LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Repeat Offender - Low Oil Light

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-23, 05:09 AM
LUN2r
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Repeat Offender - Low Oil Light

I have been trying to figure out what seems to be the issue concerning my mothers (previously owned by me) 2007 LS460.
I often do maintenance myself, oil change was done on schedule and filter replaced with the oil filters placed on the official lexus website, (they go for $5 so there wasn't a reason not to use it.)

After recently giving up the car to my mother, she's had the low oil level notice come up on the dash. Took it to autozone and had them fill it up, about a week later comes on again, she takes it to Valvoline to get it done there. About a month later, same message. At this point my mom comes to me finally bringing it up to me, I had no idea she took it to autozone. I assumed that they had messed something up and did a full flush and replaced filter and everything. that was early September. She has told me once again that the low oil level light came on. OBD scanner didn't throw any sensor trouble code, no visible leaks under the car, nothing.

I found this post on the forum and could be the only thing I can think of being the problem: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...nsumption.html
Anyone with any experience in this situation?
Old 12-15-23, 06:44 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,981 Posts

How many miles are on it, and how many miles a month does she drive?

These engines unfortunately can use oil as they get old and high mileage
The following users liked this post:
swfla (12-15-23)
Old 12-15-23, 07:41 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,311 Likes on 1,012 Posts

Oil consumption is a common result of high mileage. Also, a history of oil changes past 5k miles can contribute to this. The floating piston rings get clogged and allow oil to pass into combustion. There are treatments available but may not help for a car this old. All one can do is check oil levels frequently and top off. Waiting for low oil light is not ideal.
Old 12-15-23, 09:25 AM
Tdes395
Intermediate

Received 60 Likes on 47 Posts

These engines do not burn oil. The ONLY reason your engine would burn oil is if your car had the valve spring recall done and it wasn’t done correctly. In fact in the instruction video sent to mechanics by Lexus it specifically stated that if not done right it would cause oil consumption later in life.
Old 12-15-23, 10:40 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

LUN2R, suggest that you do a search on the forum about oil consumption. You can then decide for yourself based on that research. I will agree that's it's mysterious you had no low oil issues and suddenly your Mom does.
Old 12-15-23, 03:35 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,251 Likes on 932 Posts

Check PCV and leak down, if good it's not going past the valve seals etc.....that leaves the rings/usual issue. Easy enough to fix via chemical treatments
The following 2 users liked this post by Striker223:
Boykie (12-15-23), LUN2r (12-16-23)
Old 12-16-23, 01:39 AM
LUN2r
3rd Gear

Just under 150k, not sure how much she drives it per month, work isn't too far out the way but she does occasionally take it up to PA from VA, I'd say once every other month, to look for apartments.

I've been using the high mileage oil but even at this rate it still seems a little too soon to be topping off again. Is there anything you could recommend?
Old 12-16-23, 01:41 AM
LUN2r
3rd Gear

Yes, however it wasn't all so suddenly, gave it to her about a year and half to 2 years ago and the problems only arisen in the past few months, I'll do a bit more digging around on the forum. Appreciate the help!

(also apologies for the usage of 'recently' in the OP, time kind of flies now a days)
Old 12-16-23, 05:55 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

The clarification helps a lot. Welcome to the forum and we appreciate when you respond and correct yourself. There are a number of oil treatments that get added to the oil, circulate 20-30 minutes to break down buildup on the floating oil rings. When they are stuck and don't float, oil gets past. The oil then gets drained and fresh oil added. While you can DIY, I feel that having a shop do it under controlled conditioned and prograde treatment, you'll get the best results. It sounds like you were good about regular changes but after 150k there can be buildup. Kinda like brushing you teeth twice a day but putting off a dental cleaning a few years! You may be able to switch back to standard synthetic oil instead of high mileage. This is a simple and affordable attempt to address a problem that can't be seen. My guess, $100-150 more than an oil change.
Old 12-16-23, 06:23 AM
Tdes395
Intermediate

Received 60 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by LUN2r
Yes, however it wasn't all so suddenly, gave it to her about a year and half to 2 years ago and the problems only arisen in the past few months, I'll do a bit more digging around on the forum. Appreciate the help!

(also apologies for the usage of 'recently' in the OP, time kind of flies now a days)
when you go to your mechanic see if there is any way to check if the FIPG seal between the cam shaft housing and the cylinder head is leaking.
Old 12-16-23, 07:38 AM
Vtallysx4
Pit Crew

Received 74 Likes on 58 Posts

How low is the oil each time the light comes on?
Old 12-16-23, 08:36 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

I reread your initial post. It's possible that Valvoline under filled the oil. As you're aware many advertised oil change prices at lube places don't take into account engines that have high capacity. Too many workers just don't have traditional work standards. Especially a near minimum wage job. Worth considering.
Old 12-16-23, 12:57 PM
TominPT
Instructor

Received 239 Likes on 182 Posts

One diagnostic suggestion (courtesy of Car Car Nut) is use a borescope to see if cylinder wall scoring is present. He refers to that as "stage 3" (i.e., final) of the Toyota engine oil consumption syndrome. No chemical treatment will fix that.
(one of several he has on addressing or repairing cars with severe oil burning problems)

Last edited by TominPT; 12-16-23 at 01:04 PM.
Old 12-16-23, 04:40 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,251 Likes on 932 Posts

That stage only happens when you just keep driving it with seized rings, rings tend to seize form the car never being driven hard or really lackluster oil maintenance.
Old 12-16-23, 05:25 PM
Nospinzone
Forum Moderator

Received 431 Likes on 333 Posts

I have the sme question as Vtallysx4, how low is the oil each time the light comes on? I'm wondering if the sensor for the oil level is reading incorrectly. My 2007 has 170K on it and I never have to add oil between 5000 mile oil changes.

My wife has a Panamera and there is no dipstick, you read the oil level electronically on the dash display. Every once in a while it reads no oil. The first time it happened I temporarily panicked until I saw the pressure gauge was reading normally. BTW, not having an oil dipstick sucks.

Quick Reply: Repeat Offender - Low Oil Light