LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Need Help: Starter or alternator or both dead?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-23, 12:29 PM
LS2k
Intermediate

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Need Help: Starter or alternator or both dead?

Just installed brand new Costco battery and this am car won't start. I can power on ignition but when I press to start.the dashboard goes dark then lite up again and I cab hear clicking from.front left side but car won't start. Starter or alternator?
Old 10-26-23, 12:40 PM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,272 Likes on 984 Posts

First eliminate battery as the issue. Check battery connections, clean and tight. Check voltage on battery. Have you tried to charge the battery or jump start it? What symptoms were you having that caused you to replace the battery. Did you have it tested prior to replacement?
Old 10-26-23, 12:51 PM
LS2k
Intermediate

Originally Posted by swfla
First eliminate battery as the issue. Check battery connections, clean and tight. Check voltage on battery. Have you tried to charge the battery or jump start it? What symptoms were you having that caused you to replace the battery. Did you have it tested prior to replacement?
thanks for the help! Yes I had battery tested before i replaced it and it was dead as per mechanic that just did my radiator swap. Also checked.battery connections and everything looks good. Tried to jump start with cable and another car but in vain. Seems battery is charged when i turn ignition eveything check normal on dashboard but i hear click from lower front passenger side when trying to start and dashboard dies off like it's rebooting.
Old 10-26-23, 01:32 PM
Anfanger
Pole Position

Received 875 Likes on 647 Posts

Your starter likely will have to be replaced.
Old 10-26-23, 01:54 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,825 Likes on 2,388 Posts

Post a picture of your battery.
Old 10-26-23, 02:25 PM
jmcraney

Received 264 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by LS2k
thanks for the help! Yes I had battery tested before i replaced it and it was dead as per mechanic that just did my radiator swap. Also checked.battery connections and everything looks good. Tried to jump start with cable and another car but in vain. Seems battery is charged when i turn ignition eveything check normal on dashboard but i hear click from lower front passenger side when trying to start and dashboard dies off like it's rebooting.
So, I'm trying to read between the lines. Help me better understand.

You wrote: "Just installed brand new Costco battery and this am car won't start." Does this mean that you installed the new battery and tried to start the car soon after and the car would not start. Or, does it mean that you installed the new battery and tried to start it some time later?
Old 10-26-23, 02:32 PM
swfla
Lead Lap

Without more details such as was the car starting fine after new battery multiple times for weeks or months, then suddenly, the clicking sound? Starters do go bad and a clicking sound is a symptom. Sometimes a good whack on the starter with a mallet will get it working again. But it's tight quarters on this car. I suggest you contact your mechanic. Many here recommend OEM or Denso starter. Avoid auto store generic starters as they are often low quality.
Old 10-26-23, 02:39 PM
LS2k
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Anfanger
Your starter likely will have to be replaced.
at mechanic now waiting for confirmation but yes most likely the starter is done. Now read not to use autozone replacement part and would like to use OEM.denso part but latest version of starter. Does anyone knows Denso newer starter part #?
Old 10-26-23, 02:42 PM
LS2k
Intermediate

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Post a picture of your battery.
I installed it last week from costco for LS 460 model https://costco.interstatebatteries.c...183&Country=US
Old 10-26-23, 02:45 PM
LS2k
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jmcraney
So, I'm trying to read between the lines. Help me better understand.

You wrote: "Just installed brand new Costco battery and this am car won't start." Does this mean that you installed the new battery and tried to start the car soon after and the car would not start. Or, does it mean that you installed the new battery and tried to start it some time later?
Costco replacement battery was installed -10 days ago and since car has been working fine hence I lean towards starter vs alternator.
Old 10-26-23, 02:48 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,825 Likes on 2,388 Posts

I installed it last week from costco for LS 460 model https://costco.interstatebatteries.c...183&Country=US
Need to see your battery installed in the car.
Old 10-26-23, 02:50 PM
LS2k
Intermediate

Originally Posted by swfla
Without more details such as was the car starting fine after new battery multiple times for weeks or months, then suddenly, the clicking sound? Starters do go bad and a clicking sound is a symptom. Sometimes a good whack on the starter with a mallet will get it working again. But it's tight quarters on this car. I suggest you contact your mechanic. Many here recommend OEM or Denso starter. Avoid auto store generic starters as they are often low quality.
you got it right, car and new battery have been fine for more than a week before this new issue. Completly agree re Denso vs generic but I am stuck more than fifty miles away so we will see what can be done.
Old 10-26-23, 03:00 PM
LS2k
Intermediate

Mechanic here is saying 6.1 h labor plus starter belt and wanted to do spark plug? What should labor cost starter only approximately? Guy here wants $1400 with $500 parts rest labor really?

Last edited by LS2k; 10-26-23 at 04:03 PM.
Old 10-26-23, 03:50 PM
Gerf
Racer

Received 789 Likes on 587 Posts

Mechanic here is saying 6.1 h labor plus starter belt and wanted to do spark plug? What should labor cost starter only approximately? Guy here want $1400 with $50p parts rest labor really?
I would have the car sent on a deck truck to the closest Lexus dealer, a lot can go wrong if you let the wrong person try to fix it.
Old 10-26-23, 04:00 PM
swfla
Lead Lap

Spark plugs can be addressed at another time. There is no starter belt but there is a serpentine belt for the front of engine. If it's cracked/worn it needs replacement. It can be addressed another time. The starter on LS460 is in a difficult spot that requires more than normal labor. He should be able to show you the "book" hours that is standard practice. If he won't, it may be wise to have it taken to the dealer or your trusted mechanic by truck.

Quick Reply: Need Help: Starter or alternator or both dead?