LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Car Starts Itself Immediately After I shut It Off

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-24, 05:07 PM
JohnC94
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 17 LS 460, Car Starts Itself Immediately After I shut It Off

Hi everyone!

This happened last week at a gas station but I thought I had just accidentally double clicked the push start button.

Today it happened again and I was watching it as it happened, as title states, immediately after I shut the car off, it starts itself back, as if someone pushed the start button. Anyone else experienced this? I did get new a battery last month, is it the possible cause?

Tried to Google this but couldn’t come up with relevant info, maybe I used wrong key words.

Thanks!

Last edited by JohnC94; 07-19-24 at 07:13 PM. Reason: More Info
Old 07-19-24, 06:59 PM
jmcraney

Received 270 Likes on 205 Posts

I have followed this forum closely for more than 15 years and I don’t recall any reports like what you have described. Please tell us about your car: year and model. Are you holding the START button to turn the engine off or just touching and releasing it? Do you kill the engine from PARK? Are you depressing the brake pedal when this odd behavior occurs? Is this car equipped with remote start? How long have you owned this vehicle? More details would be helpful.

Last edited by jmcraney; 07-19-24 at 07:04 PM.
Old 07-19-24, 07:03 PM
Anfanger
Pole Position

Received 883 Likes on 653 Posts

I would check the car for errors with a proper tool. I would guess there is something wrong with the push start button module.
Old 07-19-24, 07:34 PM
JohnC94
Rookie

Originally Posted by jmcraney
I have followed this forum closely for more than 15 years and I don’t recall any reports like what you have described. Please tell us about your car: year and model. Are you holding the START button to turn the engine off or just touching and releasing it? Do you kill the engine from PARK? Are you depressing the brake pedal when this odd behavior occurs? Is this car equipped with remote start? How long have you owned this vehicle? More details would be helpful.
2017 LS 460;
Did kill the engine from Park;
Depressing the brake pedal when this occurred;
Not sure if mine is equipped with remote start or any LS 460s?
Owned for 2 years, never happened before.

Now about holding vs touching and releasing, for starting I like to hold for a half second, this is a habit I carried over from the old days before push start function was more common, for killing the engine I hold for 1/4 of a second, but I do know that most people just go by press and release…judging from hundred of car review videos I watched on YouTube…

I have been running errands since, started and stopped engine 3 times with the press and release method and the problem hasn’t occurred. Maybe I was holding for too long and it somehow registered as I was trying to start the car again? But that’s what I have always done, why now?

I will report back in a few days with more sample.

thank you!
Old 07-19-24, 07:35 PM
JohnC94
Rookie

Originally Posted by Anfanger
I would check the car for errors with a proper tool. I would guess there is something wrong with the push start button module.
If problem keeps coming back this is definitely the way to go, for now I’ll switch to press and release and see what happens…

thanks!
Old 07-19-24, 07:52 PM
JohnC94
Rookie

Just talked to my girl friend when I got home… she said, to prevent this from happening, why don’t you just go to “Park” then push the button to kill the engine without foot on the brake?

I was like OMG… yeah you’re right! My method of killing the engine has always been: come to a complete stop by depress braking, shift to Park, then push the stop button. By releasing the foot on brake AFTER shifting to Park, then push the stop button, the car is almost impossible to start since the brake is not depressed?
The following users liked this post:
Gerf (Yesterday)
Old 07-19-24, 09:25 PM
Marc780
Pit Crew

Received 57 Likes on 43 Posts

In that case, not sure how many people going to like my shut-off procedure.
1. Foot on brake
2. Put shifter in Neutral
3. Engage parking brake.
4. Take foot off brake.
5. Only after all that put shifter in "P".

This elaborate series of steps eliminates any tendency for the car to roll backwards or forwards, after the lever has been put in "P".
Doing this takes all stress from the parking pawl inside the transmission. And puts the weight of the car on the parking brake where it belongs.

Last edited by Marc780; 07-19-24 at 10:33 PM.
The following users liked this post:
jdanielca (Today)
Old Yesterday, 03:22 PM
Gerf
Pole Position

Received 797 Likes on 591 Posts

Originally Posted by Marc780
In that case, not sure how many people going to like my shut-off procedure.

Old Today, 08:57 AM
jdanielca
Pole Position

Received 212 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnC94
Just talked to my girl friend when I got home… she said, to prevent this from happening, why don’t you just go to “Park” then push the button to kill the engine without foot on the brake?

I was like OMG… yeah you’re right! My method of killing the engine has always been: come to a complete stop by depress braking, shift to Park, then push the stop button. By releasing the foot on brake AFTER shifting to Park, then push the stop button, the car is almost impossible to start since the brake is not depressed?
glad you figured it out when you press the brake and press the button it’s to start the car not turn it off. I always have auto parking brake on, move it into park. Brakes not held.. press the button.