LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

LS 460 O2 Sensor Replacement bank 1 Sensor 1 & Bank 2 Sensor 1

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-24, 01:28 AM
Gaberomero
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default LS 460 O2 Sensor Replacement bank 1 Sensor 1 & Bank 2 Sensor 1

I just replaced my much dreaded bank 1 sensor 1 due to CEL P2238 code - mine is 07 LS 460L but should be same for all years

( driver side ) oxygen sensor. There's really not too much simple direction help on this to my surprise. It's not the simplest diy but not the hardest when you really get down to it. I want to help others after tackling this.. especially due to how expensive a repair these are if you take it to a shop.
here is the simplest instructions I can give.. I'm not a mechanic just a diy'r so please excuse my lack of correct wording for things.

here's how to do it:

● disconnect negative battery cable
● Remove the aluminum skid plate
● Remove both frame braces driver & passenger side
( or whatever side you're doing )
● Remove torsion bar bolts (2 bolts) on each - drive side and passenger side

now you should be able to see the 02 sensor
● unscrew o2 sensor ( I heated mine up with a torch lighter and it came off easy ) it did look original

● Remove the plastic clip from the metal bracket
( you're going to reuse this so install this piece to your new sensor )
● tuck the sensor behind the exhaust pipe so you have full access to the harness.
● take a long thin flat head screw driver to the 9 o'clock side of the harness and gently unclip the plastic tab connector while tugging on the sensor to unclip
( this takes patience to get it off. I read for most people this was the hardest part but for me it surprisingly unclipped on the first try after trying for a while with a long right angle ( 90° pick I was told I needed by a mechanic that did one ( the pick was worthless for me but you may find it useful

( it will come in handy for installing the harness possibly so be sure to get a long good one that has little flex about 12 - 18" will work

for this you definitely need lots of patience and understanding of how the sensor is connected. If you get overwhelmed take a beat, relax for a bit and then get back at it.
● Remove o2 sensor
drink an ice cold sweaty beer
installation :
HERE'S A VALUABLE TIP
I didn't do this but I wish I did...
get a wire ( like clothes hanger) about 1 foot or so or something to guide the harness upto the female end and zip tie to the wire just under the connector snug enough to guide up but loose enough to slide off when done
( this may just save your life here )
( for me this was by far the hardest part of the job since the female harness got pushed so far up when trying to connect it hopefully yours is easier to get to )

● install the harness by guiding it upto the female connector and use a long screwdriver to push it to clip in while using a long right angle pick to hold the female side of the connector from pushing all the way up to the top. I was going to fast and messed up here. ( breath, be patient and stay calm )
● be sure to listen for the clip to engage otherwise it's probably not clipped in place and you'll have to do this all over again
● clip the plastic tab back in the metal bracket
● screw in the sensor ( be sure to twist the wires before screwing it in so they aren't severely twisted up after tightened.
drink an ice cold sweaty beer
Put everything back together and you're done or do the passenger side which is recommended to do them in pairs, upto you.

So that's it folks. Please let me know if you have any pointers besides this or if anything comes up while doing yours. Let me know how the wire tip works out if you do that.

each sensor is estimated at 5-6 hrs shop time but I really think this can be done in half that or less if it goes smooth.

Let me know how long it takes you!

The following 3 users liked this post by Gaberomero:
bobusa (05-14-24), evansj (05-14-24), Marc780 (05-14-24)
Old 05-18-24, 11:34 AM
Fastnlight
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How many miles on car?
Old 05-20-24, 10:15 PM
Gaberomero
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Fastnlight
How many miles on car?
193k miles