was replaced in January of 2020. Is this replacement still under warranty?
You would have to check with Lexus on that. There's ongoing campaign and your car might be covered. In my case it was covered by Lexus warranty because I bough this car "Lexus Certified".
Old 02-22-24, 12:19 PM
Hamby86
Rookie

Originally Posted by BB9
You would have to check with Lexus on that. There's ongoing campaign and your car might be covered. In my case it was covered by Lexus warranty because I bough this car "Lexus Certified".
Thanks for this. The work was done at a Lexus dealership under a previous owner. I will be taking it to my Lexus of Lexington dealer for an oil change soon and will ask about this.
Old 02-22-24, 02:21 PM
Gerf
Racer

Received 789 Likes on 587 Posts

The work was done at a Lexus dealership under a previous owner. I will be taking it to my Lexus of Lexington dealer for an oil change soon and will ask about this.
Toyota/Lexus usually will not cover these types of repairs twice if the first was done under warranty unless you take it back to the dealer that originally replaced it..even then it would have to be within a year from installation and they were willing to do a parts warranty on the actuator.
I think your best scenario would be if the last owner paid for the repair and maybe just maybe another dealer would run a warranty claim based on the extension on that tsb.
Old 02-22-24, 03:28 PM
Hamby86
Rookie

Originally Posted by Gerf
Toyota/Lexus usually will not cover these types of repairs twice if the first was done under warranty unless you take it back to the dealer that originally replaced it..even then it would have to be within a year from installation and they were willing to do a parts warranty on the actuator.
I think your best scenario would be if the last owner paid for the repair and maybe just maybe another dealer would run a warranty claim based on the extension on that tsb.
I'm assuming that's the issue. When I depress the brake and push it pretty far down and then when I release it makes a distinct noise. When slowly braking coming to a stop it seems to not brake smoothly but it doesn't make noise at all while braking except what I previously described.
Old 02-22-24, 07:32 PM
BB9
Pit Crew

I'm assuming that's the issue. When I depress the brake and push it pretty far down and then when I release it makes a distinct noise. When slowly braking coming to a stop it seems to not brake smoothly but it doesn't make noise at all while braking except what I previously described.
What you describing is exactly what was happening on my car. You can try brake system bleeding with linear actuator calibration (if you haven't tried it yet) but you have to use Techstream for this procedure and it has to be done right. I'd recommend to go straight to the dealer because Lexus would have to verify proper bleeding before they condemn the actuator and they don't trust other shops in this matter. I did bleeding at the local shop at first but the dealer had to do it again anyway and I had to pay for it. Bleeding did helped me for some time but at the end actuator had to be replaced.

Quick Reply: Burping sound when brakes released