LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Moving from LS430 to LS460 - Battery Questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-24, 11:54 AM
jmcraney

Received 268 Likes on 204 Posts

The major standby load is the keyless entry system. The keyless entry system is disabled after the car has been locked for 2 weeks. Your owner’s manual explains this.
The following users liked this post:
Dean2 (04-26-24)
Old 04-27-24, 05:17 PM
jmcraney

Received 268 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by Dean2
A bit of an update to my post above. Have had the LS460 on a battery tender all winter. Car hasn't been driven for about 35 days, prior to unplugging the tender. Took it off two weeks ago as I was going away and didn't want to plugged in while I was gone. Got back, measured the battery voltage, still at 12.67 after 14 days just sitting.

So the good news is, for longer term sits the car must go into a deeper sleep than what I was first measuring. Once it has sat un-driven for a month or so, the draw must drop to nearly nothing as 12.67 is virtually a fully charged battery. If the draw had remained at even 40 Milliamps, it would have drawn it down more than that.

So a battery in good condition, and a car stored in heated indoor storage, no alarm armed, appears to be able to sit for very l;ong periods of time without flattening the battery.
I applaud your sage observation that the car's standby load is greatly increased when it is locked. It's not the alarm system but the keyless entry. If locking the car is not important then you can just not lock it and the standby battery load is much reduced. If it is important to keep the standby load low when the car is locked, you can turn the keyless entry system off and operate with slightly less convenience. Older cars require an electronic tool to turn off the keyless entry system through the OBDII connector. Newer cars allow the keyless entry system to be turned off through the customization controls in the dash. Let me know if you need more details and I will try to explain this better.
Old 04-30-24, 04:38 PM
Zetascry
Pit Crew

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

A bit of an update to my post above. Have had the LS460 on a battery tender all winter. Car hasn't been driven for about 35 days, prior to unplugging the tender. Took it off two weeks ago as I was going away and didn't want to plugged in while I was gone. Got back, measured the battery voltage, still at 12.67 after 14 days just sitting.

So the good news is, for longer term sits the car must go into a deeper sleep than what I was first measuring. Once it has sat un-driven for a month or so, the draw must drop to nearly nothing as 12.67 is virtually a fully charged battery. If the draw had remained at even 40 Milliamps, it would have drawn it down more than that.

So a battery in good condition, and a car stored in heated indoor storage, no alarm armed, appears to be able to sit for very l;ong periods of time without flattening the battery.
does this apply to all 4 doors locked? What if I leave only the driver door unlocked and 3 doors locked- for ease of access
Old 04-30-24, 05:07 PM
Dean2
Driver

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Zetascry
does this apply to all 4 doors locked? What if I leave only the driver door unlocked and 3 doors locked- for ease of access
Well try it out and let us know becuase I can't think of a single good reason to lock three doors and leave one open when parking the car for 2 or more weeks.
Old 04-30-24, 05:40 PM
Zetascry
Pit Crew

Well try it out and let us know becuase I can't think of a single good reason to lock three doors and leave one open when parking the car for 2 or more weeks.
re read what I wrote smart guy
Old 04-30-24, 05:51 PM
Dean2
Driver

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Zetascry
re read what I wrote smart guy
I read it perfectly right the first time. Does not change my comment one bit. What would be the point of locking just 3 doors. If the car is in secure parking, leave all 4 open for ease of access. If it isn't in secure storage you had better lock all 4.

On top of that, you are giving me attitude after all the work I went to, to post this information in the first place? Ingrate.
Old 04-30-24, 05:57 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,240 Likes on 1,359 Posts

Let's keep things polite folks.

Zetascry, your post was not clear what your 'use case' for leaving one door unlocked is. It's a valid question and if you want help on the answer consider answering it. I suspect no one will have ever tried doing that so you're probably on your own to test it out.
Old 04-30-24, 06:17 PM
Zetascry
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
Let's keep things polite folks.

Zetascry, your post was not clear what your 'use case' for leaving one door unlocked is. It's a valid question and if you want help on the answer consider answering it. I suspect no one will have ever tried doing that so you're probably on your own to test it out.
It’s a question out of curiosity, I have no need to access my car but to drive it. Hence only driver door unlocked.