LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Retaining the Leather Smell

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-24 | 07:52 AM
JohnnyC407
Pit Crew

Just in case anyone is new, the leather absolutely needs conditioning. Lexus has semi-aniline seats which are a pigment dyed and have a protective layer on top. They absolutely need to be conditioned. All leather needs to be conditioned and Lexus seats are not an exception to the rule.
Old 05-22-24 | 09:09 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by JohnnyC407
Just in case anyone is new, the leather absolutely needs conditioning. Lexus has semi-aniline seats which are a pigment dyed and have a protective layer on top. They absolutely need to be conditioned. All leather needs to be conditioned and Lexus seats are not an exception to the rule.
Depends on the level of leather you have, most of it is just plain old sealed leather
Old 05-22-24 | 10:30 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

This is not true. “Conditioner” does not penetrate the urethane layer on top. Most high end car leather nowadays is semi-aniline, the topcoat is no different. What you need to do is protect and maintain that protective layer. Creamy old school “leather conditioners” don’t do anything, you need a modern UV blocking protectant. It can be the same protectant you use on the dash etc.
Old 05-22-24 | 10:38 AM
JohnnyC407
Pit Crew

A 2014 Lexus LS has semi-aniline seats. Which only have a protection on the top. So does my 2008. These are not sealed leather. Toyota/Lexus recommends cleaning and conditioning for semi-aniline seats.

Do some basic research on semi-aniline leather before saying it doesn't penetrate. Especially after a few years. If you don't believe me, buy some and put it on your seats. It'll soak in and won't pool on top. It soaks in b/c semi-aniline leather is breathable.

Last edited by JohnnyC407; 05-22-24 at 10:42 AM.
Old 05-22-24 | 10:48 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

A 2014 Lexus LS has semi-aniline seats. Which only have a protection on the top. So does my 2008. These are not sealed leather. Toyota/Lexus recommends cleaning and conditioning for semi-aniline seats.

Do some basic research on semi-aniline leather before saying it doesn't penetrate. Especially after a few years. If you don't believe me, buy some and put it on your seats. It'll soak in and won't pool on top. It soaks in b/c semi-aniline leather is breathable.
Yes they are sealed leather. It has an impenetrable coating on the top, like all automotive leather. Semi-aniline refers to how it is dyed, the top coat is the same. If you were talking about fully aniline leather you would be right, but that leather is not used in cars with very few exceptions (older King Ranch pickups).

I’ve been detailing cars for 30 years. Conditioner will not soak into coated leather, it just sits on the top and evaporates off. Oily conditioners can also degrade the coating. Put a drop of water on the leather and watch what happens, the bead of water just sits there and doesn’t soak in.

If you would do some research you would come to the same conclusion. Read and watch content put out by the top companies that make products for treating and caring for automotive leather and you’ll see.

That’s not to say you should not use a protectant on the leather, you should, but the protectant you need is a UV inhibitor same as you would use for any type of plastic. This does not soak in, it sits on top and forms a protective barrier.

Last edited by SW17LS; 05-22-24 at 10:51 AM.
Old 05-22-24 | 11:00 AM
Gerf
Pole Position

Yes the mid 2000 King Ranch's had nice looking leather but I'm pretty sure it was still split grain, I would like seats made from full grain bull hide. I've never really liked Lexus leather but it's better than cloth.
Old 05-22-24 | 11:07 AM
JohnnyC407
Pit Crew

Weird how TOYOTA says to condition it. But I'm sure you know better than the manufacturer. Oil conditioners do not evaporate off. Put Lexol on your seat and see if it beads up. It absorbs in within 5 minutes. Take 10 min and google semi aniline breathability. Take the L and move on.

How to Clean Leather Seats | Leather Seat Care | North Hollywood Toyota
How to Clean Leather Car Seats | Leather Seat Care | Brent Brown Toyota
How To Take Care of Leather Interiors | Toyota of Clermont
Old 05-22-24 | 11:10 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Those are Toyota dealers. Read your owners manual, it says to clean the leather with a damp cloth or a 5% solution of detergent for wool (Woolite) and does not say to condition it.

Like I said, do some research. Yes I trust people who specialize in cleaning and protecting automotive leather over dealerships that also say you need to flush your engine etc.

Lexol does not absorb, it evaporates. Lots of better products out there than Lexi (which I first used 30 years ago)

Last edited by SW17LS; 05-22-24 at 11:14 AM.
Old 05-22-24 | 11:17 AM
Gerf
Pole Position

Old 05-22-24 | 11:21 AM
JohnnyC407
Pit Crew

Here's a little research in case anyone is interested. And those holes in the seat are whatcha call, not sealed. And those are the easily visible ones. Ooops.
How To Clean Leather Car Seats - The Definitive Guide (performancemotorcare.com)

Semi-aniline leather should be cleaned and conditioned at once a year... (chambersnaturalproducts.com)

In-Depth Guide to Semi-Aniline Leather: Pros & Cons - Woolbury

Semi-Aniline Leather: The Best of Both Worlds - Popov Leather®

How To Clean Leather Car Seats The Right Way - Big's Mobile Detailing (bigsmobile.com)

Should the leather in my car be cleaned and conditioned? (autodetaildoctor.com)

How to Clean and Protect Leather Car Seats | Chemical Guys
Old 05-22-24 | 11:30 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Weird how TOYOTA says to condition it. But I'm sure you know better than the manufacturer. Oil conditioners do not evaporate off. Put Lexol on your seat and see if it beads up. It absorbs in within 5 minutes. Take 10 min and google semi aniline breathability. Take the L and move on.

How to Clean Leather Seats | Leather Seat Care | North Hollywood Toyota
How to Clean Leather Car Seats | Leather Seat Care | Brent Brown Toyota
How To Take Care of Leather Interiors | Toyota of Clermont
You should probably take the L since the leather is sealed nearly everywhere on even a top spec LS. Very few areas on even a full leather car won't be too coat sealed.....
Old 05-22-24 | 11:31 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

All you are doing is linking sales pitches......
Old 05-22-24 | 11:35 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I’m not going to keep arguing with you. Some of the leather is perforated, you don’t want stuff absorbed through the perforations. The surface of the leather is coated and is not penetrable. You can keep doing what you want but it accomplishes nothing.

Read your owners manual.
Old 05-22-24 | 11:39 AM
JohnnyC407
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I’m not going to keep arguing with you. Some of the leather is perforated, you don’t want stuff absorbed through the perforations. The surface of the leather is coated and is not penetrable. You can keep doing what you want but it accomplishes nothing.

Read your owners manual.
You don't want leather conditioner absorbed into the leather? I guess all the repeat business Lexol does is b/c their products don't work on car seats. How silly of me.
Old 05-22-24 | 11:40 AM
JohnnyC407
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Striker223
All you are doing is linking sales pitches......
I linked leather producers. But sure. Ignore those guys too.

Quick Reply: Retaining the Leather Smell