LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

New Lexus owner, advise on audio and infotainment

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-24, 05:56 AM
Emielio
9th Gear

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default New Lexus owner, advise on audio and infotainment

I am a new Lexus owner, 2007 LS460 President with Mark Levinson audio.

I need to upgrade my infotainment and maybe also a part of the audio.

As I also have a 2019 Tesla, and before had some recent BMW's, I am used to quite good infotainment systems, and would love to upgrade the Lexus to a better level, then the 2007 factory setup.

Currently after a few days of owning, my conclusion is: The original infotainment has a
resistive touch screen that is uncomfortable, the software is too old for me. Furthermore the audio is a little bit basic, although it’s called "Mark Levinson", it’s far from impressive.
When I talk about the audio quality, it seems that everything functions well, but the quality is just basic. I see 3 possible reasons:
1. The standards in audio quality have changed. So the stereo is just good for that time.
2. Something is broken, that has influenced the quality without sounding broken.
3. It’s just wear.

I want to upgrade the infotainment screen with an android screen. Furthermore I would like to upgrade the audio a bit, if the costs are manageable.
My budget would be max.
1500 for the android-screen and max. 2500 for both screen and audio.

I have been researching this forum, AliExpress and all other sources to find info, and I learned a bit, but I also still have many doubts and questions.

What I have learned until now is that:
You have versions with a big screen (Tesla style), small screen and versions that use the original screen.
If all else would be the same, I would love the big screen. But somehow I see that most bigger screen versions use older hardware (SOC/RAM) and also very old android versions. Personally I prefer newer hardware and android versions. Seems it would be more future proof. I also saw the gromaudio option, that is not an option for two reasons: very low specs, old android version, and uses the original screen of the car that has
resistive touch. And aftermarket screens use capacitive touch that is a lot more comfortable.

Some even offer 360 view, seems to be with mounting extra cameras...Don’t need that.

The Chinese zwnav offers a lot of options, even a version with an alternative display above the dashboard: https://zwnav.net/products/android-1...wifi-bt-5.0-4g

This last one seems to be their premium option.

Most offerings are obviously from China, while I see a few from western countries. The advantage of western countries is the communication and support. What I don’t like is that all the offerings from western countries use extremely outdated hardware and android versions.

Furthermore I see options for replacing the camera in the back. My original camera does still function properly, and the image quality is okey. But if it’s easy I would love to replace it for a newer one, that has a wider angle, is brighter, and performs better in dark conditions, like in my Tesla.

So questions I have are:

Does anyone have any recent experience with a good infotainment replacement, and where did you buy it?

If for now, I want to use the Lexus rear camera, but would like the option to later upgrades this camera, should I think about this too right now?

I sometimes see “high trim”/ “Low trim” options. I don’t know what that means, one shows a brighter navi-display and a less bright one. If I look at that mine should be the low trim. But I also see versions without any touchscreen and they also call that one low trim.

I never see any option when buying the screen on the type of audio (yes/no Mark Levinson) and here on the forum people seem to say that’s also important.

Will all functions really work well with those systems, like buttons on the steering wheel? Any expirience?

Are there any other things I have to take into account that I forget?

Are there easy and affordable ways to improve the Mark Levinson audio?

I don’t see all of them writing about internet access? My Tesla (and the BMW before that) have a Simard. I would like my infotainment to be connected to internet. YouTube, Google maps, Browsing and so on, how do they connect?

My current shortlist of options is:

https://zwnav.net/products/android-1...wifi-bt-5.0-4g

https://zwnav.net/products/android9....ereo-head-unit

https://4x4shop.ca/product/2006-2012...cement-screen/

https://phoenixautomotiveinc.com/pro...s460-2006-2012

Old 02-16-24, 07:19 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,272 Likes on 984 Posts

Welcome to forum. There have been others who wish to upgrade the system. There are a few head units out there that will fit the opening, but that’s where it ends. The plugs won’t match and adapters aren’t available. This requires figuring out the wires. Aftermarket speakers are fairly easy to fit the openings. Aftermarket amps require bare wire changes. If you do a few searches, you’re bound to find a find examples of members who upgraded. It’s labor intensive, so, unless you do it yourself, prepare for a large labor bill. You can get it done if you persevere.
The following users liked this post:
Emielio (02-17-24)
Old 02-16-24, 07:28 AM
evansj
Rookie

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Hi Emielio,

The low end / high end that I think you're referring to is possibly poorly translated. I think it's referring to the different Lexus software levels that were in use between 2007 and 2012. In the Zwnav link you included, my 2008 LS600hL is using the "low end" software.

I like the look of that screen and I made some enquiries via AliExpress. I asked:

Please can you answer a few questions about this? I have a Right hand drive Lexus LS600hL from 2008.
does it trigger the airbag warning in the car (because the factory radio contains the passenger airbag on/off light)

does it work with the factory reversing camera?
does it work with the rear seat radio controls and roof screen?
does it work with the factory DVD changer?
also does it support the factory info screens such as energy, economy, service warnings etc.?
and for what it's worth, their answer was:

These functions are not supported. The original car camera and the original car roof screen are not supported. The factory DVD is no longer available.

So given that it's over £1000 for the top level hardware, I haven't placed an order yet!
Emielio (02-17-24)
Old 02-16-24, 07:57 AM
Emielio
9th Gear

It’s labor intensive, so, unless you do it yourself, prepare for a large labor bill. You can get it done if you persevere.
I am lucky that my girlfriend repairs electeronics (pones/laptops) as her job.

​​​​​​​These functions are not supported. The original car camera and the original car roof screen are not supported. The factory DVD is no longer available.
Thats odd because most (see the links i posted) do claim a few of those like airbag and reverse camera.

​​​​​​​So given that it's over £1000 for the top level hardware, I haven't placed an order yet!
I can imagine that!
Old 02-16-24, 11:17 AM
Nospinzone

Received 418 Likes on 322 Posts

Welcome to Club Lexus. Congrats on your new LS460 and I wish you good luck with it!

I don't have the technical knowledge to help you with your questions. I would just give you this caveat. Having been on this forum for years most advice you might read on here pertains to cars manufacturered for the USA market and does no necessarily apply to cars manufactured for other countries. I don't recall specifically, but there can be differences for some functions so just be aware of that.
The following 2 users liked this post by Nospinzone:
Emielio (02-17-24), swfla (02-16-24)
Old 02-17-24, 01:24 AM
Emielio
9th Gear

I just started a matrix with info that i think its relevant to my choice. See the attachment for the excel.
I will further complete the matrix as i will receive more info. I will start mailing all sellers with questions once i have the feeling i have a complete list and i know what aspects are most important.

Attached Files
File Type: xlsx
matrix.xlsx (11.5 KB, 24 views)
bobusa (02-17-24)
Old 02-17-24, 07:43 AM
bobusa
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Emielio
I just started a matrix with info that i think its relevant to my choice. See the attachment for the excel.
I will further complete the matrix as i will receive more info. I will start mailing all sellers with questions once i have the feeling i have a complete list and i know what aspects are most important.
Thanks for summing it up. The ZWNAV seems interesting. I wonder who has experience with this unit? Just like you I live in the Netherlands, but most likely want to keep the car original, as I have fear of loosing reliability. And the ZWNAV seems to take over a lot of funtions of the dash. I would need to have some proof of compatibility before I would make that choise. Plus that I see a lot of units like this that have fit problems. So I would need more samples showing that.

Last edited by bobusa; 02-17-24 at 08:10 AM.
Emielio (02-17-24)
Old 02-17-24, 07:50 AM
Emielio
9th Gear

Originally Posted by bobusa
Thanks for summing it up. The ZWNAV seems interesting. I wonder who has experience with this unit? Just like you I live in the Netherlands, but most likely want to keep the car original, as I have fear of loosing reliability. And the ZWNAV seems to take over a lot of funtions of the dash. I would need to have some proof of compatibility before I would make that choise.
I understand you. For me the current infotainment is allmost completely useless... I dont have an aux in, or bluetooth music option. So i am currently using a bluetooth speaker to listen to music...
And having to type complete adresses on that horrible touchscreen is a pain in the @$$.
And what use does a back-up camera have that you first have to click accept every time to use it...
Old 02-17-24, 08:13 AM
bobusa
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Yes, you have the first generation I presume. I have the 2010-2012 version of the LS with Aux, USB (2x) and Bluetooth. So a little more lucky and less need for such a unit.
Emielio (02-17-24)
Old 02-17-24, 08:49 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Emielio
I understand you. For me the current infotainment is allmost completely useless... I dont have an aux in, or bluetooth music option. So i am currently using a bluetooth speaker to listen to music...
And having to type complete adresses on that horrible touchscreen is a pain in the @$$.
And what use does a back-up camera have that you first have to click accept every time to use it...
You can purchase a Bluetooth adapter that sends the music to and FM station. It allows you to send music through the car audio system. I’m guessing tha
Guessing there’s a version for your country and its fm frequencies as well.
Maybe a GROM Vline system would help you tremendously. Go to their web site and read up. Many members love it.
Old 02-17-24, 08:53 AM
Emielio
9th Gear

Originally Posted by swfla
You can purchase a Bluetooth adapter that sends the music to and FM station. It allows you to send music through the car audio system. I’m guessing tha
Guessing there’s a version for your country and its fm frequencies as well.
Maybe a GROM Vline system would help you tremendously. Go to their web site and read up. Many members love it.
I did buy this last week, as i was going on a road trip. But this is not a nice solution. Most of the FM bandwith is full, so when driving you have to keep changing the frequency to find a new empty spot...

The bluetooth speaker is the most stressfree solution for now. Because it just works. But i am really focussed on getting the best android screen that i can find.

The Grom solution is nice because of the integration, but i really need a better system, with modern screen and things like that. Grom uses the original screen, where the touch is bad, and it uses very old dated hardware and android version. I want something more modern.

Last edited by Emielio; 02-17-24 at 09:32 AM.
swfla (02-17-24)
Old 02-17-24, 02:44 PM
swfla
Lead Lap

When you have a solution, we’d all be very pleased to learn about it.
Emielio (02-18-24)