LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Older LS's are looking really affordable!

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-24, 08:52 PM
DerrickM
Advanced

Received 131 Likes on 111 Posts
Default Older LS's are looking really affordable!

I'm looking for a family car that my teenagers would drive, and I'm seeing old Camry's and Accords for $8k or more for pretty basic models. But I'm also seeing some really nice LSs for $5-10k. Would it be crazy to buy, say, an LS 430 for this purpose?

I test drove one today, 2003 LS 430, and it was very nice; but needs lots of little things (blown subwoofer, window tint failed, warning lights on dash, etc.). I was interested up until I found it had been in a wreck or two.

Am I crazy? It seems like I'd be better picking up an old LS for $6-8k and fixing a few items rather than spending the same money on a lessor car.
Old 07-12-24, 11:19 PM
FlexnLexus
Intermediate

Received 142 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by DerrickM
I'm looking for a family car that my teenagers would drive, and I'm seeing old Camry's and Accords for $8k or more for pretty basic models. But I'm also seeing some really nice LSs for $5-10k. Would it be crazy to buy, say, an LS 430 for this purpose?

I test drove one today, 2003 LS 430, and it was very nice; but needs lots of little things (blown subwoofer, window tint failed, warning lights on dash, etc.). I was interested up until I found it had been in a wreck or two.

Am I crazy? It seems like I'd be better picking up an old LS for $6-8k and fixing a few items rather than spending the same money on a lessor car.

First of all, where do you live? As location can play a major role in pricing and demand.

From the looks of things, especially where I live, prices for all used cars in good shape with low miles are still very expensive, including low mile LS 460’s and especially LS 430 which are more desirable and better built. I own both models and the 430 just feels more solid not to mention how buttery smooth and quiet that engine is. But the 460 is a rocket ship that easily smokes for the 430 in performance, the passing power is incredible to say the least.

I would never buy a busted LS or one that has any problems whatsoever, because usually once something goes wrong, it can get very expensive really fast.

I’m always a bit skeptical when I see a cheap $5k LS 460, low mileage or not, good clean ones never sell for that low of a price unless somebody really doesn’t care how much they want for it.

You might have to bump up your budget to $8-15k for a nice one, even today. Prices for these cars aren’t going down from what I can tell, if anything prices are staying elevated.

I remember my ex girlfriend bought an 09 ES350 with only 86k miles on it for close to $9k out the door just 2 1/2 years ago from a Toyo dealership. That same car, but now with 120k miles, dealers are now asking like $12k!

So I don’t know what’s going in the used car market but prices are still too damn expensive.

IMO, the LS 460 continues to be the best used car to buy if someone is looking for a really comfortable, powerful, reliable, V8 powered luxury ride.

I rarely see LS 460’s on the roads in SoCal for whatever reasons. I see tons of RX350’s and ES350’s everywhere on a daily basis. I honestly can’t remember the last time I actually saw one, but then again, I don’t like to drive what everybody else drives and only accept a V8 under the hood of my cars.
Old 07-12-24, 11:31 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,223 Likes on 909 Posts

LSs get really expensive really fast......all repairs are 3-4x as much as a basic car.
The following users liked this post:
dan25man (07-14-24)
Old 07-13-24, 08:35 AM
DerrickM
Advanced

Originally Posted by FlexnLexus
First of all, where do you live? As location can play a major role in pricing and demand.

IMO, the LS 460 continues to be the best used car to buy if someone is looking for a really comfortable, powerful, reliable, V8 powered luxury ride.
I'm in Boise, but I see a lot of LS's for sale in the Salt Lake City area--four hours away.

I do have a 2015 LS myself, which is why I love 'em.

I'm looking at replacing a $7k SUV that my kids drive, and I started thinking maybe one of these 20 year old LS's would be a better investment than somebody's over priced high mileage camry.
Old 07-13-24, 12:51 PM
FlexnLexus
Intermediate

Received 142 Likes on 90 Posts

I'm in Boise, but I see a lot of LS's for sale in the Salt Lake City area--four hours away.

I do have a 2015 LS myself, which is why I love 'em.

I'm looking at replacing a $7k SUV that my kids drive, and I started thinking maybe one of these 20 year old LS's would be a better investment than somebody's over priced high mileage camry.

Definitely a better investment for sure. Not to mention the LS is a much safer car to drive than any Camry for your kids in case they ever get into an accident.

But then again, it also comes down to future repair and maintenance cost. A used Camry has way less things to go wrong and will ultimately be more affordable for your kids to own and drive in the long run.

I daily my 07 LS 460L, it has been an awesome car. Nothing has gone wrong with it (knock on wood) in the 3 years that have owned it.

I recently had the transmission service done which replaced the filter and gasket with OEM parts that I bought from Bell Lexus. I had the brake master cylinder flushed out, including new brake pad/rotors. Had the spark plugs replaced, coolant system was flushed out, all within the last year.

Oil was changed less than a month ago, which I do myself. The engine does burn oil, so I am constantly keeping an eye on the oil level and do have to add some oil between oil changes.

Overall at 158k miles, the car still runs fantastic, has tons of power and doesn’t leak a drop of anything. I also drive my 05 LS 430 on the weekends, I can’t say enough positive things about these cars, they are that good. Just find the best one you can afford, and don’t cheap out!

The following 2 users liked this post by FlexnLexus:
Logicallychallenged (07-16-24), Marc780 (07-23-24)
Old 07-13-24, 02:08 PM
LS430Lexus
Advanced

Received 80 Likes on 57 Posts

Kids, particularly new teenage drivers should learn to crawl before they walk and eventually run. That said, I love my '06 LS430 and new to me '16 LS460 but I would not buy one for my kids to drive around in. When my kids were that age, I got them an '05 Camry LE and upgraded the radio with the latest tech for safety. It was simpler and far less expensive to operate, maintain and insure. They need to learn how to maintain and take care of an automobile in addition for paying for a portion of the gas (regular rather than premium) and upkeep. It was easier for them to find places and parts to service the car. Granted, the LS may be more of a tank but after almost 8 years and about 80k miles, the Camry protected the driver when involved in an accident that resulted in the car being totaled.

In order for them to appreciate the smooth quality, luxury interior and V8 power, they need to start with something a little more pedestrian. Better to leave them with something to aspire to. I know you're trying to be a good father but an Camry, Accord, Subaru or the like may be a better overall choice. Best of luck to you.
The following 2 users liked this post by LS430Lexus:
Marc780 (07-23-24), NiceLS460 (07-22-24)
Old 07-13-24, 02:24 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,223 Likes on 909 Posts

Eh, I started with a nice car. There is always something better to aspire to IMO, that shouldn't be a factor
Old 07-13-24, 03:25 PM
Bovineplan
Pit Crew

Received 57 Likes on 33 Posts

We had older Lexus for our kids first cars. A 2004 GX470 and a 2004 LS430. Amazing first cars for the kids. Very reliable and built like tanks. Easy to work on. Gas mileage leaves something to be desired. Both were totalled.

LS460/600 certainly a notch lower in reliability and a bit more expensive to work on. In addition, much quicker cars. Bit better gas mileage.

If i were picking, id pick the earlier GX470 or LS430.

Old 07-14-24, 06:52 AM
dan25man
Intermediate

Received 145 Likes on 101 Posts

To answer your first question, yes you are crazy... but we are all a little, that's why we're all here.
Old 07-14-24, 09:30 PM
DerrickM
Advanced

Thank you everybody. So far the few LS owners I've contacted haven't replied, or they said to call some phone number because somebody else is selling the car.

I will keep looking, but we've currently got a lead on a '14 ES hybrid. If that looks promising you'll probably see me asking for advice over on the ES forum next...
Old 07-15-24, 01:15 AM
Protholl
Instructor

Received 186 Likes on 155 Posts

or they said to call some phone number because somebody else is selling the car.
That's a scam if I've ever seen one. Run.
The following users liked this post:
Marc780 (07-16-24)
Old 07-15-24, 10:04 PM
DerrickM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Protholl
That's a scam if I've ever seen one. Run.
Well, it hasn't gotten any better. Everybody that I've contacted on CL or FB has not gotten back to me. I guess there's a reason people go to car lots even though it costs more.
Old 07-16-24, 03:06 AM
Nyaa
Pit Crew

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

I drove my 2004 LS430 for probably around four years and it never broke down, and I never really had to do any repairs. It did have a bad wheel bearing when I bought it, so I had to fix that. I was able to do that myself. I also had to put brakes on somewhere along the line, but that is expected as a wear item.

My subwoofer was blown as well, but I just put a big subwoofer in the trunk. It also had a water leak that I kept trying to patch. It would hold for a while but then start leaking again. Eventually, my entire screen stopped working and I was unable to control the climate or anything. Even putting in a known working head unit didn't fix it. I never got around to diagnosing it because I bought an LS 460.

But I would say at 430 is a mechanically solid car. Things will go wrong. They can be expensive if you take it to the shop but according to the Care Care Nut, the 430 is fairly DIY friendly. You can also get a lot of used parts cheap on eBay.

Just be careful with air ride. Many people recommend against it. I'm personally a fan of it. But if it goes, it is expensive to replace or rebuild. My 430 has over 220,000 mi and the air ride was still working. If I recall correctly, one does have a minor leak but still seems to hold fine.

Also, remember, these have timing belts. You have to change it every hundred thousand. Make sure if you buy one it has had that job done and if it is approaching the mark of needing it, prepare to spend well over a thousand to have it replaced right away.
Old 07-21-24, 01:27 PM
DerrickM
Advanced

Look at this 2001 LS430 I found for sale. Looks brand new. Beautiful car!

https://boise.craigslist.org/cto/d/b...763076334.html

Archived here in case the listing is removed: https://archive.ph/BPszC

Old 07-21-24, 07:59 PM
Nospinzone

Received 423 Likes on 326 Posts

See if you can get a qualified mechanic to do a PPI. I have no idea if that is a good price, but if it isn't, everything is negotiable. A good PPi can give you leverage if anything needs to be fixed.