LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Adventures with LS 460 maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-24, 08:39 AM
Fixmenow
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Adventures with LS 460 maintenance

I bought a 2009 LS 460 with 133k miles on back in March of 2023. I paid 13,600 out the door. It is very clean and in good shape. But I had no idea what in the world I was walking into. If only I had a pre-trip inspection!

A few weeks later, I found out the bottom control arms needed replacing and it needed valve cover gaskets replaced. It also needed front struts and it was also time for spark plugs. My brother did the labor and I ended up getting all eight control arms done, but while he was in there he said I needed sway bar links and tie rod ends. Then it needed the lower ball joint replaced on both sides. I got Delphi brand control arms and parts, or Moog. I got Lexus struts and he swapped them out with new strut mounts too. This whole thing ended up costing me over $2k. I held off on the rest. it was down a month working on this and waiting each time we ordered more.

Then I heard a roaring noise shortly after getting the front fixed, and Toyota said I needed tires. Replaced all four tires somewhere else much cheaper, and STILL had a roaring noise. Took it to Lexus and they couldn't find it. Took it to a local mechanic who specialized in foreign cars and he figured it out in one short drive. Rear wheel bearing (how did Toyota and Lexus miss this??). That was around $500 to have that mechanic replace. Noise went away.

I drove it for a while with the VSC and check engine light coming on every few months. Over time, it got increasingly common after resetting it. Always O2 sensor codes. After the initial hit of investments, I wanted to get rid of it. But I owed too much still since all my extra was paying for work instead of paying off the car. This past spring, it gets even better....

I decided to keep the car and get the valve cover gaskets replaced (losing 2 qrts a change), the spark plugs changed, and get the O2 sensors changed. I took it to a local shop that has been in business for 40 years and has a good reputation and reasonable rates. (Shop owner's son who also works there went to school with my brother). They said they work on Lexus cars all the time. They did the valve covers, spark plugs, flushed the radiator, and said I needed a new cam shaft sensor (they only use Denso or name brands). All that was just $800. They forgot about the o2 sensors.

Two days later I get home and my radiator is spraying steam. I looked and realized the infamous broken plastic nipple that these are known to leak from had been repaired previously, and now it is leaking and overheating (I guess the flush did it). So I had to get a new radiator. They did that for me at $375 installed.

I took it back to get the VSC codes dealt with since it was coming back on pretty much daily. They put on both upper O2 sensors. Another $700 due to each sensor being $200 (Denso)! I went to get it just as they finished with this job. I started the car and smelled fuel. I popped the hood and they found the rubber fuel line going to the HPFP on the passenger side was squirting fuel out. They said it was dry-rotted. I assume maybe they nicked it. Either way, they replaced it for free with some spare hose they kept on hand. Then.....it stopped working..

It would start, then die. A couple of times it started and idled, but when you pressed the peddle it would die. I had to leave it. I'm now at one month with it in the shop at this point due to taking it back over and over, and I'm up to $1800 in maintenance. I know this is a good price for what I'm having done, but still...that's a lot of money. And now I have a car that won't drive and I still owe around $12k of the original amount.

They kept the car for another four weeks and didn't figure it out. They had someone come with a professional style computer ($10k system) and found nothing. They called Lexus and Lexus told them this is a common problem with this model and they don't have a fix for it. The Lexus dealership an hour and a half away said they had two on-site that they have replaced a TON of stuff on and they still don't work. So now, I'm getting pretty sick about it. They did replace the fuel pressure sensor and the car would consistently start and idle without shutting off, but it still would shut off if you pressed the peddle.

I finally had to towed to a foreign car specialty shop (the guy that replaced the rear hub). Two days later I get a call the car is ready. The previous shop reversed the fuel lines. A month of headaches and wondering for that.....SMH.

I get the car back finally after not having it for two months (been leaving my wife and kids without a car during the day al this time), and the VSC light is STILL on, but I found out the code is now for the lower driver-side O2 sensor. So I just ordered two Denso lower O2 sensors and I'll get them replaced myself.

All in, this car has been the worst. Not really the car's fault. I just bought it when maintenance was needed and it stacked up. I have around $18-19k in this car now including some other things I had done like Ceramic tent early on. The shop that had it two months also got greese and dirt all over, so I have to do some serious cleaning and reapply that sticky dash fix to cover up mess. If i knew I'd spend this much, I would have bought a newer car to begin with and just be done with it.

I am torn on if I want to keep it or get rid of it. I put it on a 0% card and with all this extra I'v had to reset that 0% now. Part of me wants to pay it off and drive it, but the other side is so scared to try that due to it continuing to need something. Pretty sure I've replaced about every sensor this car has in the engine at this point...ughh...

Last edited by Fixmenow; 08-08-24 at 08:54 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Marc780 (08-08-24)
Old 08-08-24, 10:05 AM
jdmek998
Intermediate

Received 57 Likes on 41 Posts

Id say drive it. Since you wont be getting the money you have invested on the maintenance in it. That is all items that are due by time. Sounds like the car was neglected from prior owners. It sucks but Hopefully you are past the biggest hurdles.
LS460Crown (Yesterday)
Old 08-08-24, 10:56 AM
Fixmenow
Driver

Originally Posted by jdmek998
Id say drive it. Since you wont be getting the money you have invested on the maintenance in it. That is all items that are due by time. Sounds like the car was neglected from prior owners. It sucks but Hopefully you are past the biggest hurdles.
I have a carfax that shows it lived its life at Lexus dealers. It even shows where the water pump was replaced twice within 10k miles (must have done it wrong first time) and the trunk latch. Also had the starter replaced by the used car dealer I bought it from. I THOUGHT it wouldn't be the case, but you are right. They must have known it was coming and got rid of it.

I don't mind driving it for a while now, but I'm torn because every time before I settled in to do that I got bit. Sometimes it's normal stuff like plugs, but then other stuff isn't normal like all those sensors and the radiator. Everything else is good though as far as I know. I left this out but I also put on new brakes and rotors in the front, and brakes in the back. The only job left that I have not done yet is get the brake fluid changed. I did the siphon and replace, but have not had the lines bled.
Old 08-08-24, 11:16 AM
Fixmenow
Driver

This is the list I'm keeping up with.

Old 08-08-24, 11:38 AM
jdmek998
Intermediate

Received 57 Likes on 41 Posts

Everything you have done is normal wear and tear items. Only major item left is the valley plate reseal if that's not ever been done. Obviously these cars carry a premium compared to other Lexus models. I have owned a lot of Lexus's and they are by far cheaper to own than a European car. But that doesn't mean it wont stop having issues.
Originally Posted by Fixmenow
This is the list I'm keeping up with.

Old 08-08-24, 01:57 PM
BB9
Pit Crew

Received 80 Likes on 57 Posts

Yeah, familiar story. Many people getting into this trap. Catch is that this is a premium car that comes with premium cost of maintenance, regardless how much you pay for it. If somebody is selling $100K S class for a pocket change it doesn't automatically makes spare parts and labor free. Same with Lexus. When it comes to this kind of cars there are two schools of thoughts. You can find the newest and most most expensive one that you can afford and drive it relatively problem free. Otherwise, get one really cheap and spend bunch of money over the period of time on catching up with all maintenance items. I had it both ways over the years (particularly when I used to fix cars for living) with different cars and figured it is cheaper to buy expensive one. LOL
LS460Crown (Yesterday)
Old 08-08-24, 02:25 PM
Fixmenow
Driver

Originally Posted by BB9
Yeah, familiar story. Many people getting into this trap. Catch is that this is a premium car that comes with premium cost of maintenance, regardless how much you pay for it. If somebody is selling $100K S class for a pocket change it doesn't automatically makes spare parts and labor free. Same with Lexus. When it comes to this kind of cars there are two schools of thoughts. You can find the newest and most most expensive one that you can afford and drive it relatively problem free. Otherwise, get one really cheap and spend bunch of money over the period of time on catching up with all maintenance items. I had it both ways over the years (particularly when I used to fix cars for living) with different cars and figured it is cheaper to buy expensive one. LOL
LOL Amen! My brother keeps telling me I could have a $500 car payment, but I told him I'd rather have that at this point! The most trouble free vehicle we've ever owned is a 2015 Sienna XLE I got in 2017 with 45k miles. We drive a lot for ministry, and it has just over 195k miles now. We have only had to do basic maintenance and just replaced the struts on it and the plugs. I never bought something that expensive before so It had a bigger payment than I was used to, but we paid it off early. In the end I have owned both cheaper high milage and more expensive low milage and I would rather have a more expensive low milage for the peace of mind. That is worth the added up front cost vs all this surprise mess with weeks of downtime and no car, and never knowing how much you have to spend!

Anybody want a good used LS 460? I know a guy....LOL
LS460Crown (Yesterday)
Old 08-08-24, 02:51 PM
Nospinzone

Received 423 Likes on 326 Posts

First off, after reading of your trials and tribulations, I have to say Fixmenow fits!

Seriously though I can understand the frustration. My first reaction is for you to keep the car. You have replaced so much it should be trouble free. My only concern is I am wondering if you simply have a car that is prone to problems. I guess if I were you I would keep it and if something else costly goes wrong, then get rid of it. Of course the only problem with that is you either have to fix it or take a huge loss to unload it.

End run, I think you are married to that car. If it were me, I would stick with it.
The following 2 users liked this post by Nospinzone:
LS460Crown (Yesterday), Marc780 (08-08-24)
Old 08-08-24, 02:55 PM
Fixmenow
Driver

Originally Posted by Nospinzone
First off, after reading of your trials and tribulations, I have to say Fixmenow fits!

End run, I think you are married to that car. If it were me, I would stick with it.
Ugghhh..LOL I want to like it and just drive it. I do enjoy it. But I can tell I've lost a lot of care for it. I originally paid to have it professionally buffed, cleaned the inside and used that sticky dash fix making the inside look almost new. Now it's got dirt all over, and I noticed the leather on the driver seat in the back has been nicked and is peeling up a little piece. I tried so hard to keep this thing looking nice inside and out. Now....I almost just don't care anymore. MIght not even wash it. The more I put into it, the more it has broke my heart.....
LS460Crown (Yesterday)
Old 08-08-24, 02:57 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,221 Likes on 907 Posts

Sounds like my 07 when I bought it, but mine had the whole interior replaced and a new brake actuator....and I paid under 10k with less miles but to be fair they did ask 16k.

I just fixed it all in one pass, it's been absolutely perfect for the last 3 years now since then so once sorted you will end up with a great car.
LS460Crown (Yesterday)
Old 08-08-24, 07:55 PM
david305
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fix it an enjoy it. There is no other car on the road like it.
LS460Crown (Yesterday)
Old 08-08-24, 10:35 PM
Lance460
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

This is what I think I avoided. I bought a 2012 LS460 in Feb of this year and got rid of it in March. It seemed very nice with 84k miles but too many warning signs in the month I had it. I replaced the battery and the thermostat and for a luxury car the wind noise was higher than I expected. I’d say get rid of it…more problems will come I’m sure.

It’s not worth the “luxury”. I ended up leasing the Ioniq 5 SEL for $298/month for 2 years so I have zero regrets, zero maintenance (tire rotation is included), and zero charging costs (2 years included - which is the life of the lease). Yes I lost a little but I paid cash for the car so I just chalk it to lesson learned.

Old Yesterday, 06:37 PM
JRA2000TL
Intermediate

Received 88 Likes on 58 Posts

I’m sorry you’ve had a horrible experience. This is why I searched for a year to find the perfect one with low miles, 1 owner, and all services performed at Lexus at or before their due date. I have a repair fund stash and mine is only a weekend car. You’ve spent so much that you won’t get back; just keep the car and try to enjoy it. I spent hundreds of hours on this forum to know what I was getting into. The pre 2013 year models had many more issues. Is this a daily driver or a weekend toy for you?

They’re amazing cars but a PPI is a must and, like any other car, they need repairs once the mileage gets up there. Lexus parts are just exorbitantly expensive. Be glad you didn’t buy a 7 series BMW or an S/SL class Mercedes.

If you want a little luxury but awesome reliability, buy an ES350. My 11 has 204k, is my daily, and has been the best car I’ve ever owned. I’ll replace it in a year or two with a 2016-2018. It’s no LS, but it’s a hell of a nice car without the stress.

Last edited by JRA2000TL; Yesterday at 06:56 PM.
Old Yesterday, 07:12 PM
napamikey
Pit Crew

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Just put this on the wrong post. Main thing is to verify maintenance but I think you are still below my assumptions below:
got a '12 ls460l AWD with air shocks with 234k miles a little over 2 years ago(2022). It has EVERY OPTION ( inc acc which is required now in new cars) except executive seat but still has 4 zone climate incl heated, cooled and reclining rear seats and massage and tvs! prob cost 90k+new. Interior and exterior were beautiful. My cost 13k. While similar with less than 100k miles were running in the 25k range. So I thought if I could just get 100k out of this it would be a win! Now at 280k miles I have only done oil changes, tranny oil change, rear brakes and new plugs. Cost me about $750 total over 45k miles, I do most of the work myself. No other issues. But I know need to change shocks to coilovers soon.That said why do people pay 25k+ for the same exact car that when an extra 100k miles would easily go for 15k+ less. I just don't see how anyone is putting more than 15k in repairs over 100k miles with a car that has a documented maintenance history.

Last edited by napamikey; Yesterday at 07:16 PM.
Old Yesterday, 07:13 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,221 Likes on 907 Posts

Originally Posted by JRA2000TL
I’m sorry you’ve had a horrible experience. This is why I searched for a year to find the perfect one with low miles, 1 owner, and all services performed at Lexus at or before their due date. I have a repair fund stash and mine is only a weekend car. You’ve spent so much that you won’t get back; just keep the car and try to enjoy it. I spent hundreds of hours on this forum to know what I was getting into. The pre 2013 year models had many more issues. Is this a daily driver or a weekend toy for you?

They’re amazing cars but a PPI is a must and, like any other car, they need repairs once the mileage gets up there. Lexus parts are just exorbitantly expensive. Be glad you didn’t buy a 7 series BMW or an S/SL class Mercedes.

If you want a little luxury but awesome reliability, buy an ES350. My 11 has 204k, is my daily, and has been the best car I’ve ever owned. I’ll replace it in a year or two with a 2016-2018. It’s no LS, but it’s a hell of a nice car without the stress.
The German cars have 1/2 the cost for parts btw.....majorly cheaper and easier to get stuff for them vs the hellscape of finding LS OEMs. Half the time on the LS it's impossible to figure out who actually makes the parts
JRA2000TL (Yesterday)

Quick Reply: Adventures with LS 460 maintenance