LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Rear fans not working No air at all

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-24, 10:47 AM
Nibi
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear vents not working No air at all

Hi everyone I've a lexus LS460 2013 MODEL. There is no air at all coming from the rear vents. Have tried all possible opening outside air, trying the AC, tried fan only. Even on full the front fans works but rear there is no air whatsoever.
I've also checked the climate control settings there's no option for rear separately and no function on back arm rest either.

Any advise what could be wrong and what to do?

Last edited by Nibi; 01-15-24 at 05:58 AM.
Old 01-15-24, 02:38 AM
Nibi
6th Gear

Does anyone have any advice?
Old 01-15-24, 05:20 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,272 Likes on 984 Posts

Check OBD2 for error codes. It's likely something in the computer or mechanism that directs ventilation doors to open and close. Go to Lexus, Toyota or a shop with the expertise and code reader for Lexus. A cheap reader won't give you as much info. Unless you have the executive package with a trunk mounted AC system, there are no rear fans. Just vents from under the dash.

Last edited by swfla; 01-15-24 at 05:37 AM.
Old 01-15-24, 05:43 AM
Boykie
Instructor

Received 582 Likes on 412 Posts

What 'rear fans'? There are no 'rear fans'. Obviously you have only front climate. One fan. That is all.
Old 01-15-24, 05:57 AM
Nibi
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Boykie
What 'rear fans'? There are no 'rear fans'. Obviously you have only front climate. One fan. That is all.
Rear centre and side outlets for the back seat passengers
Old 01-15-24, 06:00 AM
Nibi
6th Gear

Originally Posted by swfla
Check OBD2 for error codes. It's likely something in the computer or mechanism that directs ventilation doors to open and close. Go to Lexus, Toyota or a shop with the expertise and code reader for Lexus. A cheap reader won't give you as much info. Unless you have the executive package with a trunk mounted AC system, there are no rear fans. Just vents from under the dash.
do the attached codes say anything? I assume history means an old issue

Old 01-15-24, 06:55 AM
Boykie
Instructor

Received 582 Likes on 412 Posts

Yes, something's stuck.
Old 01-15-24, 07:32 AM
Nibi
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Boykie
Yes, something's stuck.
Is it a big job to get fixed? Will they need to remove the dash? Sorry I have no clue about this and don't want to get ripped off here
Old 01-15-24, 08:09 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

Based on other posters from your general area, it's a challenge to find knowledgeable repair facilities. Have you got recommendations for a shop that is knowledgeable? I'd concentrate on that. It's likely some disassembly will be required. Get an estimate, then decide if you can live with the issue vs cost to repair.
Old 01-16-24, 07:45 AM
Nibi
6th Gear

Based on other posters from your general area, it's a challenge to find knowledgeable repair facilities. Have you got recommendations for a shop that is knowledgeable? I'd concentrate on that. It's likely some disassembly will be required. Get an estimate, then decide if you can live with the issue vs cost to repair.
No recommendations. Its quite difficult to find a trustworthy reliable place here....I was hoping to have it sorted myself but doesn't look its possible...
Old 01-16-24, 10:06 AM
Gerf
Racer

Received 789 Likes on 587 Posts

Originally Posted by Nibi
No recommendations. Its quite difficult to find a trustworthy reliable place here....I was hoping to have it sorted myself but doesn't look its possible...
You could try this and it may narrow things down for you, open your glove compartment or whatever you call it there and take everything out...remove the small panel on the back of the compartment by pulling it out and up.
You will see white plastic back there, then start your car and leave it in park and either go sit in the passenger seat or just lean over so you can see the area where you removed the panel. Put your heating/AC system in recirc mode and observe if a door opens or closes if it was in recirc when you started the car.

Anyway, this is the most common failure to happen and it's caused by someone changing the cabin filter by forcing the door open instead of using the switch that is pictured below. if it's working properly then the problem is deeper in the underside of the dash and more work to get at.

Edit: I should have mentioned to clear those codes and drive it for awhile and check again but the B1442 code is current and in history so check it out and see what you get.
This video was made at a Lexus dealer because he mentions the custome r" didn't want the battery he recommended only the free stuff"
I just included it because this repair will be very expensive at a dealership but it's one of those jobs that's pure gravy warranty or retail.

Last edited by Gerf; 01-16-24 at 10:44 AM.
The following users liked this post:
HarborAreaTech (03-03-24)
Old 01-16-24, 10:39 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

Gerf's suggestion may address the OBD code. Worth a look and to learn how to change the filter properly so you don't break the door gear. Not too sure if it'll address no air from rear vents. Let us know.
Old 01-16-24, 10:59 AM
Gerf
Racer

Received 789 Likes on 587 Posts

Not too sure if it'll address no air from rear vents.
I can't remember saying it would, I said " You could try this and it may narrow things down for you" What would you recommend?
Old 01-16-24, 03:36 PM
swfla
Lead Lap

My clarification was directed at Nibi. I think you always come up with great ideas Gerf. I've learned a lot from your posts. I think until he finds a shop that's recommended, he live with the situation. Not certain where those gears are buried but would hate to see the dash dismantled only to have more issues from an unskilled mechanic reassembling it. Not a solution (I usually strive for a solution). I wish all threads ended with a solution.