LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

LS 600H press Conference Live 9:25 a.m. on Wednesday, April 12, 2006 pg52

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-06 | 09:24 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by rominl
why? parents and kids.
I think you need more than a LS LWB for parents AND kids, a minivan
Old 01-12-06 | 10:54 AM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Well hopefully the specs on the left column (LS 460) will change then...as it seems LS 460L gets everything that LS 460 does not. I think a watered-down rear seat package (recliners, no ottoman), and entertainment system are needed as options. Plus standard bluetooth.
Attached Thumbnails LS 600H press Conference Live 9:25 a.m. on Wednesday, April 12, 2006 pg52-lex-specs.jpg  
Old 01-12-06 | 01:21 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by enigma354
Well hopefully the specs on the left column (LS 460) will change then...as it seems LS 460L gets everything that LS 460 does not. I think a watered-down rear seat package (recliners, no ottoman), and entertainment system are needed as options. Plus standard bluetooth.
why? Obviously, for equipment to be standard, LS460L customer will have to pay more for their "base" cars...

It is good to have choice.
Old 01-12-06 | 01:36 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

I agree...the LS 460L, which costs more, should have more amenities, not just room. Looks like they're 'forcing' people to buy the LS 460L by downgrading the LS 460 to below LS 430 status, in some ways.

But the LS 460, which is the direct (unstretched) heir to the LS 400/430, should offer the same amenties as options, IMO. If the LS 430 can offer reclining seats/massagers, I think it's a downgrade to have the LS 460 not have them. For those who have regular sized garages, and have found the size of the LS 400/430 to their liking and don't need the stretch + added $$$ associated with it, the LS 460 would be great. But it would be a downgrade to go from amenties-laden LS 430 to amenties-lacking LS 460, if this chart is to be believed.

The N/A should be options, IMO, or a compensatory package (vibrating massagers without ottomans, etc.) should be offered.

And of course, the 2 rear seats should have ottomans/massagers, not just one. Plus the DVD monitor situation--1 monitor or 2?

Just being very picky. because I expect the best from Lexus and so far they've done a good job of delivering it...so far so good, but I'm hoping that as we learn more, it will get even better.
Old 01-12-06 | 04:49 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Many people who rarely have someone in the back will have no interest in paying for rear seat amenities. Lexus has never had very flexible packaging options but I think they've got this about right. Have rear seat passengers a lot? Get the 460L. Don't have rear seat passengers often? Get the 460.

And some things like the one touch trunk being standard on the 460L is just to differentiate the two models and simplify Lexus manufacturing. People who want the LS460L will most likely get everything.

I think they've got it just about right!
Old 01-12-06 | 08:19 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by XeroK00L
why the hell is the new LS getting only a 8GB HDD of music storage?? It's the year 2006 already for god's sake!! Even the JDM IS has a 30GB HDD. Hopefully the HDD is of a non-proprietary format and can be easily swapped with a much larger one...
OK I was reading a report on the new LS when a paragraph caught my eyes:

"The flagship Lexus model also features reclining rear seats with a massager and ottoman footrests, a body temperature sensor to regulate the airconditioning and a 40 gigabyte hard disc sound system that will store more than 4000 songs -- that's about three days' worth of music."

Is that a misprint? I really do hope it has a 40GB HDD (which only makes sense since the JDM IS has a 30GB HDD) and that the mere 4000 songs Jim Press was talking about are in an UNCOMPRESSED format. If so, it'll be awesome.
Old 01-12-06 | 08:24 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Don't get carried away, it is a misprint. The server is 8 GB, as written here:

http://www.lexus.com/2007ls_preview/...l?s_ocid=20460

There are 2 misprints--it is an 8 GB hard disc sound system which can store more than 4,000 songs--that's about three years worth of music.

So, not a computer/laptop-grade HD. More like a built-in iPod mini.
Old 01-12-06 | 08:39 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian
CL Folding 25,000

There are 2 misprints--it is an 8 GB hard disc sound system which can store more than 4,000 songs--that's about three years worth of music.

hmmm...so who will be the first person to a JDM HardDrive swap!!?
Old 01-12-06 | 09:47 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

Originally Posted by AmethySC
I think you need more than a LS LWB for parents AND kids, a minivan
haha a minivan of suv is definitely in line, but still, sometimes they wanna be in my car and i would hate to take two cars coz' we happen to have 5 people!

I agree...the LS 460L, which costs more, should have more amenities, not just room. Looks like they're 'forcing' people to buy the LS 460L by downgrading the LS 460 to below LS 430 status, in some ways.

But the LS 460, which is the direct (unstretched) heir to the LS 400/430, should offer the same amenties as options, IMO. If the LS 430 can offer reclining seats/massagers, I think it's a downgrade to have the LS 460 not have them. For those who have regular sized garages, and have found the size of the LS 400/430 to their liking and don't need the stretch + added $$$ associated with it, the LS 460 would be great. But it would be a downgrade to go from amenties-laden LS 430 to amenties-lacking LS 460, if this chart is to be believed.

The N/A should be options, IMO, or a compensatory package (vibrating massagers without ottomans, etc.) should be offered.

And of course, the 2 rear seats should have ottomans/massagers, not just one. Plus the DVD monitor situation--1 monitor or 2?

Just being very picky. because I expect the best from Lexus and so far they've done a good job of delivering it...so far so good, but I'm hoping that as we learn more, it will get even better.
umm, not really. out there on the street, MOST of the ls430 right now are modern or custom luxury. there are quite a few UL out there but it's far from majority. and as far as i know, it's virtually impossible to get say the seat massager if you don't get the UL (unless you do custom order from japan).

so in a sense lexus is still keeping the same process, providing the premium service and facilities in the most premium setup of their flagship

i kinda doubt that actually. with 128bit coding and around 4min per song, you can fit around 250 songs max in a 1gb storage. so with 8gb, that's ONLY about 2000 songs. and if you want better quality to actually utilize the ML, you want higher bit rate. if they really do 4000 songs in the 8gb storage, either each song is very short, or they quality is so bad that you are actually "destroying" the ml system

but on the other hand i don't really care, coz' i am very happy with my 1gb ipod shuffle now already. i just hope the interface to d/l the songs is easy. st
Old 01-12-06 | 10:07 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

umm, not really. out there on the street, MOST of the ls430 right now are modern or custom luxury. there are quite a few UL out there but it's far from majority. and as far as i know, it's virtually impossible to get say the seat massager if you don't get the UL (unless you do custom order from japan).

so in a sense lexus is still keeping the same process, providing the premium service and facilities in the most premium setup of their flagship.
You guys have convinced me, I guess there won't be that many who want an LS 460 with ultra luxe who wouldn't want to get the LS 460L with ultra luxe instead. Does Mercedes do this--making its standard wheelbase versions less plush than their long wheelbase ones? What about those who live in crowded neighborhoods, or want a successor to their LS 430 Ultra Luxe but don't need the added length? I guess they're not enough...so, ok, you want Ultra Luxe...get the LWB.

However, I still think that Lexus would be best off leaving the LS 460 as complete as possible. For instance, I think the GS comes with bluetooth standard (at least several other lower-tier luxury makes have bluetooth standard), but the LS 460 has it optional.

i kinda doubt that actually. with 128bit coding and around 4min per song, you can fit around 250 songs max in a 1gb storage. so with 8gb, that's ONLY about 2000 songs. and if you want better quality to actually utilize the ML, you want higher bit rate. if they really do 4000 songs in the 8gb storage, either each song is very short, or they quality is so bad that you are actually "destroying" the ml system

but on the other hand i don't really care, coz' i am very happy with my 1gb ipod shuffle now already. i just hope the interface to d/l the songs is easy. st
Yeah, the 20GB Ipod is listed as taking in 5,000 songs, so its going to need high compression or low quality or something to take 4,000.
Old 01-13-06 | 10:40 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

i dont think that means LS460 wont have enough luxury options, it is just that it wont have those super duper armchairs and few features associated with it...

I bet bluetooth will be standard with NAVI, and who is going to order LS460 without navi? It is probably going to be one of those mandatory options...

There are plenty of other features that are not shown to the press yet too...
Old 01-13-06 | 11:13 AM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by spwolf
I bet bluetooth will be standard with NAVI, and who is going to order LS460 without navi? It is probably going to be one of those mandatory options...
I agree...more likely than not, the cars arriving at dealerships will not arrive bare bones, but come as part of a package. Thus many of the "options" will essentially be standard features.

Shoot, leather seats were an "option" in the last GS, but I have yet to see a cloth seat GS.
Old 01-13-06 | 11:16 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

You guys have convinced me, I guess there won't be that many who want an LS 460 with ultra luxe who wouldn't want to get the LS 460L with ultra luxe instead. Does Mercedes do this--making its standard wheelbase versions less plush than their long wheelbase ones? What about those who live in crowded neighborhoods, or want a successor to their LS 430 Ultra Luxe but don't need the added length? I guess they're not enough...so, ok, you want Ultra Luxe...get the LWB.

However, I still think that Lexus would be best off leaving the LS 460 as complete as possible. For instance, I think the GS comes with bluetooth standard (at least several other lower-tier luxury makes have bluetooth standard), but the LS 460 has it optional.

Yeah, the 20GB Ipod is listed as taking in 5,000 songs, so its going to need high compression or low quality or something to take 4,000.
yeah, i guess another better way to say what i think is that the new ls is not shifting its window to more upscale group of people, but instead trying to widen its window to capture more people. on the "low-end" there is still the normal ls460 for the current owners, but there are the ls460l fully loaded to capture those who are "stuck" with the 750il and s500 fully loaded

and about bluetooth, i thought it's integrated with nav right? i don't think nav is standard on the gs430 now? although virtually all gs430 comes with it, thus making the bluetooth sounds "standard"?

Originally Posted by spwolf
i dont think that means LS460 wont have enough luxury options, it is just that it wont have those super duper armchairs and few features associated with it...

There are plenty of other features that are not shown to the press yet too...
yeah i thought so too, but surprisingly i have seen quite a few ls430 on the road now without nav. the reason why? that's beyond me
Old 01-13-06 | 11:38 AM
encore888
Lexus Champion

and about bluetooth, i thought it's integrated with nav right? i don't think nav is standard on the gs430 now? although virtually all gs430 comes with it, thus making the bluetooth sounds "standard"?
To note, ALL 3GS sedans come with touchscreen, NAVI or not, and it seems bluetooth also...I imagine ALL 4LS sedans will come with touchscreen...this time around (no more LS 430's w/o touchscreen!)
Old 01-13-06 | 11:46 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

To note, ALL 3GS sedans come with touchscreen, NAVI or not, and it seems bluetooth also...I imagine ALL 4LS sedans will come with touchscreen...this time around (no more LS 430's w/o touchscreen!)
ah gotcha, thanks for teh correction. so all gs comes with touch screen (nav or not is another issue) and it has bluetooth huh? umm if that's the case for the 3gs, then i have to say it's stupid if the 4ls don't

Quick Reply: LS 600H press Conference Live 9:25 a.m. on Wednesday, April 12, 2006 pg52