LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Annoyances

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-24, 02:41 AM
PianoPaul
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Annoyances

I've been driving my 08 460 for about 9 months now and I'm still left with a few things that annoy me on a daily basis. Maybe you seasoned LS'ers can help me out with these?
  • The %%^@& disclaimer that shows up whenever you start the car and will stay there until you 'agree' to not do what the car was made to do. Is there any way to make that go away?
  • The AC/Climate control turning off automatically after five minutes or so. I want it to stay on unless I say otherwise.
  • Not being able to close the windows and/or sunroof after turning off the car (Think I just read something on that topic. Holding the outside door lock for a few seconds?).
  • The rain sensor. A few drops of morning dew or just some condensed air may cause the wipers to go off like the car was hit by a tidal wave. Then again, light rain slowly blocking my view will not trigger the wipers at all.
  • The light sensor. Lights don't come on automatically unless the darkest of nights have set. Dusk or rain won't cut it. I would actually prefer the lights to be on permanently (for lack of running lights), but buzzer says no.
  • The rear view cam doesn't always come on when shifting to R. Also, the image is often not great or even useless with a bit of drizzle or nightfall.
My final annoyance is with the entertainment system. Yes, it rocks for a 15-year old car, but it has features that I know are there but somehow I can't find. How do I know this? Well...
My car came installed with the "Agama App Launcher" (took me 3 months to find that out, but okay). This android app allows me to do some things that don't seem to be available from the standard menu, like install other apps (Netflix, Spotify, Google maps, etc. Good stuff), but also it seems to be the only way to connect my iPhone and play music from there or use 3P navigation. Problem is that it doesn't automatically reconnect to my phone's BT and Wi-Fi and I have to manually connect them every single time. Inconvenience strikes.
So finally determined to end my woes, I memorized the name Agama, did some googling, found the app (What?! It's Russian??!!) and read that it doesn't have any functionality of it's own. It's just a simplified user interface, hence an 'app launcher'. This means that all this sexy functionality of having a full android system and using my phone should be available somehow, somewhere from the Lexus system. Being a software engineer by day, it took me a while to admit defeat but I am unable to find any of these features from the standard menu.
How did they even get this Agama app installed without...well, the Agama app??

Apologies if some of these questions already have been answered elsewhere, but I thought I'd bundle my grievances. Maybe we can make this the great annoyances thread?

PS
You have not experienced Netflix until you hear it over a Mark Levinson sound system.
Old 02-06-24, 07:47 AM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 345 Likes on 262 Posts

You nailed it. It's a 15 (now 16) year old car. First, the 08 doesn't have Bluetooth audio. Secondly if you have an installed device that can get you apps, that's great. Overall its a dated car that was exceptional in it's day. All the concerns you have come from a car that has aged and the tech around it has improved greatly. My 08 was my favorite car and yes the audio system is still second to none. Enjoy!
The following 2 users liked this post by R Z:
dlbuckls10 (02-06-24), texas008 (02-23-24)
Old 02-06-24, 09:30 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,302 Likes on 1,005 Posts

I believe the screen menu allows you to adjust auto headlight sensitivity. It may also let you adjust climate control settings. Rain sensors can malfunction with age or after a new windshield is installed. You can buy new gel pad to make proper bond. Rear cam is a repair.
The following users liked this post:
PianoPaul (02-06-24)
Old 02-06-24, 01:38 PM
Anfanger
Pole Position

Received 893 Likes on 659 Posts

Hmmm... I actually don't have any of those problems.
Old 02-06-24, 02:03 PM
Gerf
Pole Position

Received 857 Likes on 632 Posts

Originally Posted by PianoPaul
I've been driving my 08 460 for about 9 months now and I'm still left with a few things that annoy me on a daily basis. Maybe you seasoned LS'ers can help me out with these?
  • The %%^@& disclaimer that shows up whenever you start the car and will stay there until you 'agree' to not do what the car was made to do. Is there any way to make that go away?
  • The AC/Climate control turning off automatically after five minutes or so. I want it to stay on unless I say otherwise.
  • Not being able to close the windows and/or sunroof after turning off the car (Think I just read something on that topic. Holding the outside door lock for a few seconds?).
  • The rain sensor. A few drops of morning dew or just some condensed air may cause the wipers to go off like the car was hit by a tidal wave. Then again, light rain slowly blocking my view will not trigger the wipers at all.
  • The light sensor. Lights don't come on automatically unless the darkest of nights have set. Dusk or rain won't cut it. I would actually prefer the lights to be on permanently (for lack of running lights), but buzzer says no.
  • The rear view cam doesn't always come on when shifting to R. Also, the image is often not great or even useless with a bit of drizzle or nightfall.
Sounds to me like your control arms need replacing.
outthere2 (02-12-24)
Old 02-06-24, 02:06 PM
Nospinzone

Received 427 Likes on 330 Posts

I have a 2007, so maybe I can help you with a couple things, but some may be different in your model year..

Regarding the disclaimer requiring you to "agree", this requirement was in the early versions of the navigation system. I believe you would have to have this system upgraded to a newer version. Unfortunately this can only be done at a dealer and the cost back when I did it about 2009 was $150.

The A/C turning off automatically is some malfunction with your car, this is not standard.

Don't know about the windows, but even if you shut the car off, simply hit a START button once and complete the functions.

Congrats on the car and as you said they are annoyances, but be thankful you haven't had a major failure.

As far as "Agama App Launcher", that clearly was added by a previous owner. You are on your own with that one!

As swfla mentioned, your windshield may have been replaced by a previous owner. It is definitely malfaunctioning.

The dealer can turn on your running lights.

Sounds like there is a faulty switch when you shift into neutral. Unfortunately those kind of nagging issues are difficult to resolve. As for the view, try cleaning the camera lens with a damp cloth. At this time of year in the northeast with all the salt and grime on the roads I have had to clean mine off once in a while.
Old 02-06-24, 02:20 PM
miket000
Instructor

Received 528 Likes on 325 Posts

You can use techstream to adjust personalized settings for the climate control. I found some of the auto climate settings annoying and turned them off.
You can also select how long interior power stays on after shut down ( for closing windows / sunroof). Although once you open the door I believe power shuts off regardless of settings. Some of these settings can be hard to find in techstream but they are there.
Some more common settings to turn off are daytime lights, seat belt chime, 1 press to unlock all doors vs 2.
Some pictures of your aftermarket infotainment system might help others diagnose your phones auto connect.
Nospinzone (02-06-24)
Old 02-06-24, 02:43 PM
Nospinzone

Received 427 Likes on 330 Posts

Originally Posted by miket000
You can use techstream to adjust personalized settings for the climate control.
Oh yea, thanks for posting that. I'm used to what we had to deal with in 2007, that's ancient history.
miket000 (02-06-24)
Old 02-06-24, 03:02 PM
PianoPaul
Rookie

I was under the impression that the Agama app added the bluetooth audio, but now that I read the Agama instructions (partly) it appears that this app only provides a new interface for functionality that is already present. In other words, the 08 does have bluetooth audio hidden in there somewhere.
https://agama-car-launcher.en.uptodown.com/android
Old 02-06-24, 03:05 PM
PianoPaul
Rookie

Originally Posted by Anfanger
Hmmm... I actually don't have any of those problems.
What's your secret?
Old 02-06-24, 03:16 PM
PianoPaul
Rookie

Originally Posted by miket000
You can use techstream to adjust personalized settings for the climate control. I found some of the auto climate settings annoying and turned them off.
You can also select how long interior power stays on after shut down ( for closing windows / sunroof). Although once you open the door I believe power shuts off regardless of settings. Some of these settings can be hard to find in techstream but they are there.
Some more common settings to turn off are daytime lights, seat belt chime, 1 press to unlock all doors vs 2.
Some pictures of your aftermarket infotainment system might help others diagnose your phones auto connect.
I did mess around with techstream after I purchased the car. Managed to turn off the seatbelt chime. The battery it came with wasn't the best and goofing around in techstream with the ACC on drained it faster than I could navigate. Changed the battery and had the alternator replaced (now my shop tech doesn't like me anymore), so I will give it another go.

From what I read it's not an aftermarket infotainment system, but merely a custom user interface.
I was under the impression that the Agama app added the bluetooth audio, but now that I read the Agama instructions (partly) it appears that this app only provides a new interface for functionality that is already present. In other words, the 08 does have bluetooth audio hidden in there somewhere.
https://agama-car-launcher.en.uptodown.com/android
Old 02-06-24, 03:19 PM
PianoPaul
Rookie

Originally Posted by Gerf
Sounds to me like your control arms need replacing.
That's what I keep telling my physician, but he insists it's the car.
The following 3 users liked this post by PianoPaul:
DavidinCT (02-06-24), evansj (02-07-24), Gerf (02-06-24)
Old 02-06-24, 04:44 PM
DavidinCT
Racer

Received 201 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by PianoPaul
My final annoyance is with the entertainment system. Yes, it rocks for a 15-year old car, but it has features that I know are there but somehow I can't find. How do I know this? Well...
My car came installed with the "Agama App Launcher" (took me 3 months to find that out, but okay). This android app allows me to do some things that don't seem to be available from the standard menu, like install other apps (Netflix, Spotify, Google maps, etc. Good stuff), but also it seems to be the only way to connect my iPhone and play music from there or use 3P navigation. Problem is that it doesn't automatically reconnect to my phone's BT and Wi-Fi and I have to manually connect them every single time. Inconvenience strikes.
So finally determined to end my woes, I memorized the name Agama, did some googling, found the app (What?! It's Russian??!!) and read that it doesn't have any functionality of it's own. It's just a simplified user interface, hence an 'app launcher'. This means that all this sexy functionality of having a full android system and using my phone should be available somehow, somewhere from the Lexus system. Being a software engineer by day, it took me a while to admit defeat but I am unable to find any of these features from the standard menu.
How did they even get this Agama app installed without...well, the Agama app??

Apologies if some of these questions already have been answered elsewhere, but I thought I'd bundle my grievances. Maybe we can make this the great annoyances thread?

PS
You have not experienced Netflix until you hear it over a Mark Levinson sound system.
I did have a 2007 and remember it well. This is an older car, so some old tech.

1. The disclaimer, - This is a factory thing, it's dumb, I agree but, no way around it. There were some 3rd party items that people installed (not sure what they are any more) to not have to do that. This is something you will have to live with.
2. I never had this issue but, according to others this can be addressed with TechStream (There is a hacked version with a cable that can be picked up on eBay for like $15-20, and you can install on a laptop to use it), I have used it, and it's not the easiest thing to work with but, not bad once you understand it, YouTube would be your friend here.
3. Closing Windows, Nope, No way to do this without a 3rd party item installed. The hold of the lock button (or is it unlock?) will open all windows but, no way to close them with a remote. Same with the Trunk, you can open it and HIT the button(in the trunk) to close it but, you cannot do it from the remote, or even the button in the car, this is the same on my 2014.

The last 3, never had issues like that, It's nice you have a 3rd party thing on the Audio system, I do remember my 2007 ML system was epic, far better than the 2014 ML system I have now. Lots of people would agree here. If you have a kit in your car that that uses Apple CarPlay, or Android Auto, they use Bluetooth the connect but, the data is connected via wi-fi on your phone. This would use data on from your phone. I am not sure on the exact system you have.
The following 2 users liked this post by DavidinCT:
PianoPaul (02-07-24), swfla (02-06-24)
Old 02-21-24, 01:16 PM
PianoPaul
Rookie

Okay, so I'm an idiot. I discovered today that my car came with the VLine2.0 installed and that's what's giving me the Android system. The Agama launcher is just an app on the Vline.
D'oh!