LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

2014 LS 460 - brake actuator issue: does low speed jerking affect transmission?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-23, 06:49 AM
jd23dr6
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2014 LS 460 - brake actuator issue: does low speed jerking affect transmission?

My 2014 LS jerks / rocks back in forth during low speed braking.

The feeling is as if the brakes are applied then let go then applied then let go, despite applying constant brake pedal force from the driver. I suspect this is a brake actuator issue.

My question is does this issue affect the transmission of the car? Will it damage transmission?

Can I leave it be until it gets worse or will that damage anything else in the process?
Old 10-07-23, 07:10 AM
Anfanger
Pole Position

Received 875 Likes on 647 Posts

Any error codes? Any vibrations?
Old 10-07-23, 07:11 AM
jd23dr6
10th Gear

Originally Posted by Anfanger
Any error codes? Any vibrations?
no error codes and no vibration, just a very mild jerking motion at low speed braking.
Old 10-07-23, 07:23 AM
Anfanger
Pole Position

Have you checked your rotors or entire brakes for any issues? I would still connect Techstream or as advanced alternative and check for error codes.
Old 10-07-23, 07:31 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,272 Likes on 984 Posts

Give us some background last date/miles ago brakes and rotors were replaced, was the car braking fine previously, what repair or driving incident precipitated the brake grabbing? Any hard braking or lots of downhill braking? If it's the brakes, it likely won't affect transmission, you're stopping not trying to accelerate. Why do you suspect actuator. I agree w/ Anfanger, any warning lights, have you used a code reader to check for codes? It may just be warped rotors, it can happen for several reasons.
Old 10-07-23, 07:37 AM
jd23dr6
10th Gear

Have you checked your rotors or entire brakes for any issues? I would still connect Techstream or as advanced alternative and check for error codes.
Car was examined at three places. But no one really knows what do do beyond pads and rotors.

rotor and pads were changed but issue persists.

attaching pictures from the computer scanning test.

Old 10-07-23, 07:42 AM
jd23dr6
10th Gear

Originally Posted by swfla
Give us some background last date/miles ago brakes and rotors were replaced, was the car braking fine previously, what repair or driving incident precipitated the brake grabbing? Any hard braking or lots of downhill braking? If it's the brakes, it likely won't affect transmission, you're stopping not trying to accelerate. Why do you suspect actuator. I agree w/ Anfanger, any warning lights, have you used a code reader to check for codes? It may just be warped rotors, it can happen for several reasons.
Hello, thank you so much for your help and interest. No warning lights currently on (driven for 300km with no warning lights)

I have attached in a reply above the computer test details.

The car has 230k km (140k miles). I bought the car a month ago and the owner told me there was an issue with the brakes. I had it checked by 3 different mechanics including dealership and no one told me anything about brake actuator. The pads and rotors were changed yesterday and the issue persists that is why i am suspecting actuator.

I don’t know much about how the car was driven as I just bought it but all PPI places reported it was very well kept and maintained at the dealership, with “rock solid engine and transmission”.

the jerking issue is itself is tolerable. What I’m afraid of is damage to something else if nothing is done (transmission can be ruled out?)
Old 10-07-23, 08:20 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,188 Likes on 884 Posts

Perform an actuator offset relearn, I've dealt with this problem before but the opposite direction. If you so much as touched the pedal it would slam on the brakes full power lol!

If your car refuses to relearn your brake actuator is near death, you can also cheat this by removing the controller and using a car with a known good unit to relearn on. I did so with a customer car using my car to relearn his module so he wouldn't have to replace his actuator
Old 10-07-23, 08:23 AM
Gerf
Racer

Received 789 Likes on 587 Posts

So the brakes feel and act normally when at higher speeds? sometimes at low speeds an out of round tire will give you a feeling like described.
It's funny you haven't seen a warning light with the accumulator and speed sensor codes being current, did the shop you went to erase those codes?
Old 10-07-23, 08:29 AM
jd23dr6
10th Gear

Originally Posted by Striker223
Perform an actuator offset relearn, I've dealt with this problem before but the opposite direction. If you so much as touched the pedal it would slam on the brakes full power lol!

If your car refuses to relearn your brake actuator is near death, you can also cheat this by removing the controller and using a car with a known good unit to relearn on. I did so with a customer car using my car to relearn his module so he wouldn't have to replace his actuator
Will attempt to do that thank you. If I dont address it, will I be damaging the transmission or any other component from the constant low speed jerking?
Old 10-07-23, 08:32 AM
jd23dr6
10th Gear

Originally Posted by Gerf
So the brakes feel and act normally when at higher speeds? sometimes at low speeds an out of round tire will give you a feeling like described.
It's funny you haven't seen a warning light with the accumulator and speed sensor codes being current, did the shop you went to erase those codes?
yes exactly, high speed feels normal. Only jerks mildly during low speed.

i dont think they erased anything. But they did change the battery..yes weird that no codes, but the car feels fine and the mechanics told me it was and nothing to worry about.

just had to change cooling fan motor, belt tensioner, fuel pump gasket and head gasket cover.

what do you think? Should I address the issue if it’s still tolerable,
or will it damage something else if left unattended?
Old 10-07-23, 08:45 AM
Gerf
Racer

Received 789 Likes on 587 Posts

It wouldn't hurt to do what Striker suggested if you have access to techstream.

Did you burn your new brakes in? there are topics here for directions if you don't know how. If the guy you bought from already knew about it he probably downplayed the issue and maybe you need the actuator/pump replacement.
The only thing it can damage is the whole front end of your car if the brakes fail.
Old 10-07-23, 09:21 AM
jd23dr6
10th Gear

Originally Posted by Gerf
It wouldn't hurt to do what Striker suggested if you have access to techstream.

Did you burn your new brakes in? there are topics here for directions if you don't know how. If the guy you bought from already knew about it he probably downplayed the issue and maybe you need the actuator/pump replacement.
The only thing it can damage is the whole front end of your car if the brakes fail.
No didn’t really burn them in. Will do that as well.

Owner didn’t really downplay it, just genuinely did not know what was wrong and shop didn’t as well.

The problem here is lack of intelligent and skilled mechanics. They’ll just throw parts at the problem and pray it helps.

That is why im reluctant to take it there unless issue gets worse. So what I understand from your last sentence, is that no mechanical damage to the transmission or anything else will occur as a result of the low speed perpetual jerking motion, but that there is risk of accident if the brakes fail, correct?
Old 10-07-23, 09:35 AM
Anfanger
Pole Position

You also got problems with speed sensors (faulty ABS engagement?), I doubt, any re-learn problem will do anything about it. Was the car totaled, probably flooded? Judging by error codes, somebody worked on electrical problems after flooding, accident aftermath etc.
Old 10-07-23, 09:39 AM
jd23dr6
10th Gear

You also got problems with speed sensors (faulty ABS engagement?), I doubt, any re-learn problem will do anything about it. Was the car totaled, probably flooded? Judging by error codes, somebody worked on electrical problems after flooding, accident aftermath etc.
No major accidents and no airbag deployment, chassis showed no sign of accident. Also car was not flooded, it lived all its life in a dry desert city with barely any rain.

Quick Reply: 2014 LS 460 - brake actuator issue: does low speed jerking affect transmission?