LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

looking at a 2008 - things to look for?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-23, 03:57 PM
rmak
Intermediate

Received 138 Likes on 102 Posts
Default looking at a 2008 - things to look for?

I am looking at a 2008 LS 460, just over 110k. Wondering about trouble items. After searching this forum I am aware of control arms and other suspension items. According to the records it has had valve springs replaced around 35k. I will look for the coolant on the transmission bellhousing for the lifter valley leak. I did not see any repairs to the brake system for the ABS controller.

Are there any other issues that I should be concerned with? I am a mechanic so smaller issues are no problem.

Thank you in advance!

Ron
Old 10-11-23, 04:10 PM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,282 Likes on 991 Posts

see FAQ at top of forum. also the sticky vinyl interior is an issue that may be disguised with a dressing temporarily
The following users liked this post:
rmak (10-11-23)
Old 10-11-23, 04:18 PM
rmak
Intermediate

Not sure how I missed that....... A lot of great info thank you!
Old 10-11-23, 05:38 PM
rmak
Intermediate

This car has had the complete interior replaced (door panels, dash, glove box etc.), fuel rail, valve springs and adjusters, water pump, and fuel pressure sensor gasket replaced. Do not see anything about ABS. Looks like the major issues have been addressed under warranty/recall. Just wondering about the lifter valley leak possibility. It is clean with no accidents reported, but man it has had its share of the early 460 factory issues.

As a mechanic of 45 years, I always wonder about the tech's doing the work. A few of these items are pretty extensive.

With all of the experience on here, what is a 2008 460 like this worth? Asking price is 14k. Seems a little high.

Last edited by rmak; 10-11-23 at 05:43 PM.
Old 10-11-23, 05:57 PM
swfla
Lead Lap

That's low miles. But high enough for valley coolant leak, it's the sealant that breaks down, no gasket. It will eventually break down and leak. I understand that removing engine cover and looking down from the top toward backside of valley may reveal some red/pink coolant as a sign it's beginning to leak but not foolproof. If it's not in maintenance records, IMO it's a potential concern. Quite a few DIY stories here but also breaking injector plastic connectors and other brittle parts doing the reseal. Sound like you're capable but things break as collateral damage and expense. Price wise, clean, well maintained, low mile examples are hard to find. A bird in hand... If there's records of brake fluid being changed several times in the humid environment of GA, the brake system may be OK but at this mileage... Old fluid is believed to create particles that clog the actuator. Does it have air shocks? Also due for a transmission drain and fill now, never flush it.

Last edited by swfla; 10-11-23 at 06:04 PM.
Old 10-12-23, 02:46 AM
rmak
Intermediate

Originally Posted by swfla
That's low miles. But high enough for valley coolant leak, it's the sealant that breaks down, no gasket. It will eventually break down and leak. I understand that removing engine cover and looking down from the top toward backside of valley may reveal some red/pink coolant as a sign it's beginning to leak but not foolproof. If it's not in maintenance records, IMO it's a potential concern. Quite a few DIY stories here but also breaking injector plastic connectors and other brittle parts doing the reseal. Sound like you're capable but things break as collateral damage and expense. Price wise, clean, well maintained, low mile examples are hard to find. A bird in hand... If there's records of brake fluid being changed several times in the humid environment of GA, the brake system may be OK but at this mileage... Old fluid is believed to create particles that clog the actuator. Does it have air shocks? Also due for a transmission drain and fill now, never flush it.
Very good points, thank you. I question my desire to go from a trouble-free ES 350 to an LS with known issues, but the V-8 RWD, comfortable ride and interior room are a definite want. I have 2 GMC trucks with over 220k miles that are all original and I agree on the tranny drain and fill, it is the livelihood of the transmission. I know that I have the knowledge and tools for the repairs, just not sure I want to deal with it. I guess I could always pay to have it done but that has to factor in to everything else.

Again thank you for taking the time to reply with very excellent points to consider.
Old 10-12-23, 05:47 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

I have a 2013 with air shocks. When I decided to go from my ES350 to the LS, I preferred to go standard shocks. But my car was immaculate, low miles, priced well and had maintenance records. It's currently at 64k miles and I haven't needed any repairs, YET. Only a low percentage( certainly less than half) of LS have "known issues". People post their issues here, they don't often post how long their car has been trouble free. You stand a better than 50% chance of no trouble IMHO. Only you can decide if the quiet, smooth ride and powerful V8 is important enough. Any heavy luxury brand will have more parts wear out and be more expensive to repair. That said, the LS is more reliable than many others.
Old 10-12-23, 06:11 AM
Boykie
Instructor

Received 586 Likes on 415 Posts

Things to look for? 10+
Old 10-12-23, 06:36 AM
rmak
Intermediate

I have a 2013 with air shocks. When I decided to go from my ES350 to the LS, I preferred to go standard shocks. But my car was immaculate, low miles, priced well and had maintenance records. It's currently at 64k miles and I haven't needed any repairs, YET. Only a low percentage( certainly less than half) of LS have "known issues". People post their issues here, they don't often post how long their car has been trouble free. You stand a better than 50% chance of no trouble IMHO. Only you can decide if the quiet, smooth ride and powerful V8 is important enough. Any heavy luxury brand will have more parts wear out and be more expensive to repair. That said, the LS is more reliable than many others.
It does not have air suspension. Only 1 switch on the console right below the shifter.

Originally Posted by Boykie
Things to look for? 10+
Understand the 10+ changes and am looking. A low (lower) mileage well documented LS 460 is not easy to come by in any year.
Old 10-12-23, 08:49 AM
rvgraham
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just traded a 2008 for a 2016. My 2008 had 188,000 miles on it. The only repair I ever did was to have the starter replaced when it went out at about 140k. I'm a big believer in don't fix it until it breaks, but change the oil every 3k with quality synthetic. Despite this, it used 3 quarts between changes, or about 1 qt every 700-800 miles. Be prepared for that if it worries you. The manual says that up to 1.1 quarts every 600 miles is "normal." When I traded it the traction control was acting up plus various other smaller issues.

Apparently the 2007-09 are known for control arms and oil consumption. However, if you find a very clean car with known maintenance history at a price that appeals to you, it might be a nice choice. It should be < $7,000.
rmak (10-12-23)
Old 10-12-23, 10:00 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by rvgraham
I just traded a 2008 for a 2016. My 2008 had 188,000 miles on it. The only repair I ever did was to have the starter replaced when it went out at about 140k. I'm a big believer in don't fix it until it breaks, but change the oil every 3k with quality synthetic. Despite this, it used 3 quarts between changes, or about 1 qt every 700-800 miles. Be prepared for that if it worries you. The manual says that up to 1.1 quarts every 600 miles is "normal." When I traded it the traction control was acting up plus various other smaller issues.

Apparently the 2007-09 are known for control arms and oil consumption. However, if you find a very clean car with known maintenance history at a price that appeals to you, it might be a nice choice. It should be < $7,000.
Have you had a shop run a "ring free" type treatment in your oil. Often oil consumption is due to the piston rings no longer "floating" and allowing oil consumption. It's a know issue with Toyota/Lexus engines of this type. The shop pours in treatment, runs for 20 minutes, drains oil and filter adding fresh oil. It's not terribly pricey and worth a try as oil consumption affects many components down the line.
Old 10-12-23, 10:10 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,223 Likes on 909 Posts

Have you had a shop run a "ring free" type treatment in your oil. Often oil consumption is due to the piston rings no longer "floating" and allowing oil consumption. It's a know issue with Toyota/Lexus engines of this type. The shop pours in treatment, runs for 20 minutes, drains oil and filter adding fresh oil. It's not terribly pricey and worth a try as oil consumption affects many components down the line.
That sometimes works yes, I would still say to add the treatment to the rings directly via the spark plug holes. That's how I normally fix this type of issue is Toyota/BMW cars, if the car in question was driven too long with seized rings though it won't bring it back due to wall damage.
swfla (10-12-23)
Old 10-12-23, 10:11 AM
rmak
Intermediate

Originally Posted by rvgraham

That is extremely excessive oil consumption. I would just change the filter and keep adding oil. It is doing the changing all by itself. If the 07-09's had the problem do you know what they did to fix it?
Old 10-12-23, 11:11 AM
JRA2000TL
Intermediate

Received 90 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by rmak
Very good points, thank you. I question my desire to go from a trouble-free ES 350 to an LS with known issues, but the V-8 RWD, comfortable ride and interior room are a definite want. I have 2 GMC trucks with over 220k miles that are all original and I agree on the tranny drain and fill, it is the livelihood of the transmission. I know that I have the knowledge and tools for the repairs, just not sure I want to deal with it. I guess I could always pay to have it done but that has to factor in to everything else.

Again thank you for taking the time to reply with very excellent points to consider.
Same feelings as you as an owner of a problem-free ES with 189k. Is it possible for you to own both and put fewer miles on the LS? That's my plan. Not sure if you commute or how many miles you drive per year, but racking the mileage up on an LS will cost much more, of course. Seems like you could do most of the items yourself, but the bigger issues can be a hassle. Do you have Techstream or a program that's similar to allow for things like bleeding the brakes, running diagnostics, etc.? There are many YouTube videos out there showing repairs on these. The most crucial part, as you know, would just be keeping up the maintenance and changing fluids.

I'm like you--I'll weigh out the pros and cons of fixing it myself or paying a shop. Is it worth my time, cussing, and aggravation to save a few bucks or to just pay someone and be done with it? Determines on what the job is and how much of a PITA it is.

Last edited by JRA2000TL; 10-13-23 at 10:46 AM.
Old 10-12-23, 11:13 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

As oil consumption isn't listed as a known issue in FAQ along with my recall of threads over the years, I don't believe oil consumption is an "issue" other than high miles cars, deferred maintenance can cause oil consumption. The cartooned up floating rings are still being used. But even that doesn't happen to well maintained and highway driven cars all that much.