LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Something about the rubber

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-23, 01:14 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,238 Likes on 1,357 Posts

Guys, don't just continue arguments from other threads just picking a new one where a moderator has already stepped in.

Also to close off this back and forth that has crossed threads, Delphi was spun off from GM several years ago and does occasionally make parts for other manufacturers, including Toyota and Lexus occasionally. AC Delco does the marketing and makes GM parts / Delphi also makes parts for GM branded AC Delco.

Look it up on their website
https://www.delphiautoparts.com/en-g...10&partsPage=1

Here is another specific example.
https://www.jegs.com/i/ACDelco/065/45D2484/10002/-1

Much of the time they make the replacement part when the OEM has stopped production.

Let's move on from that running debate
The following users liked this post:
SW17LS (12-20-23)
Old 12-19-23, 02:57 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,188 Likes on 884 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
Guys, don't just continue arguments from other threads just picking a new one where a moderator has already stepped in.

Also to close off this back and forth that has crossed threads, Delphi was spun off from GM several years ago and does occasionally make parts for other manufacturers, including Toyota and Lexus occasionally. AC Delco does the marketing and makes GM parts / Delphi also makes parts for GM branded AC Delco.

Look it up on their website
https://www.delphiautoparts.com/en-g...10&partsPage=1

Here is another specific example.
https://www.jegs.com/i/ACDelco/065/45D2484/10002/-1

Much of the time they make the replacement part when the OEM has stopped production.

Let's move on from that running debate
Thank you man. I was going to make a similar post but you saved me the effort.
Old 12-19-23, 05:47 PM
Tdes395
Intermediate

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by FlexnLexus
Good points. The 460 definitely has a much more sophisticated suspension setup, especially at the lower arms, which leads to better wheel articulation for a better ride on uneven pavement.

I will say, that my 460L with air suspension does have a very floaty ride that bobs and weaves way more than the 430 does, but the 430 at times feels more isolated from certain vibrations even if it doesn’t have that “float” to it. But it still has a soft ride which is more level and balanced.

My 460 is due for new air struts, so sometime next year I will replace them.

I think depending on the brand, some aftermarket stuff can be better than OEM or at least equivalent.

The rubber durometer rating is what determines the soft/hardness of the actual rubber component. It could be at the time when Lexus first built these cars is that they went for a very soft rubber bushing which doesn’t last as long.

So possibly the newer parts have a slightly higher rubber durometer rating which offsets the wear but still achieves the smooth soft ride of the original ride quality.

So anyone looking into buying new control arms for our cars, might want to ask the company if they can provide the durometer rating if they even know what it is, so you’ll have an idea how soft or firm the rubber is and decide which brand is better for you if you’re looking for longer lasting bushings.
that’s a good point. Thanks for the education too!!
Old 12-19-23, 06:08 PM
JohnnyC407
Pit Crew

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

never mind......................

Last edited by JohnnyC407; 12-20-23 at 07:58 AM.
Old 12-20-23, 10:15 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,715 Likes on 1,944 Posts

This:

I will say, that my 460L with air suspension does have a very floaty ride that bobs and weaves way more than the 430 does, but the 430 at times feels more isolated from certain vibrations even if it doesn’t have that “float” to it. But it still has a soft ride which is more level and balanced.
Is due to this:

My 460 is due for new air struts, so sometime next year I will replace them.
Even with the air suspension the 460 is firmer damped than the 430...
Old 12-20-23, 01:21 PM
Tdes395
Intermediate

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
This:

Is due to this:

Even with the air suspension the 460 is firmer damped than the 430...
when you say firmer damped is that to say that the ls430 has a smoother ride?
Old 12-21-23, 12:16 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Tdes395
when you say firmer damped is that to say that the ls430 has a smoother ride?
No, the LS430 is sloppier feeling. The 460 has a better dialed in ride which is a better compromise between ride and handling. The LS400 is also more firmly damped than the LS430
Old 12-21-23, 02:07 PM
FlexnLexus
Intermediate

Received 139 Likes on 88 Posts

No, the LS430 is sloppier feeling. The 460 has a better dialed in ride which is a better compromise between ride and handling. The LS400 is also more firmly damped than the LS430

I was surprised how firm the ride was when I test drove a low mileage UL LS 430 with the air suspension.

My 460L with air definitely has a softer ride than the UL 430 version, but the standard 430’s I test drove without air suspension actually rode softer and felt super smooth than the UL 430.

Sometimes I can’t tell which car I like more, but at the moment I’m really digging this 430 and the way it feels overall. It just feels more sturdy and better built.
Old 12-21-23, 02:26 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I was surprised how firm the ride was when I test drove a low mileage UL LS 430 with the air suspension.

My 460L with air definitely has a softer ride than the UL 430 version, but the standard 430’s I test drove without air suspension actually rode softer and felt super smooth than the UL 430.

Sometimes I can’t tell which car I like more, but at the moment I’m really digging this 430 and the way it feels overall. It just feels more sturdy and better built.
Something was wrong with that UL LS430, the dampers were probably frozen on firm or it was a wheel/tire or inflation issue. Note I had a UL LS430 from new and an LS460L with air suspension from new.

Air suspensions can feel firmer at low speeds because they don't dampen sharp quick impacts as well as coil springs. The real payoff is ride quality overall and they feel much more polished.
Old 12-23-23, 08:09 PM
FlexnLexus
Intermediate

Something was wrong with that UL LS430, the dampers were probably frozen on firm or it was a wheel/tire or inflation issue. Note I had a UL LS430 from new and an LS460L with air suspension from new.

Air suspensions can feel firmer at low speeds because they don't dampen sharp quick impacts as well as coil springs. The real payoff is ride quality overall and they feel much more polished.
I feel you. I remember the UL 430 being in normal mode when I test drove it, as the switch selector has only 2 options. it was still smooth, but it wasn’t overly soft and cushy like I was expecting. However, I think that the LS 430 is probably one of the smoothest coil sprung modern cars I’ve driven in a long time. The ES330 is a close one too.

What stands out to me about the 430, with all the ones I’ve test driven so far, is how tight and solid the body structure feels. It doesn’t matter if the car has 50k miles or 200k miles, they all feel extremely rigid with no squeaks or rattles.

Both the 430/460 still can’t compare to my old school '78 Lincoln Continental when it comes to driving your living room couch on wheels in absolute total isolation, but for an everyday driver, they ride way smoother and are relaxing than most new sedans that I’ve been in lately. Most all new sedans I’ve been in such as Ubers and Lyfts have overly harsh rides, from Camrys, Accords, Kia/Hyundais, and even a newish Mercedes E-Class that picked me up one day that felt stiff and bumpy. Super cheap materials in that Benz too, I was shocked.

Surprisingly, coil spring suspensions can feel like you’re riding on air, it’s all about the spring rate and shock resistance.

My 460 with air, feels close to some old Cadillacs I’ve owned in the past with that hint of “float”, but not overly floaty like my Lincoln.

The 430 to me, has the most even leveled ride, that’s more balanced. It doesn’t have a whole lot of body roll either, and I can take curved freeway on ramps with ease in the 430, but in my 460, I need to seriously slow down on some sharp turns since it feels like a much bigger car.
Old 12-24-23, 07:49 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah it sounds to me like your 460 is really worn, and something was wrong with the damping on that UL LS430 you drove. LS430 on coils also rides great (as does the 460 on coils), but the air suspension gives it that additional layer of sophistication to the ride.

ven a newish Mercedes E-Class that picked me up one day that felt stiff and bumpy. Super cheap materials in that Benz too, I was shocked.

Yeah, the E Class is a car that really disappoints me. I have had a few as loaners and we rented one in CA last month and drove it all over LA and Southern CA, just a car that doesn't feel like what it should be. The C Class feels right for what it should be, and the S Class obviously feels right for what it should be, but the E Class just feels like a little bit bigger C Class. Now, you can get them with the 6 cyl engine which helps the refined feel a lot, much better interior options than what loaners and rentals have, and you can get it with an air suspension which I haven't tried...maybe that helps
Old 12-24-23, 11:45 AM
FlexnLexus
Intermediate

To be honest both cars are awesome in their own right. Thats why I bought a 2005 LS 430 and will still keep my '07 460L for as long as possible. That E-Class seriously was a disappointment.

I definitely need to install new air struts, specifically on the rears now. Since I just bought the 430 a month ago and that car needs some lower control arm bushings possibly a timing belt job soon, and the transmission has a code that I am getting it looked at this week to see what’s going with it, plus some new tires. I need to balance financially what’s more important repairs at the moment as well. Because the air struts are so damn expensive, including the labor, I might have to wait at the moment to get them replaced.
The following users liked this post:
SW17LS (12-24-23)