LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

2017 LS 460 Midnight Edition (new to me)

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-24 | 06:06 PM
Crankasaur
Rookie

Default 2017 LS 460 Midnight Edition (new to me)

While shopping for an F Sport, I came across a Midnight Edition, 2017 (obviously) with only 17K miles. I was able to see the entire service history from new (on My Lexus) so I jumped on it. I found it at Carmax of all places, I was able to test drive it in an adjacent state, transferred it to my local Carmax and bought it today. I’ll have it inspected at a Lexus dealer. No accidents, or any other concerns save for a few dings on the hood and doors - all of which could be dealt with via paintless dent removal and a good buffing. I was surprised at the price $42K. I thought it should’ve been higher given it’s a very limited edition, an F Sport and having so few miles. I have a feeling that they mispriced it (?) as they’ve made mistakes before. I’ve only driven it twice for less than 15 miles each time but it’s rock solid at 70+ with no steering wheel vibrations whatsoever - under high speed braking too. I’m in love. It’ll be taken on a long weekend drive tomorrow so I’ll report more extensively about how it drives before long. If anyone here owns one (F Sport or midnight) and has advice or other pearls of wisdom I like to hear them. Thanks.
Old 06-27-24 | 07:02 PM
Nyaa
Pit Crew

I would have had it inspected before you bought it, not just after. But that said, 17,000 mi... Wow. I just paid $26k with 72k but no dents or dings of any kind. Just some minor paint imperfections. Also, mine is a 2013. I find it interesting to see the price variance in mileage, year, and condition.

Plan to post any pictures? What color is it?

I guess we are both new F Sport owners. I bought mine a couple weeks ago but it only just arrived the other day. I bought mine from a dealer in California and had it shipped to Wisconsin.

I can't give you any words of wisdom but I can join you in your enthusiasm for the car. I am also loving the ride and handling. I'm coming from a 2007 LS460 L and I can attest that the F Sport is on another level. How it compares to its facelifted cohorts I'm not sure because I've never driven one, just my pre-facelifted L but the difference here is night and day. I am absolutely in love with this car. I did not feel absolutely in love with my 460L in the same way I did with my LS430. I feel that passion again for this car. It's just amazing.

Even though Lexus dropped the ball in the engine department with the F Sport when compared to AMG or M cars, it still differentiates itself substantially from the normal LS460 IMHO. It may not be as fast but it feels damn good to drive and is way more reliable. I'm totally happy.

Last edited by Nyaa; 06-27-24 at 09:13 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Crankasaur (06-27-24)
Old 06-27-24 | 08:30 PM
Cubbylex
Intermediate

Congratulations to both of you on your purchases!

However, in the words of one our Lexus members, “pictures, or it didn’t happen.”

Many happy miles and smiles.
The following 2 users liked this post by Cubbylex:
Crankasaur (06-27-24), THE_CEO (06-28-24)
Old 06-27-24 | 09:18 PM
Crankasaur
Rookie

Default Pics as requested

Oh, it happened!

More pics and comments will follow in the coming weeks.
The following 3 users liked this post by Crankasaur:
Cubbylex (07-27-24), dlbuckls10 (06-28-24), LS460Crown (07-28-24)
Old 06-27-24 | 09:23 PM
Crankasaur
Rookie

Default No garage - need a car cover?

I was lucky to find this car. Other comments: no appreciable curb rash, nice matching Michelins with at least a year of life, … I’m just happy. My big problem, we don’t have a garage and may not be adding one to the house for at least 4-5 years. Can anyone recommend a good, fitted car cover? Covercraft?
Old 06-27-24 | 09:34 PM
Crankasaur
Rookie

Default Bought a warranty too

Thank you to those who’ve responded thus far. All insights appreciated. Forgot to mention I paid a little over $2K for a 60 month/100K mile warranty. This car was barely driven but I know the air suspension has many components that are costly to replace, not to mention everything else on the car.

Last edited by Crankasaur; 06-28-24 at 04:30 AM.
Old 06-28-24 | 04:12 PM
THE_CEO
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Crankasaur
I was lucky to find this car. Other comments: no appreciable curb rash, nice matching Michelins with at least a year of life, … I’m just happy. My big problem, we don’t have a garage and may not be adding one to the house for at least 4-5 years. Can anyone recommend a good, fitted car cover? Covercraft?
Pretty...it looks like my twin...
Crankasaur (07-01-24)
Old 06-29-24 | 01:19 AM
Crankasaur
Rookie

Default Lexus “Pre-Purchase” inspection

The PPI was completed at my local Lexus yesterday. They found literally nothing wrong with the car. Zilch. Zero - except that the tires might need replacing next year. One tech said it looked like it was a 1-2 year-old car, and was clean as a whistle. The same tech confirmed that it has likely neither seen rain nor snow despite being from Pennsylvania - basically a garage queen. The minor scratches and dings will buff out and be removed via paintless dent removal. It performed flawlessly on a two and a half hour drive into the mountains of Virginia, netting 24 mpg at 65-80 mph cruising with the A/C on the entire time. I expect 26-27 mpg on more level hwys but one doesn’t buy an LS for fuel economy. Gorgeous engine note at 60 percent+ throttle openings, secure braking via the huge front Brembos, and the sophisticated suspension lets it handle with a degree of sportiness that belies its 4700 lbs. I don’t mind a 6 second 0-60 time/359 hp when it’s truly a delight to drive at any speed. This is it, the nicest car I have ever owned or will own. Probably my last pure ICE vehicle purchase (hybrid or EV would be next). What a shame Toyota/Lexus couldn’t find a way to keep a NA V8 under the hood of its flagship sedan.
The following 5 users liked this post by Crankasaur:
Dave144239 (07-02-24), dlbuckls10 (07-02-24), fwhomeboy (06-29-24), LS460Crown (07-28-24), Piney1 (07-01-24)
Old 06-29-24 | 05:50 AM
Logicallychallenged
Rookie

@Crankasaur Nice color and overall looking car! Not sure where you are located, or if you have had an LS460 before, but the car will legitimately pull 27 to 28 mpg on highway road trips in comfort.

I bought an LS460L in Virginia recently. Drove it back on HY 50 to Michigan. While a big luxury sedan, it was enjoyable enough to sportingly drive America's first cross country road.

One thing I missed till I got home - after reading the OM - there is a sport mode for even the 2007 car that I did NOT use on my trip through the twisties. Make sure you use that feature if the F sport has adjustments.

Enjoy your drive, take photos and tell us your findings and what roads you took. Virginia and WV are awesome places to drive.
Piney1 (07-01-24)
Old 07-01-24 | 11:57 AM
Piney1
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Logicallychallenged
One thing I missed till I got home - after reading the OM - there is a sport mode for even the 2007 car that I did NOT use on my trip through the twisties. Make sure you use that feature if the F sport has adjustments.
For sure on the sport mode in the mountains. I’m in far SWVA, about 4 bird miles from Tennessee. Driving the F-Sport is fun in the twists - handles great and the.dialed in firm setting is just great to have.
Crankasaur (07-01-24)
Old 07-01-24 | 06:32 PM
Crankasaur
Rookie

Default Round trip to Bayse, VA from MD

26.3 mpg avg on the way back home to Rockville, MD from Bayse, VA - a friend’s “mountain” ski resort cabin. The “mountains” in VA are hills compared to those out west but the twisties and those elevation changes in the foothills once getting off Routes 340 and 81 were quite enjoyable in sport mode in the F Sport. I probably tested the car’s limits too closely as my passenger white knuckled the “grab bar” a time or two as I’m used to driving an Infiniti Q50S Hybrid AWD, a GS 350 AWD and my fun car, an Infiniti G37S Coupe 6MT RWD. Ironically the nicest car in the stable (the LS) is also the “slowest”. While I have no intention of driving the LS like I did on a regular basis, it’s nice to know it can “handle” things when called upon. Per a comment in an earlier reply, I agree that I should be able to get 27-28 mpg on level hwys, but more likely with the AC off in cooler weather than in the summer when AC’s a requirement.
Piney1 (07-02-24)
Old 07-27-24 | 12:41 PM
Crankasaur
Rookie

UPDATE:
I’ve owned my 2017 LS 460 F Sport (Midnight) for almost a month now. Due to several trips to Connecticut and back (to Maryland), I’ve put almost 3000 miles on the car in that time (just over 20K miles now). A few observations… I’ve found it nearly impossible to average over 26 mph on the Hwy at 65-70 mph when the A/C is in constant use. I have averaged 27-28 mpg hwy (as one poster suggested) only when the A/C isn’t being used and I keep the speed to 70mph or less. My best was a 25 mile stint at 30.1 mpg. That said, I didn’t buy the car for fuel economy. I’m still learning all of the car’s features and am STILL trying to find an optimal seating position - not that the seats are in any way uncomfortable. It’s just that after long stints I find I need to vary the lumbar pressure, the back angle, distance to the pedals and various other adjustments as the hours tick by. I actually like the abrupt braking tip-in as it allows for much quicker responding brakes than having to mash the pedal down. I’ve learned to be very gentle on initial brake pressure so there’s no “head-jerking” as others have reported on their F Sports. I’ve been enjoying how distinct the different modes are regarding transmission shifting, rpm’s, suspension firmness and steering. I LOVE the self-closing door assist feature. Neither I, nor anyone else I imagine, uses the nav system (who DOESN’T use Waze or Google maps in their phone?) so I’m trying to figure out how to change the default screen to show mileage and either a/c or music. On a different note, I just installed Weathertech all-weather mats in Cocoa (instead of black) and they look GREAT in that color with my saddle & tan interior. That said, the driver’s mat curls away from the door sill, allowing dirt to enter at perhaps the worst possible place. A CSR suggested I invert the mat overnight while weighting down the curled section. This temporarily improved the curl but it returned within an hour. I advised the same CSR the next day and he’s sending me a NEW driver’s mat that’ll hopefully be better. I use a Costco-bought sun shade for the windshield. The only other thing/ I’m thinking about adding in the future is a Tom’s exhaust system for a few extra HP and a more aggressive sound if they’re still available.

Last edited by Crankasaur; 07-27-24 at 03:45 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Crankasaur:
dlbuckls10 (07-27-24), THE_CEO (07-27-24)
Old 07-28-24 | 07:52 PM
rehr0001
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Crankasaur
UPDATE:
I’ve owned my 2017 LS 460 F Sport (Midnight) for almost a month now. Due to several trips to Connecticut and back (to Maryland), I’ve put almost 3000 miles on the car in that time (just over 20K miles now). A few observations… I’ve found it nearly impossible to average over 26 mph on the Hwy at 65-70 mph when the A/C is in constant use. I have averaged 27-28 mpg hwy (as one poster suggested) only when the A/C isn’t being used and I keep the speed to 70mph or less. My best was a 25 mile stint at 30.1 mpg. That said, I didn’t buy the car for fuel economy. I’m still learning all of the car’s features and am STILL trying to find an optimal seating position - not that the seats are in any way uncomfortable. It’s just that after long stints I find I need to vary the lumbar pressure, the back angle, distance to the pedals and various other adjustments as the hours tick by. I actually like the abrupt braking tip-in as it allows for much quicker responding brakes than having to mash the pedal down. I’ve learned to be very gentle on initial brake pressure so there’s no “head-jerking” as others have reported on their F Sports. I’ve been enjoying how distinct the different modes are regarding transmission shifting, rpm’s, suspension firmness and steering. I LOVE the self-closing door assist feature. Neither I, nor anyone else I imagine, uses the nav system (who DOESN’T use Waze or Google maps in their phone?) so I’m trying to figure out how to change the default screen to show mileage and either a/c or music. On a different note, I just installed Weathertech all-weather mats in Cocoa (instead of black) and they look GREAT in that color with my saddle & tan interior. That said, the driver’s mat curls away from the door sill, allowing dirt to enter at perhaps the worst possible place. A CSR suggested I invert the mat overnight while weighting down the curled section. This temporarily improved the curl but it returned within an hour. I advised the same CSR the next day and he’s sending me a NEW driver’s mat that’ll hopefully be better. I use a Costco-bought sun shade for the windshield. The only other thing/ I’m thinking about adding in the future is a Tom’s exhaust system for a few extra HP and a more aggressive sound if they’re still available.
Throw a Beatsonic or Grom unit in there for CarPlay/Android Auto and you’re completely set.
Crankasaur (07-28-24)
Old 07-28-24 | 08:30 PM
Crankasaur
Rookie

Default Car Play/Android for LS 460

Ya know, adding Car Play (for my I Phone) is a great idea. Thanks for that. However, I bought my car with a 5 yr/100K mile comprehensive warranty ($2400) and I don’t want to jeopardize it with a non-stock electronics mod. It’s unlikely I’ll surpass 100,000 miles (I just crossed 20,000) in five years so the soonest I’ll be able to add Car Play is July 2029, after which, my car will be “complete”.
Piney1 (07-28-24)
Old 07-29-24 | 05:27 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

I get between 28 and 30 mpg at 80-85 on I81 from Roanoke VA to Harrisburg PA (computer readout, not calculated). I've gone up there regularly every 3-4 months for the past 7 years and the mileage is spot on in each direction.

Quick Reply: 2017 LS 460 Midnight Edition (new to me)