LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Stereo works - No volume control - Mark Levinson Amp

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-24 | 10:11 PM
scutch
Pit Crew

Default Stereo works - No volume control - Mark Levinson Amp

Hi, I was playing the stereo loud today and then the volume went out, but it still seemed to be playing.
Like others, I still have the sound control button on the screen, but, was it the DSP button where you could turn the surround on? That is gone. When I go into the sound controls, it's only bass and treble and they are all the way up. Speaker position is forced into the very back right position and can't adjusted, like other posts.
There was an old post where the person had these exact symptoms and was get gonna get the amp repaired then never concluded his post. So does a bad amp also cause these odd settings? I'll report the conclusion when I get there.

Here's a site that helps with fuse locations.
https://fuse-box.info/lexus/lexus-ls...Box_%E2%84%961

All the stereo elements seem to be counting down songs they are playing, just no volume control on the dial or the steering wheel.
The amp and head unit was replaced by the dealer in 2016.
I checked the 30 amp fuse under the glove box and it had continuity. So OK.
I disconnected the battery for 30 mins. No help.
I don't have leaks in the trunk.
I am guessing the amp is bad.
I know EMVN means Electro Multi-Vision with Navigation. I am just not sure how that relates to whether the amp is bad or not. At first it says EMVN is OK, then when I go into Lan Monitor it says to CHEK, and has codes and dates.
What does Lan Monitor mean? AVCLAN PLUS CHECK?
Will my EMVN errors go away if I fix the amp or is that a secondary problem?
I'll cross my fingers and hope there is a bad connection at the amp.

No more killer stereo is the deepest cut for me and my LS460. Not the stereo!

Thanks for any help.

The part number for the Mark Levinson amp for our models is 86280-0w480

This guy "factoryradios" on Ebay will repair them for $365
https://www.ebay.com/itm/15317030916...mis&media=COPY

Here's who people recommend calling to get your Mark Levinson amp fixed for $725 as of 2024.
United Radio
5705 Enterprise Pkwy
East Syracuse NY 13507
315-446-5570

Thought I would post some pictures to help people looking in the future.

Below is the 30 amp fuse to check very easily under the glove box.
This video shows you how.
If you want to replace this fuse google search for "Lowprofile Jcase 58V 30A 1Pc: 30 Amp, Pink"

I kept reading about people referring to "System Check Mode" or "secret nav screen menu." I finally found the directions for a 2007 LS 460. These are very basic diagnostics, but they can help point you in a direction if you don't have a code reader.

Here's how:
-Either turn the car on or just press the ignition twice till all the dash lights are on with your foot off the brake.
-Turn OFF the headlights
-Push and hold the INFO button
- While you are still holding the INFO button, turn the lights On, Off. On, Off. On, off.
You can then look at some of your codes.

I read that NCON means "not connected" for the AMP. If the physical connections at the amp in the trunk are ok, and that fuse above is ok, then a bad amp is indicated.

Looks like my Head Unit is OK.

Has something been brewing?

Looks like my AUDIO errors were in 2020 so I am guess they can be cleared and forgotten.

The XM radio errors also seem old.

Last edited by scutch; 09-16-24 at 12:39 PM.
Old 09-12-24 | 07:10 PM
Anfanger
Pole Position

ML AMPs are known to fail, it is a common issue.
The following users liked this post:
scutch (09-16-24)
Old 09-13-24 | 10:52 AM
jmcraney

Maybe some help for you here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...st-volume.html
scutch (09-16-24)
Old 09-16-24 | 12:33 PM
scutch
Pit Crew

Turns out the Duralast Gold battery I got in Dec 2022 went bad the day after the amp went out, so maybe it was related? Who knows. It would not hold a charge. Autozone did replace it for free. My back windows wouldn't go down after that, but it seemed to have fix itself with some fiddling and then I reinitialized the windows. That was a new one I didn't know about.

I was mistaken about the 30 amp fuse under the glove box. An easy way to check them because you can't see if they are bad is just pull the purple window off. It was blown and it keeps being blown each time I put a new one in. I then unplugged all the wires to the amp in the trunk and it didn't blow when I put it in, but did again when I only plugged in the set of wires closest to the front on the amp, the two black wires.

So, I called United Radio and they said $725, but I asked if they refurbish them or just fix the bad circuit. The women seemed to indicate that only acute problems were fixed. That made me wonder why I should spend $725 when I can get a used one with a month return for $300 on Ebay?

A salvage yard here in Colorado gave me the number of Toys Automart in Racho Cordova, CA.
916-638-0440 They had one for $300 plus shipping, but I feel more comfortable with an Ebay seller with a 100% rating.

That's where I am at. I called a couple electric repair shows and they won't fix them. So probably buying a used one today.

Last edited by scutch; 09-16-24 at 01:33 PM.
Old 09-17-24 | 07:14 AM
lwphat66
Instructor

Originally Posted by scutch
Turns out the Duralast Gold battery I got in Dec 2022 went bad the day after the amp went out, so maybe it was related? Who knows. It would not hold a charge. Autozone did replace it for free. My back windows wouldn't go down after that, but it seemed to have fix itself with some fiddling and then I reinitialized the windows. That was a new one I didn't know about.

I was mistaken about the 30 amp fuse under the glove box. An easy way to check them because you can't see if they are bad is just pull the purple window off. It was blown and it keeps being blown each time I put a new one in. I then unplugged all the wires to the amp in the trunk and it didn't blow when I put it in, but did again when I only plugged in the set of wires closest to the front on the amp, the two black wires.

So, I called United Radio and they said $725, but I asked if they refurbish them or just fix the bad circuit. The women seemed to indicate that only acute problems were fixed. That made me wonder why I should spend $725 when I can get a used one with a month return for $300 on Ebay?

A salvage yard here in Colorado gave me the number of Toys Automart in Racho Cordova, CA.
916-638-0440 They had one for $300 plus shipping, but I feel more comfortable with an Ebay seller with a 100% rating.

That's where I am at. I called a couple electric repair shows and they won't fix them. So probably buying a used one today.
In JAN 2022, I replaced my inoperable amp (#86280-0W260) with a refurbished unit from oemautoaudio on ebay, and he was very quick and thorough with a few questions I had. My amp was making the oscillating/popping sound thru the speakers. Back then, it cost $575 for the refurbed amp plus $25 for shipping and $42 tax, for a total of $642 I'm pretty certain he included a box (and maybe even a shipping label) for me to send him my old amp. Shortly after he received it, I was credited $200 because my amp was serviceable and had no water damage (which I had a pretty good feeling about beforehand).

I was very pleased with his service and would use him again if necessary. The amp is still working fine, and I have not had any issues since I installed it over 2-1/2 years ago.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/193737632401?epid=1217822754&itmmeta=01J80433NYHPZNBNK64X97J1E5&hash=item2d1ba9aa91:g:CgEAAOSw2AtkCzGx
86280-0W480 Lexus Mark Levinson amplifier 2007 2008 2009 2010 LS460 *REFURBISHED | eBay

oemautoaudio
scutch (09-17-24)
Old 09-23-24 | 10:56 AM
scutch
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by lwphat66
In JAN 2022, I replaced my inoperable amp (#86280-0W260) with a refurbished unit from oemautoaudio on ebay, and he was very quick and thorough with a few questions I had. My amp was making the oscillating/popping sound thru the speakers. Back then, it cost $575 for the refurbed amp plus $25 for shipping and $42 tax, for a total of $642 I'm pretty certain he included a box (and maybe even a shipping label) for me to send him my old amp. Shortly after he received it, I was credited $200 because my amp was serviceable and had no water damage (which I had a pretty good feeling about beforehand).

I was very pleased with his service and would use him again if necessary. The amp is still working fine, and I have not had any issues since I installed it over 2-1/2 years ago.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/193737632401?epid=1217822754&itmmeta=01J80433NYHPZNBNK64X97J1E5&hash=item2d1ba9aa91:g:CgEAAOSw2AtkCzGx
86280-0W480 Lexus Mark Levinson amplifier 2007 2008 2009 2010 LS460 *REFURBISHED | eBay

oemautoaudio

Thanks, I went with a used one for $240 on Ebay. Still, that is a much better repair price than the $725 at United Radio.

Last edited by scutch; 09-23-24 at 11:06 AM.
Old 09-23-24 | 10:58 AM
scutch
Pit Crew

Update: I found an 86280-0W480 Harman/Becker Inc amp (Made for Mark Levinson) used on Ebay for $260 including tax. I put it in 4 days ago and everything went back to normal immediately. The DSP button came back and the fader controls started working again. I gambled on maybe having to buy a couple used amps for what I would pay to send it to get fixed by United Radio or the other places. If anyone has any details on whether they actually refurbish other old circuits in these amps or not, that would be useful info. Are they just fixing the one circuit that always goes out on these or renewing other old components? What do you get for $725?
I'll report back if it fails anytime soon. I have a month to return it.
Happy to have my music back!

Last edited by scutch; 09-23-24 at 11:02 AM.
Old 09-23-24 | 11:46 AM
lwphat66
Instructor

Originally Posted by scutch
Update: I found an 86280-0W480 Harman/Becker Inc amp (Made for Mark Levinson) used on Ebay for $260 including tax. I put it in 4 days ago and everything went back to normal immediately. The DSP button came back and the fader controls started working again. I gambled on maybe having to buy a couple used amps for what I would pay to send it to get fixed by United Radio or the other places. If anyone has any details on whether they actually refurbish other old circuits in these amps or not, that would be useful info. Are they just fixing the one circuit that always goes out on these or renewing other old components? What do you get for $725?
I'll report back if it fails anytime soon. I have a month to return it.
Happy to have my music back!
Congrats brother on finding a working and inexpensive replacement! Since I installed my refurbed amp in JAN '22, I now turn down the volume then turn the audio system off before shutting down the car. Proactive juju against unknown electrical gremlins is my train of thought. LOL
scutch (09-23-24)
Old 09-23-24 | 07:03 PM
scutch
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by lwphat66
Congrats brother on finding a working and inexpensive replacement! Since I installed my refurbed amp in JAN '22, I now turn down the volume then turn the audio system off before shutting down the car. Proactive juju against unknown electrical gremlins is my train of thought. LOL
That's probably a good idea, and you don't get terrified in the morning if you left it on at full volume.
Old 10-02-24 | 06:49 PM
cpcc
Pit Crew

mine went bad, sunroof drain pipe came off and filled the amp tray in the trunk with water.