LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

$450 for a transmission service is way too high, right?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-24, 07:21 AM
Nyaa
Pit Crew

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts
Default $450 for a transmission service is way too high, right?

So I set up an appointment tomorrow with my mechanic to have a transmission service done since I am at 72,000 mi and I believe it has not been done yet. I wanted to get on top of that to make it a regular part of the car's maintenance.

Then I figured I would check with the dealer as I started getting cold feet because I read using Tech Stream is an important part of the process and I'm not sure if my mechanic has it. Actually, I'm pretty sure he doesn't.

The Lexus dealer just quoted me over $450. That sounds astronomically high for what they are doing. Do you think it is safe to let a reputable shop service the transmission or would you only trust the dealer?
Old 07-01-24, 07:33 AM
DJWLDW
Pole Position

Received 454 Likes on 338 Posts

Nyaa

I am at 111,xxx miles and have never had the transmission serviced on my 2010 LS460L. I am at 70,611 on my 2006 SC 430 and have never had the transmission serviced. If that helps.

Dennis
The following users liked this post:
Bungert (07-02-24)
Old 07-01-24, 07:33 AM
JRA2000TL
Intermediate

Received 87 Likes on 57 Posts

I had mine done at the dealer and it was around $400-450, only because it was in there for the valley plate re-seal. I will take it to Toyota next time; they're around half that. I'd ask a transmission shop if they'd do it. I know one here will--at least on my ES they did.
Nyaa (07-01-24)
Old 07-01-24, 07:35 AM
Boykie
Instructor

Received 584 Likes on 414 Posts

Using techstream for trans refill is essential.
The following 2 users liked this post by Boykie:
JRA2000TL (07-03-24), Nyaa (07-01-24)
Old 07-01-24, 08:43 AM
JohnnyC407
Pit Crew

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Nyaa
So I set up an appointment tomorrow with my mechanic to have a transmission service done since I am at 72,000 mi and I believe it has not been done yet. I wanted to get on top of that to make it a regular part of the car's maintenance.

Then I figured I would check with the dealer as I started getting cold feet because I read using Tech Stream is an important part of the process and I'm not sure if my mechanic has it. Actually, I'm pretty sure he doesn't.

The Lexus dealer just quoted me over $450. That sounds astronomically high for what they are doing. Do you think it is safe to let a reputable shop service the transmission or would you only trust the dealer?
That's a good quote. The oil itself is $200+. Your mechanic has Techstream or something similar so don't worry about that. I'd go to the dealer if they are a good one, which they probably are. (Except for that one I know of in Baton Rouge, you suck) It's oil so you absolutely need to get it done at some point, all oil breaks down.
Nyaa (07-01-24)
Old 07-01-24, 09:52 AM
Nyaa
Pit Crew

Okay, I don't want to cheap out on this and I want it done right, I just thought that sounded a bit high. Probably because I was looking at really old threads and I guess prices have gone up a lot since then.

I ended up calling a Toyota dealership that is a bit closer to me. They said they can do it for $310.

They said they hook it up to a machine and flush the coolant out as well as pump a cleaner through the system. They said they do use Tech Stream for the process.

They don't put a new transmission filter in though. I guess that must require dropping the pan? They said they only replace that of something is wrong and they suspected is clogged. Isn't that something that should be done eventually as well?

I have an appointment with them Friday morning.

I'm thinking I might have them do my differential fluid as well. I talked to the Lexus dealer and they told me for some reason they didn't see any differential fluid in the parts list during the 60K service on this car so they suspect it was not performed for some reason.

I might just let my local mechanic do that though. He is inspecting the car next week anyway.

Originally Posted by DJWLDW
Nyaa

I am at 111,xxx miles and have never had the transmission serviced on my 2010 LS460L. I am at 70,611 on my 2006 SC 430 and have never had the transmission serviced. If that helps.

Dennis
Is that by happenstance or choice?

Last edited by Nyaa; 07-01-24 at 10:19 AM.
Old 07-01-24, 10:45 AM
Boykie
Instructor

Don't worry about trans filter, it's more of a strainer, never seen one really clogged. As long as dealer doesn't d*ck out or something they should do all procedures by the book and use original fluids.
Rear diff fluid (LX type!) is up to you, I think no harm in replacing in.
Nyaa (07-02-24)
Old 07-01-24, 10:53 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,830 Likes on 2,392 Posts

Originally Posted by Boykie
Don't worry about trans filter, it's more of a strainer, never seen one really clogged.
Filter looks like this not a fine steel mesh it has filter media

Old 07-01-24, 11:24 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,197 Likes on 890 Posts

Originally Posted by Boykie
Don't worry about trans filter, it's more of a strainer, never seen one really clogged. As long as dealer doesn't d*ck out or something they should do all procedures by the book and use original fluids.
Rear diff fluid (LX type!) is up to you, I think no harm in replacing in.
US market cars have a fleece filter you need to change....

Price seems reasonable if they are using a synthetic fluid and dropping the pan and replacing the filter and cleaning everything out. I would never do fluid without cleaning everything and replacing the filter btw. I don't like the factory WS fluid as it's non-synthetic, TLS-LV is a far better option and is formulated exactly for WS applications but it can be very expensive and you should do 3 drain and fills to get most of the old fluid removed.
The following 3 users liked this post by Striker223:
Boykie (07-01-24), Nyaa (07-02-24), texas008 (07-02-24)
Old 07-01-24, 12:00 PM
Boykie
Instructor

Yea, forgot that again, duh...
Old 07-01-24, 01:39 PM
Gerf
Pole Position

Received 792 Likes on 588 Posts

Toyota has been using WS fluid for over 20 yrs, I think it's safe to use and less expensive than the synthetics. I would avoid having the fluid changed with the machine method and find some person or shop that can do 3 drain n fills with a filter change in that sequence somewhere.
The machine flush was fine for vehicles with a dipstick and without set temperatures for checking fluid levels but that's pretty much gone now. You don't need techstream to do a drain n fill either you can use the jumper pin/shifter method to let you know when to check the level which is good because the ATF temp on techstream isn't really a linear reading and after 95 deg it can change pretty fast so I prefer the dummy light.
Any mechanic can change your diff fluid, don't pay a dealer for that.
The following 2 users liked this post by Gerf:
JRA2000TL (07-03-24), Nyaa (07-02-24)
Old 07-02-24, 04:53 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,274 Likes on 984 Posts

While price does matter, getting the service done properly is more important. Done wrong, shifting issues are common. Worst case bits of old get broken loose and clog valve ports. Both scenarios will cause you to spend more money to correct. This is why it’s debated about if and how fluid change should be done. With your mileage, I believe you don’t need it or do the 3 times drain and fill. Temperature needs to be precise to avoid over or under filling.
The following 3 users liked this post by swfla:
Boykie (07-02-24), Nyaa (07-02-24), tomgarv (07-08-24)
Old 07-02-24, 06:42 AM
DJWLDW
Pole Position

Received 454 Likes on 338 Posts

Nyaa

It's by choice. I would bet if you do a flush you will have nothing but problems from here on out. If you are going to change your transmission fluid then I highly recommend swfla's advice. Drop the pan change the filter refill with fluid a couple of times and call it good. A flush will just knock all kinds of stuff free and come back and bite you in the A**. Where in your LS warranty and service guide (90months/75K) does it say flush transmission fluid out and replace? Don't over think this.

Dennis
Nyaa (07-02-24)
Old 07-02-24, 07:07 PM
Nyaa
Pit Crew

Thanks for the advice everyone.

The reason I was going to with the flush was because I was just going to defer to Toyota/Lexus on what to do because after watching so many videos and reading so many thread posts my head hurts. There are just so many conflicting opinions on this. That said, I was actually feeling uncomfortable doing a flush. I called the dealer again today to talk to them and just have them do a drain and fill instead.

Turns out, the lady I talked to on the phone was incorrect about what was involved anyway. They do not do a flush on this car. It was a drain and fill all along. However, they do not drop the pan to change the filter. They said they can but they didn't really advice it. Whether or not you change the filter seems to be contested as well. Sigh.

Old 07-02-24, 09:00 PM
Gerf
Pole Position

Received 792 Likes on 588 Posts

Originally Posted by Nyaa
There are just so many conflicting opinions on this.
It wouldn't hurt to just put it off for awhile and just get used to the car and how it drives etc, having anyone dealer or independent shop only do one drain n fill is kind of a waste of time anyway especially if they are planning to charge $310 for the one. Just another opinion...

Quick Reply: $450 for a transmission service is way too high, right?