LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

New Brake Actuator?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-24, 01:59 PM
lili43
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default New Brake Actuator?

Car is getting its Brake Actuator replaced under warranty. QUESTION: will I notice any difference with a new one?

Last edited by lili43; 08-29-24 at 02:12 PM.
Old 08-29-24, 02:12 PM
Gerf
Pole Position

Received 839 Likes on 619 Posts

Depends, did you have any braking symptoms when it was diagnosed?
Old 08-29-24, 02:19 PM
lili43
Driver

None that aren't out of the norm? Brakes bite hard, and sometimes there is a "thud" noise when you brake. (Not suspension, and seem to be normal?). I've just gotten used to both of that.
Old 08-29-24, 02:39 PM
Gerf
Pole Position

It's still a win for you either way. Did you get your headlights adjusted? I forgot to post this when I read that thread.
The following users liked this post:
lili43 (08-29-24)
Old 08-29-24, 02:48 PM
lili43
Driver

Originally Posted by Gerf
It's still a win for you either way. Did you get your headlights adjusted? I forgot to post this when I read that thread.
I sure did. Very easy. Took a few attempts, test again... eventually got it. Found a dark road and just spent time getting it just right.

Does the brake actuator replacement... will that end the hard brake bite? If so, I guess I just got used to it.
Old 08-29-24, 03:03 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,230 Likes on 914 Posts

Hard bite could be a need for linear offset calibration but be warned that if the actuator is on its way out it won't take a relearn.
Protholl (08-29-24)
Old 08-29-24, 03:37 PM
lili43
Driver

Originally Posted by Striker223
Hard bite could be a need for linear offset calibration but be warned that if the actuator is on its way out it won't take a relearn.
This would confirm my original question… when the actuator is replaced I will notice the bite is gone?
Old 08-29-24, 04:16 PM
Gerf
Pole Position

If it's not an f sport your brakes should feel like most other cars and trucks.

Old 08-29-24, 05:02 PM
lili43
Driver

If it's not an f sport your brakes should feel like most other cars and trucks.
wow! Ok. Then I really have gotten used to it. No, it’s not like our other vehicles. They bite. Glad dealer ran it through the tech stream and got codes and it’s being replaced.
Old 08-29-24, 08:23 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by lili43
This would confirm my original question… when the actuator is replaced I will notice the bite is gone?
The bite you are describing is usually an actuator that is not calibrated, I've replaced enough of them now that I'm used to how that feels. Now if you have an F-sport with the larger brakes those can be a little bitey but nothing like an out of calibration actuator
The following 2 users liked this post by Striker223:
lili43 (08-29-24), Marc780 (Yesterday)
Old 08-29-24, 08:55 PM
joedaddy1
Racer

Received 194 Likes on 151 Posts

wow! Ok. Then I really have gotten used to it. No, it’s not like our other vehicles. They bite. Glad dealer ran it through the tech stream and got codes and it’s being replaced.
if you have oem pads their initial bite is pretty grabby. I actually prefer this, as long as you can be soft on the brake pedal, you get used to it. Similar to BMWs (older ones, at least). So your actuator may not “fix” this.

Some owners change to a ceramic aftermarket pads, much less initial bite and much less brake dust.
Old Yesterday, 06:29 AM
lili43
Driver

I think this is exactly what happened. A linear offset calibration was attempted, lights did not go away which would then explain why actuator is being replaced. If I understand it, lights came on because electrical work was being done and that “tripped” the dashboard and wouldn’t go away.
Old Yesterday, 09:48 AM
Gerf
Pole Position

I think this is exactly what happened. A linear offset calibration was attempted, lights did not go away which would then explain why actuator is being replaced. If I understand it, lights came on because electrical work was being done and that “tripped” the dashboard and wouldn’t go away.
Well pretty soon you will have a new actuator installed and tells us how it performs.

The bite you are describing is usually an actuator that is not calibrated, I've replaced enough of them now that I'm used to how that feels. Now if you have an F-sport with the larger brakes those can be a little bitey but nothing like an out of calibration actuator
I haven't replaced any actuators on any Lexus model but I've done a few Toyota models and they don't get bitey, they start with codes then start making noises then the pump run time increases until it bites the big green weiner and you have no assist. For pads to change their initial bite the pump would have to be capable of much higher pressures and the stroke sensor would have to max out along with the brake assist function and I don't think that happens.

Old Yesterday, 03:55 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Well pretty soon you will have a new actuator installed and tells us how it performs.

I haven't replaced any actuators on any Lexus model but I've done a few Toyota models and they don't get bitey, they start with codes then start making noises then the pump run time increases until it bites the big green weiner and you have no assist. For pads to change their initial bite the pump would have to be capable of much higher pressures and the stroke sensor would have to max out along with the brake assist function and I don't think that happens.
Happens all the time on the 460 unit, I'm not sure exactly why but I have had several now get really bitey as in try to send you through the windscreen bitey before they go.

The rest follow the path you mention with gradual increase in pump run time and noise followed by rear ending another car because you kept ignoring the warning lights and no assist. I had a customer end up using another car as his brakes since apparently the screaming warning tone and very difficult braking was not a problem
lili43 (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 05:06 PM
lili43
Driver

Happens all the time on the 460 unit, I'm not sure exactly why but I have had several now get really bitey as in try to send you through the windscreen bitey before they go.

The rest follow the path you mention with gradual increase in pump run time and noise followed by rear ending another car because you kept ignoring the warning lights and no assist. I had a customer end up using another car as his brakes since apparently the screaming warning tone and very difficult braking was not a problem
This all makes sense. I got used to the brakes. Technician who drove my car to the garage, must have known something was wrong. Ran test. Getting it replaced. This is just wild me to because I had no idea! Glad I’m getting new actuator. I’ll report back after the weekend how it went.