LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

New-to-Me LS 600h L: Control Arms, Diagnostics

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-23, 01:58 PM
fanatic777
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by miket000
Did you run the vin on lexus.drivers site? I'm curious where the car was in Cali to get that crusty. Often times on the drivers site you can see which dealers serviced the car. Or a carfax can but that typically costs money.
https://drivers.lexus.com/lexusdrivers/
Yeah, I did all that. The car was in Mission Viejo, CA and Fresno, CA as recently as 2022.
Old 11-14-23, 02:13 PM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,282 Likes on 991 Posts

Originally Posted by fanatic777
It was already determined the traction battery is failing, and I already have an appointment to get that replaced on Thursday. It's a relief if it's the traction battery because that means nothing else is broken. Does that make sense?
Yes, it makes sense now. Thanks for clearing up the misunderstanding. Are you going Lexus dealer or an aftermarket battery. Aftermarket isn't everywhere but can save up to $1000.
Old 11-14-23, 03:06 PM
fanatic777
Rookie

Originally Posted by swfla
Yes, it makes sense now. Thanks for clearing up the misunderstanding. Are you going Lexus dealer or an aftermarket battery. Aftermarket isn't everywhere but can save up to $1000.
I went with GreenTec. They will come install it on Thursday. $4,100.
The following users liked this post:
swfla (11-14-23)
Old 11-14-23, 07:21 PM
miket000
Instructor

Received 525 Likes on 322 Posts

wrong thread....

Last edited by miket000; 11-14-23 at 07:24 PM.
Old 11-14-23, 07:39 PM
swfla
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by fanatic777
I went with GreenTec. They will come install it on Thursday. $4,100.
This thread took so many turns, I couldn't remember it all. But now I remember that you're having them do the battery at your home for a very reasonable price vs a shop. I suppose any shop has so much overhead, they must charge industry rates for their labor. Of course the Lexus dealers are even higher. I'm excited for you and looking forward to reading about the experience.
Old 11-18-23, 09:45 AM
fanatic777
Rookie

Well, on Thursday, Greentec Auto came and installed the new battery. It was a pretty straightforward process. The technicians showed up in a gen. 3 Prius packed with so many batteries (including an alternate for my car, if the first one didn't take) that the rear suspension was on the bump stops. But they were knowledgable and let me watch as they did the swap in my driveway. I had to go inside for a meeting, so I didn't get to see them actually hoist the old battery out and put the new one in, but I did see the new one once it was in place. It took them two and a half hours, or thereabouts. We also took a look at the fan. It was a little dirty, but not too bad.

The car drives much better. The engine doesn't come on nearly as frequently, and I've not gotten any battery or powertrain warnings. I'll drive it for a few more days and then see how much my fuel economy improves.

Next are the front control arms and inner front CV boots, followed by some general maintenance (spark plugs, engine oil, transmission fluid, rear diff fluid). And the water pump is starting to go. I'll get that replaced before my big trip in January.

Again, my cost, including the install, was $4,100. And the whole matter took a week, although that was my doing. They actually could have come out and installed the battery as early as Monday. Not bad. I didn't have to pay tax because they don't have a tax nexus here in Oklahoma, and that's where the transaction took place.

The following users liked this post:
Boykie (11-18-23)
Old 11-18-23, 10:05 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

Great photos. Mobile install sounds great. Very glad it went smoothly.
Old 11-20-23, 05:42 AM
Tdes395
Intermediate

Received 60 Likes on 47 Posts

The LS is very heavy, it's hard on suspension components. If one drives hard vs gently, and how the roads are maintained, it will also affect how long the bushings last.
Nope! It’s poor design, which is why the parts have been updated. The weight of the car and the driving conditions and dynamics should all have been factored into the design during the engineering process to ensure the reliability and longevity that Lexus has built its reputation on.
Old 11-20-23, 05:51 AM
Tdes395
Intermediate

Here is the concern I have regarding the battery failure: will it fail again? Were there any updates to design by Lexus on the replacement battery to prevent a repeat? OEM parts are great; but not so much if the problem that causes it to fail in the first place hasn’t been rectified.
Old 11-20-23, 06:38 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Tdes395
Here is the concern I have regarding the battery failure: will it fail again? Were there any updates to design by Lexus on the replacement battery to prevent a repeat? OEM parts are great; but not so much if the problem that causes it to fail in the first place hasn’t been rectified.
He went with an aftermarket battery. From my recall of threads, Lexus changed the battery cooling design several times over the model years. I don't know if any battery design changes were made. I do recall reading about replacement batteries having more air space between the cells for cooling. Not sure if that was OEM or aftermarket though.
Old 11-20-23, 06:44 AM
Gerf
Pole Position

Received 823 Likes on 608 Posts

Nope! It’s poor design, which is why the parts have been updated. The weight of the car and the driving conditions and dynamics should all have been factored into the design during the engineering process to ensure the reliability and longevity that Lexus has built its reputation on.
I think you’re referring to Toyota models, lexus is in the relentless pursuit of perfection.

Old 11-20-23, 06:48 AM
Tdes395
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Gerf
I think you’re referring to Toyota models, lexus is in the relentless pursuit of perfection.
which means the expectations are even higher.
Old 11-20-23, 06:52 AM
Tdes395
Intermediate

He went with an aftermarket battery. From my recall of threads, Lexus changed the battery cooling design several times over the model years. I don't know if any battery design changes were made. I do recall reading about replacement batteries having more air space between the cells for cooling. Not sure if that was OEM or aftermarket though.
so it’s possible that depending on when the battery was replaced (either before or after the update) that it could very well fail again just as soon as the one it replaced. Do you know when those cooling updates and the battery updates were made?
Old 11-20-23, 07:10 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,223 Likes on 909 Posts

It will fail again, it's a battery......it can't NOT fail again lol!
Old 11-20-23, 07:28 AM
miket000
Instructor

Received 525 Likes on 322 Posts

That's funny the Prius battery bank was on the ground. Sounds like your car is functional again, bet your happy about that.

You might consider replacing your spark plug tube seals too.
I swapped out my left bank of spark plugs about 1000 miles ago. Last week I noticed a burning smell coming from the engine. It was bad enough I was concerned about an engine fire developing. I had ordered new hpfp gasket kits as I knew they were seeping oil. When I went to replace them it was pretty obvious there were other leaks. My spark plug tube seals were shot. They were hard as a rock and distorted. When you replace your spark plugs it's almost impossible not to disrupt the tube seals. You'll need to remove that inner plastic ring out of nearly every spark plug seal to get the coil packs out. The spark plug closest to the passenger front seat is the most fun. It's a lot easier if you remove the hpfp. All of the inverter cables need to be removed too.

To avoid doing things twice I ended up replacing my valve cover gaskets too, the gaskets were pretty hard but nothing like the tube seals. They were covered in oil but the oil was likely just from my other leaks.

Down in the groove there is a black plastic insulator that is a magnet for oil.

Mine was saturated with oil. The insulating foam had turned black from oil cooking on it. ( left bank)

Another view. Still the left bank insulator. I think this is what I smelled burning.

These are the distorted, rock hard, spark plug tube seals.

All of them except one were cracked. I took a few out very gingerly and they were still cracked. I think they cracked long ago. Note the top ring that pops out. This gives the coil packs a little more freedom to slide out.

The right bank insulator was in much better shape. It was only slightly damp with oil.

Valve cover removed. This side is a pain. There is a horizontal bolt on the inverter wire bracket near the valve cover. If you remove that one bolt the inverter has about 1/2" of play to remove the coil pack.

All cleaned up. Pic taken right before I mounted the hpfp.

Quick Reply: New-to-Me LS 600h L: Control Arms, Diagnostics