LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Are engine covers needed?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-24, 09:05 AM
Fastnlight
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Are engine covers needed?

Is there any purpose to the engine covers other than aesthetic’s? They’re a pain to deal with when I when I just want to do a visual inspection, I’d like to just keep them off. The only one I notice that may be functional is the one that is connected to the air intake in the front.
Old 05-17-24, 10:26 AM
JohnnyC407
Pit Crew

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Sound and airflow.
The following users liked this post:
Fastnlight (05-17-24)
Old 05-17-24, 01:15 PM
Marc780
Pit Crew

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

I did a post about this too. Same reasons as you. The general opinion was that they should (probably) be left in place since that's how Lexus designed it to be.

I did leave them alone, for a while. But the last time I changed my air filters and had to take em off I just didn't put most of them back on. With one exception: the plastic cover that goes over the battery. That bit is what re-routes rain water and keeps the battery terminals from possibly shorting out.
The following 2 users liked this post by Marc780:
dlbuckls10 (05-17-24), Fastnlight (05-17-24)
Old 05-18-24, 09:12 AM
Gerf
Pole Position

Received 857 Likes on 632 Posts

I ditched the centre engine cover because it doesn't have anything to do with airflow except to impede it and the foam padding on the under side of it holds in heat and maybe cuts down on engine noise slightly.
I left the side covers and the strips that attach to the fenders because without them you would risk getting water on and around the many components they cover when at a car wash. The front covers are the only ones that have a purpose imo, directing air up from the grille into the air intake ducts.
When I get around to doing the valley plate seal I will have a close look at the foam pieces in that area because all they can do in that area is reduce some noise and hold in heat baking plastic parts a little quicker.

The following 3 users liked this post by Gerf:
Fastnlight (05-18-24), Logicallychallenged (05-20-24), Nospinzone (05-18-24)
Old 05-18-24, 11:31 AM
Fastnlight
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good looking engine!
Old 05-18-24, 03:11 PM
Nospinzone

Received 427 Likes on 330 Posts

I hate engine covers. I like to see the engine. I've left mine on, but I don't see any harm in removing them.
The following 2 users liked this post by Nospinzone:
Fastnlight (05-18-24), Marc780 (05-19-24)
Old 05-19-24, 03:38 PM
Marc780
Pit Crew

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Gerf
I ditched the centre engine cover because it doesn't have anything to do with airflow except to impede it and the foam padding on the under side of it holds in heat and maybe cuts down on engine noise slightly.
I left the side covers and the strips that attach to the fenders because without them you would risk getting water on and around the many components they cover when at a car wash. The front covers are the only ones that have a purpose imo, directing air up from the grille into the air intake ducts.
When I get around to doing the valley plate seal I will have a close look at the foam pieces in that area because all they can do in that area is reduce some noise and hold in heat baking plastic parts a little quicker.

That's a mighty clean engine you have got there, how often do you do it? I like to keep my engines clean as well, the trick of course is, knowing what you can get water on and what you need to keep dry!
If for no other reason, a clean engine helps you spot leaks and it is just nicer to maintain in general. I can't imagine letting my LS engine get dirty now, I love the car the most of every one I ever owned. I worked for a long time to own a car of this quality and I want her to look it! Besides the obvious thing, it is ever so much easier to keep a clean engine clean, than it is cleaning it after 10 years of accumulated crud (Sometimes I'll even spritz connections w silicone spray, and do other small things like clean/anti-seize on the battery bolts etc. because why not?)
Old 05-20-24, 12:16 PM
dan25man
Intermediate

Received 146 Likes on 102 Posts

I'ma have to have someone explain how foam and plastic covers "hold in heat and bake plastic parts"? Y'all know the coolant/oil temp gets to ~200F ain't no way some foam and plastic hold in more heat from the aluminum block with constant explosions happening inches away from all the injectors/sensors. Thermal convection is a thing, but it's not going to make a difference to engine thermals with the plastics on or not. Making it quiet is part of the Lexus/Luxury car refinement. I mean, to each their own, when I was regularly working on my 460 I had the covers off until I finished all the work, but they live on the car now.
Old 05-20-24, 03:30 PM
THEunderPSI
Driver School Candidate

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

^Correct. Folks are concerned about a piece of plastic holding in heat but have no concern over the hood that's a few inches away when closed. Basically it boils down to the owner if the covers stay or go. But the purpose of the covers is to reduce engine noise. Quiet and smooth ride is what makes these cars so great.
The following 2 users liked this post by THEunderPSI:
Fastnlight (05-21-24), Marc780 (05-27-24)
Old 05-20-24, 03:56 PM
Logicallychallenged
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Looks nice when you can see the mechanical components, that is what we pop the hood for anyway.

Lexus missed the boat on showing off the mechanical bits, as with a bit of design work, it could have looked very professional uncovered.

I don't like taking a redundant hood off anyway. The OEM's could have done the same sound deadening with the technical acoustic parts directly attached to the hood structure.
The following users liked this post:
Fastnlight (05-21-24)
Old 05-20-24, 04:24 PM
Gerf
Pole Position

Received 857 Likes on 632 Posts

Originally Posted by dan25man
I'ma have to have someone explain how foam and plastic covers "hold in heat and bake plastic parts"?
Ok, foam will hold in heat by its insulating properties and I didn't say that plastic covers will. Also I was speaking about the foam in and around the valley plate area and used the phrase (a little quicker) I guess I should've been clearer because I just assumed anyone that read this would know I was speaking about after the car was turned off.
The following 2 users liked this post by Gerf:
dan25man (05-21-24), Marc780 (05-27-24)
Old 05-20-24, 05:05 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,240 Likes on 924 Posts

Unless you are an idiot you can just spray the whole engine bay down with foam etc, I don't have a picture of the LS460s bay foamed down but I spray it every other wash to make sure it remains clean.

I've done it to all my cars so that I know instantly if there are leaks and so that there is no dust, pull the plastic covers off and just stay about 1 foot away from most stuff. Don't go after the fuse boxes or anything like that and it's fine

Best way to avoid heat soak is to just open the hood when you get home, I also have both my Audis sets to after run their main fans and electric cooling pumps so they don't sit hot when I'm out and about.
Old 05-21-24, 05:27 AM
ausLX
Pit Crew

Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts

Ok, foam will hold in heat by its insulating properties and I didn't say that plastic covers will. Also I was speaking about the foam in and around the valley plate area and used the phrase (a little quicker) I guess I should've been clearer because I just assumed anyone that read this would know I was speaking about after the car was turned off.

Not many here are mind readers
Old 05-21-24, 05:40 AM
dan25man
Intermediate

Received 146 Likes on 102 Posts
Thumbs up

You're right, no I forgot about the foam packed in/around the valley plate. That may help reduce the temps for all the injectors and sensors in that area. I think I was projecting on to your statement a bit from other posts I've read where people claim to lower engine temps by removing the vanity covers. I don't care what people do either way. It's probably minimal functional benefit one way or the other. Just something car guys will debate to the end of time... What came first, the chicken or the egg?
Old 05-22-24, 10:11 AM
Protholl
Instructor

Received 192 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223

Unless you are an idiot you can just spray the whole engine bay down with foam etc, I don't have a picture of the LS460s bay foamed down but I spray it every other wash to make sure it remains clean.

I've done it to all my cars so that I know instantly if there are leaks and so that there is no dust, pull the plastic covers off and just stay about 1 foot away from most stuff. Don't go after the fuse boxes or anything like that and it's fine

Best way to avoid heat soak is to just open the hood when you get home, I also have both my Audis sets to after run their main fans and electric cooling pumps so they don't sit hot when I'm out and about.
It isn't a good idea to spray liquids on the alternator on any car. I put a plastic bag over them when doing an engine clean.

Quick Reply: Are engine covers needed?