LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Broken Rear Wheel Stud replacement DIY?

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday, 11:53 AM
Phenomenon101
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Broken Rear Wheel Stud replacement DIY?

2008 LS460

I recently had my tires replaced and they broke a wheel stud saying it was probably seized.

The difficult thing is this was the drivers side REAR wheel. I took the tire off and am I right that this is not as simple as replacing a wheel stud in the front wheels? I also looked at AllData and I could be wrong, but its talking about a lot more steps than just taking off the caliper and then pulling the rotor off. Am I overthinking it because when I took off the caliper, the rotor did not simply want to come off.
Old Yesterday, 04:16 PM
Boykie
Instructor

Received 581 Likes on 411 Posts

You have to release your parking brake first, making sure wheels are CHOKED! Then rotor will come off (hopefully). You will have to check your pb spreader thingie adjustment if pb is too weak/strong, that is done with rotor on (plus two nuts to hold it straight) then you open up a rubber plug in the rotor, and find the spreader thingie from there (takes a long flat head to adjust). Hopefully your pb is well adjusted and you won't need to do that.
Otherwise when you're there, push out the remains, put in new bolt, then using a nut and some spacers seat it in.
Old Yesterday, 04:35 PM
Gerf
Racer

Received 788 Likes on 587 Posts

Put the rear of the car on jackstands, front wheels chocked then remove the wheel/caliper and hang it off somewhere on the shock or wherever and if it turns easy try putting a 2x4 or 4x4 on the face of the rotor and give it a couple smacks with the biggest hammer you have...still tight you might have to go in the trunk and remove your spare tire and find the Phillips screw and turn it counter clockwise to loosen up the e-brake.
Make sure the e-brake is off to begin with. When you get the rotor off and the stud is broken off fairly square smack it with that same hammer to knock it out, clean the grooves in the hub stud hole and maybe give it a light coat of oil. Start the stud in the hole and make sure the splines on the stud are in the grooves on the hub...you will need either 2 large nuts to fit over the end of the 14mm stud with sufficient clearance for the stud or a 3/4" drive socket plus a suitable washer to go on last. An open ended lug nut works best for this just put it on last and start tightening the nut carefully with a bar between 2 of the other studs to hold the hub. Use a large ratchet or breaker bar to tighten the nut. Or you could take it to a shop.
Old Yesterday, 04:37 PM
Gerf
Racer

haha effin Boykie l beat me to it.
Old Yesterday, 04:44 PM
Boykie
Instructor

Received 581 Likes on 411 Posts

Who's the Microphone Assassin?!
Old Yesterday, 05:31 PM
Gerf
Racer

Originally Posted by Boykie
Who's the Microphone Assassin?!

He spins more rhymes than a lazy susan.......

The following users liked this post:
Boykie (Yesterday)