LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Brake clicking noise = shift lock solenoid?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-24, 08:15 AM
LS2k
Intermediate

Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Brake clicking noise = shift lock solenoid?

Got the clicking noise when pressing the brake pedal. Seems that it could be the shift lock solenoid. I was told that one way to find out is to remove the brake light fuse, test drive and if the clicking noise is gone then it is the solenoid. Was wondering if anyone has any further info on how to resolve this issue?
Old 06-13-24, 10:16 AM
XF40FSPORT
Intermediate

Received 143 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by LS2k
Got the clicking noise when pressing the brake pedal. Seems that it could be the shift lock solenoid. I was told that one way to find out is to remove the brake light fuse, test drive and if the clicking noise is gone then it is the solenoid. Was wondering if anyone has any further info on how to resolve this issue?
Most likely brake actuator going bad. Have you searched the forum?
Old 06-13-24, 10:39 AM
LS2k
Intermediate

Originally Posted by XF40FSPORT
Most likely brake actuator going bad. Have you searched the forum?
ABS was replaced by Lexus recently and clicking noise was there before and after they replaced it. Seems to come from back passenger side and from what i found out, it seems that there is Shift Solenoid that gets activated every time you press the brake pedal. Initially, that Shift Solenoid is meant to ensure that when you start the car, you press the brake before you can shift gear. It could be as simple as the bracket being loose or the solenoid itself. Not sure if my information is correct and was wondering which is the correct "Brake Light" fuse to do the test but don't want to unplug the wrong one like ABS...
The following users liked this post:
XF40FSPORT (06-13-24)
Old 06-13-24, 01:16 PM
BB9
Pit Crew

Received 88 Likes on 62 Posts

I'm having this clicking sound on my 2017 LS 460 since day one. I thought it was bad brake actuator but the actuator was replaced by Lexus some time ago. It was done under the warranty for a different issue and that clicking sound never went away. Might be some relay somewhere. I think this is normal. I think this car is just so quiet in general, makes every little sound very noticeable.
Old 06-13-24, 01:56 PM
Anfanger
Pole Position

Received 893 Likes on 659 Posts

My brake pads click sometimes.
Old 06-13-24, 03:31 PM
dlbuckls10
Racer

Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

I had a similar experience and the independent shop suggested changing the brake fluid. The clicking noise went away.
Old 06-13-24, 04:10 PM
Gerf
Pole Position

Received 857 Likes on 632 Posts

There are people in most of the forums on this site asking the same question, if you don't believe me google " clicking when stepping on the brake clublexus"
When most road and engine noise is taken away or lessened the smaller sounds become more obvious in the cabin, unless it's throwing codes or causing drivability problems....
Old 06-13-24, 05:40 PM
LS2k
Intermediate

Originally Posted by BB9
I'm having this clicking sound on my 2017 LS 460 since day one. I thought it was bad brake actuator but the actuator was replaced by Lexus some time ago. It was done under the warranty for a different issue and that clicking sound never went away. Might be some relay somewhere. I think this is normal. I think this car is just so quiet in general, makes every little sound very noticeable.
Agree and like you, just investigating if this solenoid (I'm not a tech) could be the culprit.
Old 06-13-24, 05:45 PM
LS2k
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Anfanger
My brake pads click sometimes.
Yes, I checked everything, from brake hardware issues to control arms and tied rods, and I recently installed 4 new rotors and brake pads with all the new hardware.
Old 06-13-24, 05:49 PM
LS2k
Intermediate

Originally Posted by dlbuckls10
I had a similar experience and the independent shop suggested changing the brake fluid. The clicking noise went away.
Brake fluid was flushed as part to the ABS replacement done by Lexus. Noise was there before and still there today. I'm not a tech, just wonder if this "shift lock solenoid" can be the root cause?
Old 06-13-24, 05:55 PM
LS2k
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Gerf
There are people in most of the forums on this site asking the same question, if you don't believe me google " clicking when stepping on the brake clublexus"
When most road and engine noise is taken away or lessened the smaller sounds become more obvious in the cabin, unless it's throwing codes or causing drivability problems....
Agree and unlike the fuel pump noise, I'm only trying to figure out if this fix can get rid of this incredibly obnoxious clicking noise.
Old 06-17-24, 07:56 PM
LS460Lex
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Parking break pad adjustment

You need to adjust your parking break if it's in the rear. More often it's driverside but that should do it. Let me know if that works for you. R.A. has them on sale.
Old 06-26-24, 07:16 AM
LS2k
Intermediate

Originally Posted by LS460Lex
You need to adjust your parking break if it's in the rear. More often it's driverside but that should do it. Let me know if that works for you. R.A. has them on sale.
Never heard of this parking break pads -thx! Is there a way to test to see if the clicking noise is coming from those pads?
Old 06-26-24, 07:56 AM
LS460Lex
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LS2k
Never heard of this parking break pads -thx! Is there a way to test to see if the clicking noise is coming from those pads?
Yes here is the adjustment procedure.

Parking brake adjustment.

Please let us all know it worked so others can follow.
Old 06-26-24, 01:55 PM
LS2k
Intermediate

Originally Posted by LS460Lex
Yes here is the adjustment procedure.

Parking brake adjustment.

Please let us all know it worked so others can follow.
I appreciate your insights, but I'm not the type to fiddle with brake settings, let alone parking brake configuration. Does pressing the brake pedal cause the parking brake to engage every time? I'm talking about the clicking sound that occurs each time I depress the brake pedal.

Quick Reply: Brake clicking noise = shift lock solenoid?