LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

LS 600H press Conference Live 9:25 a.m. on Wednesday, April 12, 2006 pg52

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-06, 09:17 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by AmethySC
BMW luving
My bad. Your right.
Old 01-08-06, 09:21 PM
Rockville
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default The new LS460 is a marketing ploy all right.....

Originally Posted by mmarshall
OK guys.....I'm a Johnny-Come-Lately to this long thread but I'll toss in my two cents now.

Just judging by the posted pictures, it is a nice car indeed but not earth-shattering or spectacular. I'm not normally a fan of grays and silvers but I agree it looks good in that smoke-gray. The two-tone cream-color interior IMO is far better looking then the gray one, but I personally like a more matte-grain to the wood-trim ( like in the new Infiniti M35 / 45 )....I am not a big fan of the shiny, polished wood look.

I have only two criticisms as to its design.

One, there should be an AWD version. Let's hope one is forthcoming.

Two, 8 speeds in a conventional automatic IMO is just plain overkill. It is obviously just an marketing ploy to one-up the Mercedes 7-speed automatics, at least on paper. That would be fine if there was a real need for 8 gears.....but you already have an engine with plenty of torque. If you are going to have THAT many gears, heck, you might as well put in a CVT and just have an infinite number of them. CVT drive belts are getting more durable now and better-suited to higher-output engines.

Other that that, it appears to be quite a nice job. I will look at the car more closely at the Washington, D.C. Auto Show on Jan. 24 and then may have more comments.
Lexus uses a CVT in the RX400h but it doesn't have any belts which is a common misconception. It is a sandwich of planetary gear sets instead. In the last ten years of bicycle evolution I have seen the rear cogset go from 6 to 10 gears. It sure helped Lance. The point is that you can get better off the line acceleration and better cruising fuel efficiency with more gears. You also can space them closer so there is less lurch per shift. The new ES350 is expected to have 6 gears and that is difficult to do in a FWD transmission. A Lexus engineer who drove it in Japan said that is was the smoothest FWD tranny he had ever tested. Lexus has never had a gas guzzler tax bestowed on them by Uncle Sam and this shows that they aren't going to compromise consumption for increased performance. The LS600h will probably give the AWD that you seek by placing electric motors at various wheels instead of differentials and driveshafts.

There were hints of this future Lexus in Jim Press' remarks. Lexus not only designed a new generation LS but it also redesigned the whole production process. The dealerships are going through a redesign phase now and the same philosophy is being implemented. Tahara already has the best reputation for quality and fewest defects yet Lexus decided it was time to set a higher standard. This serious dedication to continuous improvement is what makes Lexus so unique. Kaizen.....

In the future the Lexus will start itself and meet you at the curb. Once inside it will greet you and offer you a beverage and daily summary of events. If it notices that you are feverish it will change courses and automatically notify your physician of your condition and expected arrival. Since your schedule has changed it will go directly to the next most important event and reinsert you and give you encouragement as it waits patiently for you to reappear. It calls ahead to the Restaurant to hold your table as you will arrive in approximately 7 minutes for lunch. It reminds you that you should call so and so to say Thanks and then suggests flowers.....The future Lexus will surely be intelligent and good looking....it might even have a soul.

Rock
Old 01-08-06, 09:25 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,433 Likes on 1,595 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
What's going to keep the martini in the glass, bit, is not how many gears it has but how smooth the tranny shifts....which, of course, is something Lexus excels in.
8 cogs means less rpm shifts between 'em which makes it easier to keep it smooth.
Old 01-08-06, 09:27 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ArmyofOne
mmarshall, i usually agree with you, but must respectfully disagree in this case. I LOVE the idea of an 8 speed. The idea of cruising at 80mph at 1200 Rpms is unfatomable to me, as i had a Lexus that would rumble along at 80mph in 4th gear doing 3600 rpm.

i have a manual now, and its a 5 speed, and it buzzes along at 80 mph at 3000. but my moms camry has a 5 speed auto (its an 05) and at 80 mph its barly tapping the 2,000 mark. so what gives?

that tells me that an 8 speed should be between 800 and 1,000 rpm at 65. and THAT is BARELY
above idle. until you need to hit the gas, at which point the donwshift to 6th (it could probably even get away with bypassing 7th on the downshift) to accelerate would be HARDLY noticeable, if nothing more than a jump of the RPM gage.
More gears doesn't always mean the top gear will be significantly higher ratio than a tranny with fewer gears - it usually just means the ratio spacing between gears is smaller. REALLY low rpms at 65 for example would mean no passing power and lots of downshifting.

But certainly I expect 8th in the new tranny to be a bit taller than 6th in the existing one.
Old 01-08-06, 09:32 PM
LexFather

I wonder too, with 8 speeds, I mean, they can keep that tranny for sometime, which in the end, would lower costs, instead of having to develop another tranny soon. Also, I am sure its bulked up to handle more power.

Its crazy, 20 years ago, having a 4 speed auto meant you were really doing something. We have just doubled that.

And some luxury car makers don't even have a 6 speed yet!

I think the base LS 430 starts at 55k now, I can see this new LS 460 starting at $59,999 and the 460L starting around $65,0000. I think options are going to really make this car go up near or possibly at the $80,000 range.

A loaded LS 430 now with the ultra luxury package is $70,000.
Old 01-08-06, 09:32 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Rockville
Le...The future Lexus will surely be intelligent and good looking....it might even have a soul.
What if it has a conscience too? Then will it refuse to drive to a strip club?
Old 01-08-06, 09:35 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
What if it has a conscience too? Then will it refuse to drive to a strip club?
That is one Lexus I won't be buying.
Old 01-08-06, 09:59 PM
fireballs gs400
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default long thread

I shall add my .02 cents.

The car is PHENOMINAL! The entire car is just a excellent blend of what people want in a lux auto. I feel that in this day and age there will be a excellent market for this car, and its also trying to break into another market as well. I feel that some people who make there own money, and understand what it takes to make there own money, will spend money more wisely than someone who doesn't "appreiciate the $$$'s". A maybach person will buy a maybach, as well as a phantom person. But as far as the s class crowd, and the 7 series crowd, I feel this is the car that is making a defining statement. The Performance isn't a key because its not tested yet. The look is clean, and well put together. I get a full feeling when I look at the car. I mean what else could it have. I think being the least priced lux car out of the big three bmw, benz, I feel it is a good thing, due to showing what true worth is in putting a car together, and making it the best possible car, Status alone will not keep non-quality work afloat.
Old 01-08-06, 10:05 PM
Rockville
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Note to Lexus...

Add "Nearest Strip Club" to the voice command list....
Old 01-08-06, 10:14 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rockville

There were hints of this future Lexus in Jim Press' remarks. Lexus not only designed a new generation LS but it also redesigned the whole production process. The dealerships are going through a redesign phase now and the same philosophy is being implemented. Tahara already has the best reputation for quality and fewest defects yet Lexus decided it was time to set a higher standard. This serious dedication to continuous improvement is what makes Lexus so unique. Kaizen.....

In the future the Lexus will start itself and meet you at the curb. Once inside it will greet you and offer you a beverage and daily summary of events. If it notices that you are feverish it will change courses and automatically notify your physician of your condition and expected arrival. Since your schedule has changed it will go directly to the next most important event and reinsert you and give you encouragement as it waits patiently for you to reappear. It calls ahead to the Restaurant to hold your table as you will arrive in approximately 7 minutes for lunch. It reminds you that you should call so and so to say Thanks and then suggests flowers.....The future Lexus will surely be intelligent and good looking....it might even have a soul.

Rock
That would be sooo cool, as long as it lets you take the wheel some of the time. This reminds me of the imaginary 'Lexus' ride on a Minority Report website, and also of some future concepts I've read about in sci-fi. The auto-park function already is a hint of this, and I have a feeling that the luxury makes will accelerate the introduction of these unique features before the masses. One article I read on the LS 460 called it '22nd century technology.' That may be hyperbole now...
Old 01-09-06, 12:25 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

After looking through the pics for the second time, I really like the interior,but I wish that more chrome was used throughout. It just seems like something is missing(it looks so cold). Its the finer details that they could improve on. Maybe more wood too. It doesnt portray that luxurious look like it should have. Now that lower level Lexus models interiors look like they belong in a 70K car, I expected just a little bit more. Maybe I am asking for to much.
Old 01-09-06, 12:53 AM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

It appears Lexus went with a timing chain vs a timing belt.
Old 01-09-06, 01:39 AM
p.hase
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i am glad this car looks 10x better in real on the turntable than on the factory pics that spread. very nice job. i like it very much.

now i am in trouble, trading my 2003 LS430 against LS460 OR RX350?
Old 01-09-06, 02:18 AM
ES Boy
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I could just about die happily inside this car. Car-gasm worthiness right there.
Old 01-09-06, 02:55 AM
daryll40
Pole Position

Received 420 Likes on 286 Posts
Default Awd?

It's still not clear: WIll this new LS have available AWD or not? And at what price?

Quick Reply: LS 600H press Conference Live 9:25 a.m. on Wednesday, April 12, 2006 pg52