LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

LS 600H press Conference Live 9:25 a.m. on Wednesday, April 12, 2006 pg52

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-06, 04:52 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by enigma354
The LS backseat has become a pleasure palace...I think it wouldn't be too unusual to have ppl wanting to give the wheel over to someone else for awhile just to indulge in a little 'relaxation session' in the back.
I wonder why Lexus can't give the front seat driver and passenger the same level of indulgence. After all, many LS buyers drive the cars themselves. I don't see how letting the driver get massaged a little bit is dangerous to driving. The S-Class has had this feature for quite a while. Why Lexus insists that only the VIP seat gets the best of everything is beyond me.
Old 02-21-06, 05:00 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by XeroK00L
I wonder why Lexus can't give the front seat driver and passenger the same level of indulgence. After all, many LS buyers drive the cars themselves. I don't see how letting the driver get massaged a little bit is dangerous to driving. The S-Class has had this feature for quite a while. Why Lexus insists that only the VIP seat gets the best of everything is beyond me.
If I'm really tired and I turn on the heat with shiatsu massage, I'll probably fall asleep within five minutes. That's why it's best to leave the rest and relaxation for the passengers; otherwise, it's best to entertain and excite the driver.
Old 02-21-06, 05:00 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I too feel that the front passenger at least should get some extras (the ol' MEMORY issue!)

But at the same time, I wouldn't want a massager for the driver. Too distracting.
Old 02-21-06, 05:54 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
If I'm really tired and I turn on the heat with shiatsu massage, I'll probably fall asleep within five minutes. That's why it's best to leave the rest and relaxation for the passengers; otherwise, it's best to entertain and excite the driver.
Hmm about making the driver comfortable... I don't see what's so wrong to make the driver comfortable and not easily strained from driving. We're talking about a luxury cruiser and not a race car after all. And if anything a massager stimulates me more than it puts me to sleep.
Originally Posted by enigma354
But at the same time, I wouldn't want a massager for the driver. Too distracting.
About distraction... It's not like your brain needs to react to the massager, and that the massager is constantly sending you some secret codes through its pulses for you to decipher. I don't see how it's more distracting than listening to a car radio or talking to a passenger.
Old 02-21-06, 06:10 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmm about making the driver comfortable... I don't see what's so wrong to make the driver comfortable and not easily strained from driving. We're talking about a luxury cruiser and not a race car after all. And if anything a massager stimulates me more than it puts me to sleep.About distraction... It's not like your brain needs to react to the massager, and that the massager is constantly sending you some secret codes through its pulses for you to decipher. I don't see how it's more distracting than listening to a car radio or talking to a passenger.
Hard to argue either way. I can see the argument of a distraction but as long as the toys have power switches no one will hold a gun to your head to turn the seat massagers on. I may be an old fart but I still buy the car for the experience from the front left seat and I wouldn't make a purchase decision based on foot rests in the rear. But that's why they make so many models. Now if they would just pull the thumb out with that doggoned price list.....
Old 02-21-06, 06:19 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

I still doubt Lexus would offer the new LS460 with the same kind of flexibility in options packaging as the S class. For the S class, they will let you choose the exact combination of options you want & factory order it as long as you're willing to wait. You want front seat massagers, you pay for it.

I think Lexus would group options together in predetermined packages as usual, so maybe they don't think enough people would want driver/front seat massagers. I think Lexus still wants to price the LS significantly lower than a comparable S class, so including less popular options in their packages would increase the price of the cars too much.

I for one would be unwilling to pay for driver seat massagers even with the UL trim & would hate to be forced to pay for them with the other goodies that I want for the UL package.

The LS may be overall a better car than the S class, especially for the money, but the Mercedes brand name can still command a higher price. They can offer more options to make the car really expensive & can still find people willing to pay for it.

Let's face it, Lexus will not have the same options available as an S class in a while yet, the absense of front/drivers massagers availability is less significant compared to the absense of supercharged/turbocharged V8's & V12's to choose from. Even the LS600h will not generate the 600+ hp & 700 lb.feet of peak torque of a S65.

Last edited by Gojirra99; 02-21-06 at 06:33 PM.
Old 02-21-06, 06:56 PM
GS3rdwow
Lead Lap

What you guys have to understand is lexus is not in the horsepower game. They never have. Their mission and vision of their enterprise has always been the same - to maintain their luxury class leadership. They have done it. They will continue to do it. Its not about packing horsepower or torque. Its about leading the automotive industry in world craftsmasnahip an dluxury.

Jim Press is not stressing the importance of winning the war with Mercedes with fellow mates like Bob Carter or Mark Templin ...but stressing the need to position Lexus even stronger by focusing on the divisions core competencies.

Lexus has and will continue to dominate - becasue their focus is winning the luxury customer - the luxury market buyer. They know what these buyers are wanting. They do not want a 700HP luxury car. Only about 1% of the market willa ctually go for that. The true marksmanship of a fighter is the inner strength he possesses -the core competency. For lexus it has been their luxury and world class build quality fit and finish and their dedicationt o providing this for thier customers and potential clientele....

the LS, GS, IS, ES all command the purpose for Lexus's strategy. To buold abolsutely beautiful world class quality cars that give the driver what he wants..... luxury - comfort...quality and reliability.

Perhaps the S class will offer more options..im sure it will. Perhaps its traditional techno gadgetry and customer base will contnue to support Mercedes's efforts....but the fact of the matter is - Lexus has never been engaged in the horsepower game...they are in the true luxury intoxication game by providing the most refinement in automove luxury one can imagine combined with superior build craftsmasnshp and finishing. This is the true mark of a luxury automotive maker. Look at the BMW interiors and quality...absolutely horrendous.

their strategic decisions with option pacakges are carefully evaluated and assessed befor ebundled...becasue its what CUSTOMERS want...the Lexus strategy has always been what CUSTOMERS want and now its more clear than ever - that they have injected their core philosophy with the brand image with the new LS...

hence Jim Press quotes... "The car our CUSTOMERS will say is defnitely the best". The last thign on Jim's mind is what to do with optin package offerings and horsepower like the S class... take the new R class SUV from mercedes..who in the hell wud buy an AMG package with that kind of vehicle? its a family van for crying out loud!!! Why on earth wud u make an AMG in that?

You see guys? mercedes tries to stomp lexus with its horsepower game...by putting all these perofromance focused engines in the most ridiculous of their model lineup...in fact all of them. It doesnt make sense... Mercedes dont think about what will generate sales and hat customers are REALLY wanting.

Im not a represeantative for lexus...nor do i have any inside connection ...bt all i will say is that im no fan boy or anything. Im a member of the public just like you guys...

But I do know what the strength of an automobile is..Lexus knows on how to capitlaize on its strength..the other car manufacturers focus on oblivious things that dont spark the genuine need for the luxry car buyer.
Old 02-21-06, 07:04 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

I'll take drivers seat massagers. It can rub my back all day everyday. Hmmm....i dont know, maybe its not as intrusive as some make it seem to be.

Originally Posted by Caranddriver.com
and there’s even a vigorous Magic Fingers option that feels like small pine logs rolling slowly down the sluiceway that is your spine.
Its an option, not like it comes with every S-class, plus you can turn it off. I like the idea, I definitely would want it.

But what I want more than that are those Active Seats that pump air into the side bolsters to keep you in your seat when making a turn. That I think is a great idea.
http://www.caranddriver.com/article....&page_number=1
Old 02-21-06, 07:14 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

I agree core-competency is the most important & am glad that lexus is focused on that
However, the top end Mercedes model including th AMG/ V12 models are not just about crazy hp that few people need (aside from bragging rights, which is important to some luxury car buyers ). They have an active suspension (Active Body Control) that Lexus have yet an answer for. It enables these heavy cars loaded with equipment to corner flat & handle very well.
The SL/CL comes standard with them, as well as the S55/600/65, & is an option available for the S550.
Lexus has not revealed all the technical details of the LS460 yet, but one of the item I'm most interested in is what kind of suspension upgrades will the new car get.
Old 02-21-06, 07:51 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexArazzo
I agree core-competency is the most important & am glad that lexus is focused on that
However, the top end Mercedes model including th AMG/ V12 models are not just about crazy hp that few people need (aside from bragging rights, which is important to some luxury car buyers ). They have an active suspension (Active Body Control) that Lexus have yet an answer for. It enables these heavy cars loaded with equipment to corner flat & handle very well.
The SL/CL comes standard with them, as well as the S55/600/65, & is an option available for the S550.
Lexus has not revealed all the technical details of the LS460 yet, but one of the item I'm most interested in is what kind of suspension upgrades will the new car get.
There is no point to be jumping to conclusions about the new LS when we barely know anything about it, compared to knowing a ton about the new S Class.

Mercedes offers certain things that Lexus does not offer, and that goes the other way around. For example, none of the "Big 3" German premium makers offer 45 degree reclining rear seats and an ottoman package in their flagship sedans like the new LS will. To get those kind of features in a luxury sedan, you have to move up to a Maybach or RR Phantom.

The new S Class does not offer a 19 speaker audio system. The new S Class, while still early to say, is unlikely to match the quality and durability of the LS.

Speaking of the new S Class, I examined it today at the autoshow, and suffice to say, I wasn't too impressed. Exterior-wise, the tacky fenders were not as pronounced, although the black demo vehicle concealed them well. Overall its an attractive car, reminiscent of a Lexus from the front, and a Maybach in the rear. The fenders make it look too sporty though, and that's the biggest problem with the new S Class: the fact that it lacks elegance, and the presence the previous model has. This model has presence, but more of a sporty aggressive presence, not exactly a presence an automaker would want for it's flagship luxury sedan. Interior-wise, the seats are comfortable, but the interior itself is very stark, and actually felt depressing. So much must be accessed through the COMMAND system, and ease of use or intuitiveness in the interior was low. Interior materials; some were good, some were dissapointing, and some were decent. The fit and finish was also a mixed bag for this car. It's a slight improvement over the outgoing S Class, but not a big one by any means. The LS still has a higher quality interior, and I believe the new LS will comfortably hold that lead. By comparison, the Audi A8 I sat in had a better quality interior than the S Class. The design of the new S Class makes the car look and feel smaller from the outside than it actually is, and that's one of the things which hampers it's presence.

Getting back on topic, I also saw the new LS, but was not allowed to come close to it, or sit in it. It was the LWB model, with the rear ottoman package. Suffice to say, it looked wonderful. It has a very bold and elegant presence. The integrated exhausts were just stunning to me, as well as the rear. The interior looked incredible, and very inviting and a happy place to be. The car looked very bold with the 18" 5 spoke rims. The car seemed to look bigger and longer than it actually was, or at least I think so.
Old 02-21-06, 08:25 PM
GS3rdwow
Lead Lap

I sat in the new LS while it was on the platform at a recent autoshow i went to..i was the only person i know of besides the product specialiasts that touched and sat in the car.

It is the ultimate epitome of beauty and luxury. When you sit in the driver seat, you do not want to be moved anywhere.

There is not one car in this decade that has come close to an interior as mesmerizing as the new LS 460's.

Period.
Old 02-21-06, 10:42 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by RON430
Rear entertainment I am still AD/DC on, especially without knowing price. I don't see me ever using it and it is just a lot of dollars for something to haul around that might break. Are the foot rests and massage seat in the rear the kind of thing that would really make you lay out 85 or 90 or whatever it ends up being for the LWB? Just curious.

I wouldn't mind the space in the rear for the rare occasions I do carry somebody but I have a hard enough time crawling around the GSs in the garage now. If the LWB wouldn't fit in my Cali garage I would be one unhappy camper if I laid out the bucks for it. And, like I said, I sure would not feel embarassed having people ride in the back of the SWB version as shown in the pictures.
well seriously, all the gadgets in the back, i don't think i am going to enjoy much of it, but it's just cool to have factors. i don't see myself tearing the car apart to put in all the audio stuff, imho that's a waste of time and you do a lot to achieve something where stock with ml system can achieve 90% already. i'd rather pay the money. no clue on how much you can incline the seats in the back, but i dont' think it's going to be major. still, once in a while it's nice to be in the back

and seriously, if you can't fit the lwb version in your garage, i dont' care where you are, you probably shouldn't own that car

personally i would definitely NOT want the massage feature on the driver seat. that's jsut way too dangerous. however, having those kind of luxury to the front passenger seat though, that, i dont' see why not
Old 02-21-06, 11:11 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rominl
well seriously, all the gadgets in the back, i don't think i am going to enjoy much of it, but it's just cool to have factors. i don't see myself tearing the car apart to put in all the audio stuff, imho that's a waste of time and you do a lot to achieve something where stock with ml system can achieve 90% already. i'd rather pay the money. no clue on how much you can incline the seats in the back, but i dont' think it's going to be major. still, once in a while it's nice to be in the back

and seriously, if you can't fit the lwb version in your garage, i dont' care where you are, you probably shouldn't own that car
Gee, nice to have a dose of reality interjected from someone else that might really be a buyer of one of these. One of the things that irritates me about the euros is this preoccupation with options. Before those of you who will rightly point out that it is nice to have it your way, I don't like putting 20% or more of the price of a car in options. Lexus has in most instances stayed away from that and I think the SWB LS looks fine to me. I guess if I can fit a Town Car in my garage I could fit a LWB LS. But I think I read something strange about the LWB version, something like it is 120mm longer in wheelbase but only 20mm longer in overall length. I guess I wrote that off to being pre intro confusion. But this will not be easy in probably 2008 for me. I think the new S is too expensive for what it offers but I will probably take a close look at the new 7 which they are now saying will be out around then. Probably going to be one of the two.
Old 02-23-06, 10:49 PM
LEXUS FAN!
Lead Lap

i just noticed, but...

is the door handle chrome or the same color as the car?...i hope it isn't chrome, and if it is, i hope it is only partial
Old 02-23-06, 11:14 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by GS3rdwow
What you guys have to understand is lexus is not in the horsepower game. They never have. Their mission and vision of their enterprise has always been the same - to maintain their luxury class leadership. They have done it. They will continue to do it. Its not about packing horsepower or torque. Its about leading the automotive industry in world craftsmasnahip an dluxury.

Jim Press is not stressing the importance of winning the war with Mercedes with fellow mates like Bob Carter or Mark Templin ...but stressing the need to position Lexus even stronger by focusing on the divisions core competencies.

Lexus has and will continue to dominate - becasue their focus is winning the luxury customer - the luxury market buyer. They know what these buyers are wanting. They do not want a 700HP luxury car. Only about 1% of the market willa ctually go for that. The true marksmanship of a fighter is the inner strength he possesses -the core competency. For lexus it has been their luxury and world class build quality fit and finish and their dedicationt o providing this for thier customers and potential clientele....

the LS, GS, IS, ES all command the purpose for Lexus's strategy. To buold abolsutely beautiful world class quality cars that give the driver what he wants..... luxury - comfort...quality and reliability.

Perhaps the S class will offer more options..im sure it will. Perhaps its traditional techno gadgetry and customer base will contnue to support Mercedes's efforts....but the fact of the matter is - Lexus has never been engaged in the horsepower game...they are in the true luxury intoxication game by providing the most refinement in automove luxury one can imagine combined with superior build craftsmasnshp and finishing. This is the true mark of a luxury automotive maker. Look at the BMW interiors and quality...absolutely horrendous.

their strategic decisions with option pacakges are carefully evaluated and assessed befor ebundled...becasue its what CUSTOMERS want...the Lexus strategy has always been what CUSTOMERS want and now its more clear than ever - that they have injected their core philosophy with the brand image with the new LS...

hence Jim Press quotes... "The car our CUSTOMERS will say is defnitely the best". The last thign on Jim's mind is what to do with optin package offerings and horsepower like the S class... take the new R class SUV from mercedes..who in the hell wud buy an AMG package with that kind of vehicle? its a family van for crying out loud!!! Why on earth wud u make an AMG in that?

You see guys? mercedes tries to stomp lexus with its horsepower game...by putting all these perofromance focused engines in the most ridiculous of their model lineup...in fact all of them. It doesnt make sense... Mercedes dont think about what will generate sales and hat customers are REALLY wanting.

Im not a represeantative for lexus...nor do i have any inside connection ...bt all i will say is that im no fan boy or anything. Im a member of the public just like you guys...

But I do know what the strength of an automobile is..Lexus knows on how to capitlaize on its strength..the other car manufacturers focus on oblivious things that dont spark the genuine need for the luxry car buyer.

Danny Clements stated in a press conference before all these new releases, Lexus is happy with the LS, hell 36k customers a year, most in class, cannot be wrong. However, they know they must continue to evolve and grow and attract new customers, without pissing off current ones.

I think the new LS has done this very well looking at the kit and pics. More luxury, more power, better looks. I bet it won't handle like a Ferrari but be comeptant, quiet and problem free.

I think 2 things will keep current LS owners happy and attact new buyers, the styling and the additional power.

Lets face it, luxury buyers will not turn down more power, especially with the same or better gas mileage.

Lexus with a stil small 4.6 V-8 will make more or comparable power than a Benz 5.5 and a BMW 4.8 with better gas mileage.

The LS looks better. Yes, it shares some 7 cues, but not the UGLY ones.

So think
BMw owners that want a stylish car that actually works, will now give the LS a chance

Benz owners have given Lexus that chance for 15 years now and continue to do so.

With L and a 600h coming, it only gets better.

This is one of those cases where a company NOT TAKING HUGE RISKS is a plus.

Quick Reply: LS 600H press Conference Live 9:25 a.m. on Wednesday, April 12, 2006 pg52