LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

LS600h L AWD coilover options (2024)?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-24, 12:17 PM
cqhall
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default LS600h L AWD coilover options (2024)?

Hi, all.

Situation:

I just picked up a 2008 LS600h L and the suspension is a mess. Looking for options.

Previous owner had front OEM bags replaced with cheap struts (I think Monroe "Quick Strut"). Rear bags are OEM. Rides like poop.

What I want:

I want like a 1-finger gap. Not slammed. Not tucked. Just sporty. This will be a daily, roadtrip, family car. Not a show piece.

I'd like to go to a quality coilover kit. And if that's not available, I guess go back to stock with a lowering module or links (I don't know what's out there). The only reason that I mention going back to stock is because there seems to be a lot of coilover kits for RWD LS600 but not AWD LS600 (something about the top hat mounts being different).

I really don't have any need for raising/lowering back and forth. 1-finger gap is high enough for everywhere that I travel.

What I don't want:

Aftermarket air bag solution with tank and all of that. The trunk space is limited as it is with the hybrid battery taking up a lot of it.

Cheaply-made coilovers that feel terrible. There seem to be a lot of them out there these days.
Old Yesterday, 05:51 AM
Protholl
Instructor

Received 183 Likes on 153 Posts

Try putting that information while looking at a fortune auto configuration. I bought a set for my IS250 and have been very happy with the purchase.

https://fortune-auto.com/coilovers/500series/

The following users liked this post:
cqhall (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 05:56 AM
cqhall
Rookie

Originally Posted by Protholl
Try putting that information while looking at a fortune auto configuration. I bought a set for my IS250 and have been very happy with the purchase.

Thanks. I'll give that a shot.

Since I made this post, I see that Ceika offers a set. I'm doing some hunting for info about that brand as well.

https://ceika-store.com/products/cei...f40_awd_-07-17
Old Yesterday, 06:32 AM
cqhall
Rookie

I emailed Fortune Auto sales and they replied that they don't offer anything for this car.
Old Yesterday, 09:27 AM
Gerf
Pole Position

Received 814 Likes on 604 Posts

Originally Posted by cqhall
I want like a 1-finger gap. Not slammed. Not tucked. Just sporty. This will be a daily, roadtrip, family car. Not a show piece.
A one finger gap will be hitting just behind the o2 sensors on the midpipes every speed bump you go over with just you in the car on a model with airsus in sport+ mode, I'm pretty sure with coilovers that low it will be a very firm ride. It will also not look right imo without a different offset or wheel spacers because the wheels are tucked so far back in the wheel wells.

For me that car would have be perfect in every other way to replace 4 air struts and add a lowering module, I would go with coilovers with reasonable spring rates (progressive) if you can...then find the sweet spot for the height.
This is 2 fingers on original air suspension and any lower and the exhaust scrapes over high spots...gnome sane?

The following 2 users liked this post by Gerf:
cqhall (Yesterday), Striker223 (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 09:32 AM
cqhall
Rookie

Originally Posted by Gerf
A one finger gap will be hitting just behind the o2 sensors on the midpipes every speed bump you go over with just you in the car on a model with airsus in sport+ mode, I'm pretty sure with coilovers that low it will be a very firm ride. It will also not look right imo without a different offset or wheel spacers because the wheels are tucked so far back in the wheel wells.

For me that car would have be perfect in every other way to replace 4 air struts and add a lowering module, I would go with coilovers with reasonable spring rates (progressive) if you can...then find the sweet spot for the height.
This is 2 fingers on original air suspension and any lower and the exhaust scrapes over high spots...gnome sane?

I appreciate the wisdom.

Dealership wants $2,300 per corner. I can probably get some off of that by asking. Arnott only offers rears.

I’m strongly considering going that route especially if a quality coilover set is not available. Emphasis on “quality”.

If I gotta pay, I gotta pay.
Old Yesterday, 12:06 PM
Bovineplan
Pit Crew

Received 55 Likes on 33 Posts

I appreciate the wisdom.

Dealership wants $2,300 per corner. I can probably get some off of that by asking. Arnott only offers rears.

I’m strongly considering going that route especially if a quality coilover set is not available. Emphasis on “quality”.

Dont go Arnott. Go overseas (online) and order from Japan or the middle east. If you cant do the work, find a good indy and ask for labor rates. Rears are easy. Maybe 30 minutes a side. Fronts require a bit more disassembly. If you DIY, a few hours all in plis an alignment. If you pay for labor, really look at what gets removed for the fronts and consider replacing those parts also to avoid redoing it when they fail.

Last ones i ordered from the middle east were ~$900 shipped if i recall.
cqhall (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 12:24 PM
cqhall
Rookie

Originally Posted by Bovineplan
Dont go Arnott. Go overseas (online) and order from Japan or the middle east. If you cant do the work, find a good indy and ask for labor rates. Rears are easy. Maybe 30 minutes a side. Fronts require a bit more disassembly. If you DIY, a few hours all in plis an alignment. If you pay for labor, really look at what gets removed for the fronts and consider replacing those parts also to avoid redoing it when they fail.

I'm guessing that's what LexusPartsNow does. They have them for $1,700/corner and their warranty is their warranty, not Lexus USA. So, it's "grey market".

I think I can handle the job myself. I convered a Mercedes from air to coilovers in my garage a couple of years ago. I also have a great shop as my regular mechanic and they specialize in Japanese cars/trucks. My buddy there is pushing hard for coilovers if I can find them. He'd put me on quality coilovers even if OEM air was the same price 😂. The hard part is finding a set of coilovers for the LS600 with AWD. Something about the AWD that is different up front (the connections on the bottom or something, he said).

I do appreciate a good suspension and really hate a bad/cheap suspension. So, I'm trying to avoid getting a cheap setup simply because it fits. I wish Bilstein or someone at that level made some for this car.
Old Yesterday, 12:40 PM
cqhall
Rookie

Originally Posted by Bovineplan
Dont go Arnott.
What's are people saying about the Arnott units?
Old Yesterday, 12:52 PM
Bovineplan
Pit Crew

Received 55 Likes on 33 Posts

I appreciate the wisdom.

Old Yesterday, 01:02 PM
Gerf
Pole Position

Received 814 Likes on 604 Posts

They are one setting only, no ride modes for the arnotts

Other things to consider are did the owner that replaced the fronts seal off the air lines properly or just cut them off and leave em open? I would check to see if all height sensors are intact and present because if you end up getting a module I doubt it will individually put each corner at exactly the same height so you might end up adjusting those as well.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
air sus schematic.pdf (376.1 KB, 6 views)
Old Yesterday, 01:10 PM
cqhall
Rookie

Originally Posted by Gerf
They are one setting only, no ride modes for the arnotts

Other things to consider are did the owner that replaced the fronts seal off the air lines properly or just cut them off and leave em open? I would check to see if all height sensors are intact and present because if you end up getting a module I doubt it will individually put each corner at exactly the same height so you might end up adjusting those as well.
Ah. Thanks!! Yeah, I'd want that if I tried to keep the OEM-ish air bag system.

The lines and electrical connections seem to be intact (thankfully).
Old Yesterday, 01:52 PM
Protholl
Instructor

Received 183 Likes on 153 Posts

I emailed Fortune Auto sales and they replied that they don't offer anything for this car.
Sorry to hear that. I guess there isn't enough demand for that model. Good luck with your hunt.
cqhall (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 02:08 PM
cqhall
Rookie

Sorry to hear that. I guess there isn't enough demand for that model. Good luck with your hunt.
I feel like something is out there.

Ceika customer service doesn't come online until 3AM EST. I can only assume that they are in Asia somewhere. We'll see what they say.
Old Yesterday, 02:09 PM
cqhall
Rookie

There seem to be A LOT of "factory replacement" air bags on eBay. Anyone have any experience with these (or heard of anyone with such)?

Quick Reply: LS600h L AWD coilover options (2024)?