LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Massive interior electrical power failure

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-24, 09:38 AM
dgelliott
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Angry Massive interior electrical power failure

The car : 2013 LS 460, 77k miles. The problem: Hardly anything inside the cabin works that is electrical. The failures include: the GPS system, the backup camera display, all windows except the driver's, the clock hands spun around and stopped at EST but continues to keep time however we live on the West Coast and the clock cannot be changed, the mouse that controls lots of stuff no longer works, the heated seats don't work, the radio and CD player are out. I have not checked the sunroof yet. Strangely enough the driver's window works, the engine runs, the parking sensors, and blind spot detection all work.

The Main Display screen (left side of the big screen) welcomes me as usual on starting the engine but then goes dark after the engine is operating. The right side of the display with the compass works but there is no direction nor latitude shown. These failures all occurred slowly over one day and not all at once that might indicate a fuse failure.

Now I'm looking for a detailed wiring diagram for this car so that the failures can be traced. Any suggestions where to look or what to do to reboot the system?

Don Elliott
Gig Harbor, WA
Old 01-05-24, 10:34 AM
Gerf
Pole Position

Received 857 Likes on 632 Posts

Have you been having any heavy rains lately?
Old 01-05-24, 11:54 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,302 Likes on 1,005 Posts

There is a known issue with door jamb switches, where they short out. It's also possible low battery voltage can cause similar symptoms. Check battery voltage or just charge it with a charger. Disconnect battery cable and reconnect after 30 minutes. This is a type of reset. Windows may need to be reprogrammed. There are several posts on how to do this. With low miles and 10 years old, it's unlikely to be a wiring issue unless rodents have been at work. Or serious water intrusion as mentioned.
Old 01-05-24, 12:03 PM
dgelliott
Rookie

The car sits on a battery maintainer except when driven and consistently reads 12.4-13.2 volts. I'll try the battery disconnect trick this weekend. Thanks.

Don
Old 01-05-24, 12:24 PM
dgelliott
Rookie

Nope, no heavy rain events here in the drippy Pacific NW. But a little rain comes frequently.
Old 01-05-24, 02:24 PM
swfla
Lead Lap

reset window thread. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...dow-reset.html
Old 01-06-24, 10:33 AM
dgelliott
Rookie

So no one knows where I can find a wiring diagram for this beast? I'm going to check for codes on the OBD this weekend but don't have much hope. The automatic door locks on the passenger side are now out too .

Don
Old 01-06-24, 10:39 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

Checking OBD2 codes is always a good move. Basic readers will give basic info. Going to a shop that specializes in Japanese cars, code reader will give more info. I would do that now instead of trying to figure this extremely complex issue on my own. It would save time and stress. I have no idea of your level of experience or ability to diagnose this computer centric vehicle. It's not for novices though. Keep us updated and hope you make some progress.
Old 01-06-24, 11:22 AM
Gerf
Pole Position

Originally Posted by dgelliott
So no one knows where I can find a wiring diagram for this beast? I'm going to check for codes on the OBD this weekend but don't have much hope. The automatic door locks on the passenger side are now out too .

Don
You can get a 2 day subscription here and download all the info for your car.

https://techinfo.toyota.com/techInfo...a.com%3A443%2F
Old 01-06-24, 11:43 AM
Gerf
Pole Position

These failures all occurred slowly over one day and not all at once that might indicate a fuse failure.

So did you check for any blown fuses or fuse links? load test the battery/check charging system ? How's the steering?
Old 01-06-24, 12:17 PM
dgelliott
Rookie

Thanks Gerf. This Sunday is the time to dig into this puzzle and I appreciate the support. The battery is a new AGM as of January 2022 and it sits on a battery maintainer most of the time. Voltages run about 12.7 measured daily. The charging system has been checked by the local Lexus dealer twice in the last six months with no issues found. No steering issues ........yet.

Don
Old 01-07-24, 05:27 PM
dgelliott
Rookie

Results from this Sunday's exploration of the electrical failures are:
  • No codes are displayed on the OBD.
  • Disconnecting the battery for a few hours did nothing on reconnecting. All system failures remain as before.
This is beyond my grade level so sent it to a shop for diagnosis. I'll share what the wizards find later.

Don

Old 01-08-24, 11:24 AM
bobusa
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

To me this seriously sounds like wire loom damage by a rodent or something else. Have you checked that?
Also did you check all the earth connection for rust or looseness?
Old 01-08-24, 12:47 PM
dgelliott
Rookie

We'll see about rodent damage but it is very unlikely given where the car is stored. The failure occurred on a single day but somewhat slowly over two to three hours. The failure of a ground remains a possibility but that will be checked once in the shop. Does this car have a so-called "body control module" like other brands. Since the failures are pretty widespread (seat controls, backup camera, door locks, radio, etc) it would seem more likely that a computer or circuit board is no longer working. We should know once the wizards work their magic. Searching this Forum has turned up other mysterious failures too.
Old 01-08-24, 01:03 PM
Gerf
Pole Position

I can't believe with all those faults a code wasn't set, was techstream used for a health check or was it an aftermarket scan tool?

Quick Reply: Massive interior electrical power failure