LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

2007 Lexus is 460 l vgrs issue (electronic power steering)

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-24, 04:17 PM
kalebgitau
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2007 Lexus is 460 l vgrs issue (electronic power steering)

Hi, I have been reading and searching but couldn’t find any post about this so I decided to start one. Here is the story. I replaced my lower control arms and got my steering wheel realigned. A few days later, while making a right turn, I hit a pothole at low speeds, and the vgrs light came on with the steering angle misaligning itself. After angling the steering wheel to its neutral position and turning off the car for awhile, the steering wheel went back to its normal position but slightly misaligned but not as bad as before. A few months later, everything was working okay until one day, I had to do an emergency maneuver to the right to avoid hitting the car in front me which caused the alignment of the steering wheel to be misaligned. Did the same process as before, aligned the steering wheel to it’s neutral position and turned off the car and in the morning all was good. I noticed that the steering angle becomes misaligned when turning the wheel all the way to the right and left on which I avoided doing. A few months go by with no issues while still taking precautions, I turned off my car and the next morning, while getting into my car and turning it on, the steering wheel started misaligning itself. I tried turning the car off with the steering wheel being in it’s neutral and it didn’t seem to fix or adjust itself. Took it to the Lexus dealer and explained it to the technician on which he ran his diagnostics and said that the steering has a built in actuator that is damaged and the only way to fix it is replacing the whole steering rack then performing the alignment procedure. Was wondering if anyone has had any experience with this and if replacing the steering rack is the only way to fix it. The dealer quoted me $4,800 for the replacement.
Old 01-16-24, 04:31 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,193 Likes on 887 Posts

Yep, that's about correct. The Lexus system is both painfully expensive, fragile, and not repairable.

Last edited by Striker223; 01-16-24 at 05:13 PM.
Old 01-16-24, 04:48 PM
Gerf
Pole Position

Received 792 Likes on 588 Posts

If you don't have air suspension it's pretty cheap, Lexus labour rate is nutz. from lexuspartsnow but any online store should be the same.

Old 01-16-24, 05:09 PM
kalebgitau
8th Gear

Default Thank you for the reply

Originally Posted by Gerf
If you don't have air suspension it's pretty cheap, Lexus labour rate is nutz. from lexuspartsnow but any online store should be the same.

sadly mine has the air suspension. I do not mind buying the part and having it fixed for this car has been nothing but amazing to me. It just sucks that that became a problem but it is what it is. Do you have a link to the sight? Hopefully they have one with air suspension. I’ll get the part and take it to a local repair shop to replace it
Old 01-16-24, 05:16 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Okay wait a second, do you have have a main rack or VGRS rack failure?
Old 01-16-24, 05:18 PM
kalebgitau
8th Gear

Originally Posted by Striker223
Okay wait a second, do you have have a main rack or VGRS rack failure?
vgrs failure because the steering works fine, no sounds from it and no difficulty but the only issue is the built in actuator which I am guessing is the vgrs according to Lexus which makes it impossible to angle the steering wheel
Old 01-16-24, 05:34 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by kalebgitau
vgrs failure because the steering works fine, no sounds from it and no difficulty but the only issue is the built in actuator which I am guessing is the vgrs according to Lexus which makes it impossible to angle the steering wheel
Then replace the VGRS rack not the main rack. Variable steering cars like this have two steering racks, one at the wheels like any other car and one between that rack and your wheel.

https://www.caranddriver.com/features/a15120796/prime-cuts-lexus-variable-gear-ratio-steering-feature/

Here, this explains how it works. Both Lexus and Audi use a similar system so you can also read up on Audi adaptive steering since factory manuals are much easier to find than Lexus info so you can fully understand it.
Old 01-16-24, 05:55 PM
kalebgitau
8th Gear

Then replace the VGRS rack not the main rack. Variable steering cars like this have two steering racks, one at the wheels like any other car and one between that rack and your wheel.

https://www.caranddriver.com/feature...ering-feature/

Here, this explains how it works. Both Lexus and Audi use a similar system so you can also read up on Audi adaptive steering since factory manuals are much easier to find than Lexus info so you can fully understand it.
thank you so much !!
Old 01-16-24, 05:58 PM
kalebgitau
8th Gear

https://www.caranddriver.com/feature...ering-feature/

also, do you know where I can get the vgrs rack or which shop can have it repaired?
Old 01-16-24, 06:20 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by kalebgitau
also, do you know where I can get the vgrs rack or which shop can have it repaired?
Not off the top of my head no, it's not too easy to find parts for stuff like this due to it being unclear what subversions there are. I would start with the dealer parts webpage
Old 01-16-24, 06:54 PM
Gerf
Pole Position

Received 792 Likes on 588 Posts

It's the same price lol, this place is in California which is ok because it will either come from there if someone has it or be back ordered to Japan from there. It's unlikely someone would still have old stock like that but it's not marked as discontinued.Same pn from 07-09

https://www.mylparts.com/oem-parts/l...Y4LWdhcw%3D%3D
Old 01-16-24, 07:17 PM
Boykie
Instructor

Received 582 Likes on 412 Posts

On LS whole vgrs is inside the rack...
Old 01-16-24, 07:49 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Boykie
On LS whole vgrs is inside the rack...
It's not, the system is in/on the steering column inside the car.

Damn that price sucks! At that point I would risk a used unit

Last edited by Striker223; 01-16-24 at 07:52 PM.
Old 01-16-24, 08:36 PM
Boykie
Instructor

Received 582 Likes on 412 Posts

Well, thought so too. Nope, no motors in the column (apart from tilt etc), and vgrs harness connects to that barrel thingie on top of the rack.

Old 01-16-24, 08:47 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Boykie
Well, thought so too. Nope, no motors in the column (apart from tilt etc), and vgrs harness connects to that barrel thingie on top of the rack.
Wow, that's idiotic if that's the case. Talk about unserviceable....guess the LS isn't setup like the other cars are.

Oh well, guess you will need to harvest a rack from somewhere then or pay stupid money for one. That's so odd they did it that way vs how Audi made it a separate section that you can access/repair....

Quick Reply: 2007 Lexus is 460 l vgrs issue (electronic power steering)