LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Need Help: Starter or alternator or both dead?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-23, 04:13 PM
LS2k
Intermediate

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Gerf
I would have the car sent on a deck truck to the closest Lexus dealer, a lot can go wrong if you let the wrong person try to fix it.
Agree but Lex dealer is another towing and total cost will end up significantly more. Mechanic i am at now is recommended by local friends. He quoted Denso part and his software did show the 6.1h labor.
Old 10-26-23, 04:24 PM
LS2k
Intermediate

Originally Posted by swfla
Spark plugs can be addressed at another time. There is no starter belt but there is a serpentine belt for the front of engine. If it's cracked/worn it needs replacement. It can be addressed another time. The starter on LS460 is in a difficult spot that requires more than normal labor. He should be able to show you the "book" hours that is standard practice. If he won't, it may be wise to have it taken to the dealer or your trusted mechanic by truck.
Agree on all counts, taking care of the rest can wait. I did see the 6.1h on his screen along with the proper car info. Based on circumstances and fact that he is recomended, I'll have him do it and cross fingers all goes well- we will see.
Old 10-26-23, 04:44 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,825 Likes on 2,388 Posts

Originally Posted by LS2k
Just installed brand new Costco battery and this am car won't start. I can power on ignition but when I press to start.the dashboard goes dark then lite up again and I cab hear clicking from.front left side but car won't start. Starter or alternator?
A bad starter alone will not cause this.
Old 10-26-23, 04:48 PM
yyymmm31
Intermediate

Received 223 Likes on 139 Posts

Mechanic here is saying 6.1 h labor plus starter belt and wanted to do spark plug? What should labor cost starter only approximately? Guy here wants $1400 with $500 parts rest labor really?
-------
I replaced my LS460 starter a few years ago on my driveway with hand tools by following this ClubLexus member's instructions: Post 22 of ls460 starter ? - Page 2 - ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion. It took me about 6 hours. The procedure was not difficult but needed patience. I used the Denso starter from Rockauto (about $160) More Information for DENSO 2800370 (rockauto.com), plus a few gaskets from the local Lexus dealer. If you are handy, you may do the work yourself.
----
Old 10-26-23, 05:49 PM
jmcraney

Received 264 Likes on 202 Posts

Costco replacement battery was installed -10 days ago and since car has been working fine hence I lean towards starter vs alternator.
You need to check the battery’s State-Of-Charge to see if it has enough energy to start the engine. The battery may be just discharged. Before you start on the starter, you should try a battery that you know has an adequate charge.
Old 10-27-23, 07:16 PM
LS2k
Intermediate

Originally Posted by yyymmm31
-------
I replaced my LS460 starter a few years ago on my driveway with hand tools by following this ClubLexus member's instructions: Post 22 of ls460 starter ? - Page 2 - ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion. It took me about 6 hours. The procedure was not difficult but needed patience. I used the Denso starter from Rockauto (about $160) More Information for DENSO 2800370 (rockauto.com), plus a few gaskets from the local Lexus dealer. If you are handy, you may do the work yourself.
----
You are correct; I saw videos on YouTube potentially showing how to install an LS460 starter replacement in as little as "6 minutes" however, sadly, and unlike you, my DIY abilities end at attempting to order the best part:-) I got the mechanic to buy a Denso part (at least), but doing it myself was out of the question:-(
Old 10-27-23, 07:29 PM
LS2k
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jmcraney
You need to check the battery’s State-Of-Charge to see if it has enough energy to start the engine. The battery may be just discharged. Before you start on the starter, you should try a battery that you know has an adequate charge.
I agree, and as I had just installed a brand new costco battery stamped "09/23" more than a week before, I instantly rejected the battery as the source of the problem, because at the time of the failure, I first attempted to jumpstart the LS with another car, but in vain. As a result, I "narrowed it down" to the starter because the dashboard was powered properly and even jumpstarting with cables didn't help, indicating that the battery is working properly (since it is still charged after more than a week of use) and this issue is not related to a battery or/and alternator failure--hence the starter, particularly because of the clicking sound when you try to start the engine.
Old 10-27-23, 07:53 PM
LS2k
Intermediate

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Need to see your battery installed in the car.
Here is the costco battery that I installed over a week ago: https://costco.interstatebatteries.c...183&Country=US , stamped "09-23" and it has been functioning since as expected, so I don't think the battery is the problem. But only time will tell, especially if this replacement of the starter is the only action needed to be taken - or not..
Old 10-27-23, 08:00 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,825 Likes on 2,388 Posts

Thanks but I want to see the condition of the terminals. What some people consider great condition isn't. Your description of a no start can happen when the terminals flake out under heavy load I'd hate for you to replace the starter and find out it wasn't the cause.
Old 10-28-23, 10:16 AM
LS2k
Intermediate

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Thanks but I want to see the condition of the terminals. What some people consider great condition isn't. Your description of a no start can happen when the terminals flake out under heavy load I'd hate for you to replace the starter and find out it wasn't the cause.
I did check the terminals to make sure none had come loose, but they were both secure, and I use the red and green rings to prevent corrosion. I concur that the terminal might be the source of the problem, and I've also read that an electric harness coming loose can also result in this kind of problem. I rolled the dice and it is being "fixed" because it happened 50 miles away and I'm not good at do-it-yourself projects. We'll see when I pick it up next week.
The following users liked this post:
swfla (10-28-23)
Old 10-28-23, 12:48 PM
LS2k
Intermediate

These are the related threads I was referring to earlier:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...read-this.html
and
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...w-starter.html

Again, I want to thank you all for your wonderful feedback. According to the clicking sound, something went wrong at the starter level, even though the battery is brand new and even jumping it didn't help. I hope it gets corrected properly.
Anfanger (10-28-23)
Old 10-30-23, 08:24 PM
Nospinzone

Received 418 Likes on 322 Posts

I agree with several others here that the starter is probably not the problem. My starter went and when I pressed the start button I got nothing.

That clicking sound is text book for not enough juice getting to the starter motor. I would start with the battery. For cheap money you can get a charger that also has a power setting that will produce enough to start the car. As far as the terminals, whenever I have changed batteries I also use fine sandpaper and scour the inside of the terminals. They may appear clean, but a thin clear film can form that limits the connection from the battery.

And yes, it is a labor intensive job to change the starter motor. I remember when mine failed I told the flatbed truck driver that I knew it was the starter motor. Trying to be helpful he said "let me get my hammer and rap it a couple times". I laughed and said good luck with finding it!
Old 10-31-23, 12:07 PM
LS2k
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Nospinzone
I agree with several others here that the starter is probably not the problem. My starter went and when I pressed the start button I got nothing.

That clicking sound is text book for not enough juice getting to the starter motor. I would start with the battery. For cheap money you can get a charger that also has a power setting that will produce enough to start the car. As far as the terminals, whenever I have changed batteries I also use fine sandpaper and scour the inside of the terminals. They may appear clean, but a thin clear film can form that limits the connection from the battery.

And yes, it is a labor intensive job to change the starter motor. I remember when mine failed I told the flatbed truck driver that I knew it was the starter motor. Trying to be helpful he said "let me get my hammer and rap it a couple times". I laughed and said good luck with finding it!
That's what I initially thought—not enough power to start the engine—but my car has been running smoothly ever since I installed a Costco battery less than ten days ago. First, I tried using my standby quick charger, checking the battery terminals to see if any had come free, and then even getting someone to jump start me using cables, but to no avail—the starter still won't crank. I'm not sure if it was a bad starter or something else, but because I was stuck 50 miles away, I had to get it fixed there. I picked it up today, and yes, it did start correctly—for the time being, anyhow - time will tell.
Nospinzone (11-01-23)
Old 10-31-23, 02:24 PM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,272 Likes on 984 Posts

Good to hear you got it back and all's well. I appreciate the way you communicated with us. It brought about interesting suggestions, scenarios and final resolution. A successful thread as well as your outcome.
Nospinzone (11-01-23)