LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

New-to-Me LS 600h L: Control Arms, Diagnostics

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-23, 03:43 PM
Gerf
Pole Position

Received 857 Likes on 632 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223
I've worked on enough Audis to know how they usually behave, if you avoid the 2.0T and general stupidity they are totally fine. A lot of owners are stupid and don't know enough/take the car seriously enough and they indeed would be better off in a Lexus of some sort
Ya, a couple of them have A4's
Old 11-11-23, 05:15 PM
fanatic777
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Gerf
Glad you didn't get hurt either, good thing it wasn't a moose.
No kidding. Not too many moose in Oklahoma, but it would have been a lot worse if it had been.
Old 11-11-23, 05:15 PM
fanatic777
Rookie

Originally Posted by Boykie
Deserves another post. So I assume pre-tensioners and belt pyro did it thing? I had belt shaped shiner all over my shoulder/chest area FOR A WHILE afterwards. Didn't notice it first couple of days (shock+rush to get a replacement asap to not go deep into dark areas of mind LOL), until it started to mildly ache.
The only pain or mark is on my thumb, which got burned a bit by the driver's airbag
Old 11-11-23, 05:16 PM
fanatic777
Rookie

Originally Posted by Boykie
Whoa.
I had a couple of badgers, couple of foxes and... an owl.

PS. Obvo good that you're unharmed. Did you notice like a .. shockwave(?) going thru whole frame at that moment? Cos I did see and felt it when I had 'all bags out' type of a scenario...
PPS. Did it rotate in flight? My foxes did. Sequences are still vivid in my mind.
Yes, definitely the shockwave as all the airbags (or at least the overwhelming majority of them) deployed.
Old 11-11-23, 05:17 PM
fanatic777
Rookie

I've worked on enough Audis to know how they usually behave, if you avoid the 2.0T and general stupidity they are totally fine. A lot of owners are stupid and don't know enough/take the car seriously enough and they indeed would be better off in a Lexus of some sort
Funnily enough, this LS 600h L replaced a 2013 A8 L 4.0T. The transmission was acting funny, and I didn't think the car was worth fixing.
Old 11-11-23, 06:14 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,240 Likes on 924 Posts

Originally Posted by Gerf
Ya, a couple of them have A4's
Hilariously enough I have an A4 2.0 in right now with a leaking turbo oil seal that is doing exactly what you mentioned. I have warned him for 2 years the leak will take out his intercooler hoses though so....
Old 11-11-23, 06:16 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by fanatic777
Funnily enough, this LS 600h L replaced a 2013 A8 L 4.0T. The transmission was acting funny, and I didn't think the car was worth fixing.
Did you just service the trans or give up without trying? It's very easy to do on those, easier than my RWD 460 and after you do the relearn they always come back to perfect. Plus the ZF8 just absolutely sealclubs the AA80E and the 4.0 is simply amazing.

I can't believe you find an LS600 anywhere near the same level unless you don't really value driving as much as refinement
Old 11-11-23, 07:04 PM
fanatic777
Rookie

Did you just service the trans or give up without trying? It's very easy to do on those, easier than my RWD 460 and after you do the relearn they always come back to perfect. Plus the ZF8 just absolutely sealclubs the AA80E and the 4.0 is simply amazing.

I can't believe you find an LS600 anywhere near the same level unless you don't really value driving as much as refinement
The A8 L 4.0T was definitely the better road car. I just always wanted an LS 600h L.

As for the transmission, we did multiple drain-and-refills, and the dealer confirmed the software was on the latest version. We were beginning to look at a teardown or replacement, and I'd just had a complete transmission rebuild on one of my other cars, a 1996 Jaguar XJ12 (which has a version of the GM 4L80E)...so I wasn't in the mood.

I would like another A8 L, though, preferably a facelifted (2015+). Like yours.

Last edited by fanatic777; 11-11-23 at 07:15 PM.
Old 11-12-23, 12:21 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

The A8 L 4.0T was definitely the better road car. I just always wanted an LS 600h L.

As for the transmission, we did multiple drain-and-refills, and the dealer confirmed the software was on the latest version. We were beginning to look at a teardown or replacement, and I'd just had a complete transmission rebuild on one of my other cars, a 1996 Jaguar XJ12 (which has a version of the GM 4L80E)...so I wasn't in the mood.

I would like another A8 L, though, preferably a facelifted (2015+). Like yours.
They need to do the relearn process if there is an issue like that occurring, I did the full relearn on both of mine just because but it takes almost 2 hours and you need a long, level, empty road to do it.

The refresh is nice, only minor changes though outside of the 360* cam and matrix lights etc. Main things are the same, anything a facelift has can be retrofit back to any D4 as well so if you like the looks of the older one you can have exactly what you want.

The LS600 is special indeed, I am looking for a totally maxed out example in silver to replace my LS460 but I'm scared of long term issues with the hybrid system. I still want to own the ultimate 4 door Lexus ever made though to go alongside my W12
Old 11-13-23, 12:13 PM
fanatic777
Rookie

This is a new one: I was driving the car around and got Check Hybrid System, Check PCS System and Check VSC System errors, all at once. It drove fine other than that it refused to switch off the ICE. And, because of the persistent errors, I couldn't see the SOC in the instrument panel and didn't bother to check them in the infotainment.

I hope it's either a) due to the bad traction battery, or b) some sort of relay. Either way, I wonder why these systems would all be tied together like that.

But if something is gravely wrong with the car, I'd rather cancel the appointment for the new battery with Greentec and just dump it. Between the suspension and the traction battery, I'm at the max I'm willing to spend on major issues for a 15-year-old car.

I will pull codes and see what it says.

Last edited by fanatic777; 11-13-23 at 12:19 PM.
Old 11-13-23, 12:46 PM
miket000
Instructor

Received 528 Likes on 325 Posts

Imo, It's just the bad hybrid battery causing those errors. Expect even more if you continue to drive it. Mine did the same thing. Now my gold car is throwing random errors since it now has the bad battery in it lol.

Last edited by miket000; 11-13-23 at 12:51 PM.
Old 11-13-23, 01:59 PM
fanatic777
Rookie

Originally Posted by miket000
Imo, It's just the bad hybrid battery causing those errors. Expect even more if you continue to drive it. Mine did the same thing. Now my gold car is throwing random errors since it now has the bad battery in it lol.
I certainly hope so! That would be a relief. I was looking forward to only fixing minor things (the corroded wheels, the gummy rear trunk release, etc) after doing the battery and control arms.
Old 11-13-23, 08:45 PM
miket000
Instructor

Received 528 Likes on 325 Posts

Did you run the vin on lexus.drivers site? I'm curious where the car was in Cali to get that crusty. Often times on the drivers site you can see which dealers serviced the car. Or a carfax can but that typically costs money.
https://drivers.lexus.com/lexusdrivers/
Old 11-14-23, 05:59 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,302 Likes on 1,005 Posts

I certainly hope so! That would be a relief. I was looking forward to only fixing minor things (the corroded wheels, the gummy rear trunk release, etc) after doing the battery and control arms.
Did I read your response correctly? You're relieved that the hybrid battery is failing? That's thousands of dollars to replace, even aftermarket. If it were just the accessory battery, sure, inexpensive.
Old 11-14-23, 01:24 PM
fanatic777
Rookie

Originally Posted by swfla
Did I read your response correctly? You're relieved that the hybrid battery is failing? That's thousands of dollars to replace, even aftermarket. If it were just the accessory battery, sure, inexpensive.
It was already determined the traction battery is failing, and I already have an appointment to get that replaced on Thursday. It's a relief if it's the traction battery because that means nothing else is broken. Does that make sense?

Quick Reply: New-to-Me LS 600h L: Control Arms, Diagnostics