LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

LS 600H press Conference Live 9:25 a.m. on Wednesday, April 12, 2006 pg52

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-06 | 10:43 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

To comment about the safety features, I must admit even myself, being a big Lexus fan, am shocked that Lexus has such advanced safety features in the car.

I mean lets summarize what the new safety features bring to the table:

- active headrests that move in the event of a collision, specifically rear end collisions.
- rear end pre crash system, using radar to monitor any incoming rear end collisions. One of the world's first features.
- front pre-crash safety system: also using both cameras and radar to monitor objects and pedestrians, so both can be avoided. The second world's first feature. Also, to answer some doubts people seem to have, the system ALSO works at night, detecting and monitoring both objects and pedestrians.
- driver monitoring system: a camera constantly watches the driver's face, and if it senses the driver is not paying attention for a certain amount of time, or if the pre-crash system senses and incoming collision, it alerts the driver, and also prepares the variable steering for emergency maneouvers. This is the last world's first feature.

THREE world's first technologies, and this is ONLY in safety!

I am most shocked by the driver monitoring system, as I never expected that would be on the new LS.

Even compared with the new S Class, this car is a BIG step forward. To be honest, the new S Class does not offer a whole lot over the current LS, but the new LS takes a step beyond the S Class in many areas.

Forget cars like the STS, or RL. These cars are outclassed by the current LS, but the new LS simply leaves them in the dust.

Toyota REALLY was NOT kidding when they said it would be 1989 all over again.

Mercedes and BMW officials at Geneva right now must be going crazy on their phones talking to HQ.

Also, I count 10 airbags so far on the new LS. The LS also has a "low speed" adaptive cruise control, likely for stop and go traffic.

Something else is that the new LS, along with GS450h will have a second generation VDIM system, apparently improved over the current implementation. I wonder what it will bring.

Remember, still many features of the new LS are still unannounced. But I am REALLY excited about this car. SO much cutting edge technology, and Lexus promises higher quality, and craftsmanship than ever before. Simply incredible. The pursuit of perfection is still alive and well .

Last edited by TRDFantasy; 02-28-06 at 10:50 AM.
Old 02-28-06 | 12:13 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

^^^
Agreed on the amazing safety tech. Only thing missing is infrared Night View, but perhaps they'll have that available for the refresh.

It seems this time around, Lexus is packing in the 'cool, revolutionary' new features in...quite impressive.

As for the Cd, I was hoping Lexus could lower it, but frankly its already the lowest for any sedan in America, the typical LS 430 has 0.26 and you'll never get it down to 0 (no car), so the LS 460 matching that at 0.26 is still excellent and best in class.

And isn't Lexus typically conservative in its estimates? Better than overpromising and underdelivering...Lexus will meet or beat what its preliminary specs say, I believe.
Old 02-28-06 | 01:40 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

Originally Posted by LexArazzo
It's 5.7 0-100 kmph
i know, read my post.... that's why i said 0-60 in my post at 5.7 too

0-100kmph is about 0-62mph, close enough to be in the same talk.
Old 02-28-06 | 01:44 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Wow, why are you people dissapointed by every single little thing? You take everything so literally and explicitly . Do you believe everything Bush says too?

This isn't an insult aimed at anyone, but it's frustrating to see a lack of common sense here.
No, it was an insult aimed 'you people'. And what does this have to do with the U.S. President? You seem to take any criticism of Lexus or Toyota as a personal insult.

When Lexus said it will be "under 5.5 sec", Lexus MEANS it WILL BE under 5.5 sec.

0 - 100kpm in 5.7s would equate to around 5.5sec
100kph as you know is about 62mph so I doubt going the 2mph extra will take two tenths unless there's a gear change, so your assumption may not hold at all.

but even then, it's *preliminary* specs.
Agreed.

Besides, the most interesting figure on that chart is the 0 - 400m time . For those of you that are unsure what that is, it's basically the 1/4 mile time. 13.8 sec based on "preliminary" estimates. That means the new LS is a guaranteed 13 sec car out of the box .
That would be awesome.
Old 02-28-06 | 01:49 PM
Vladi
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
100kph as you know is about 62mph so I doubt going the 2mph extra will take two tenths unless there's a gear change, so your assumption may not hold at all.

Believe me sometimes those extra 2mph measured as much as 0.3 sec. I am not kidding.
Old 02-28-06 | 02:53 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by rominl
i know, read my post.... that's why i said 0-60 in my post at 5.7 too

0-100kmph is about 0-62mph, close enough to be in the same talk.
Yes, I just noticed you said slightly under 5.7 when I re-read, so that close enough
Old 02-28-06 | 03:11 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Beauty pics and video of the New LS at the Lexus Europe Geneva pages...

the video is part of the one on Lexus.jp, but one has a different 'start button' intro:

http://www.lexus-europe.com/index.asp
Old 02-28-06 | 03:20 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Vladi
Believe me sometimes those extra 2mph measured as much as 0.3 sec. I am not kidding.
Yes, I agree a ~ 0.2 sec. difference should be a pretty reasonable assumption based on observations from many other cars .
Old 02-28-06 | 03:50 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
No, it was an insult aimed 'you people'. And what does this have to do with the U.S. President? You seem to take any criticism of Lexus or Toyota as a personal insult.
Why are you taking things so personally? I just said it was not an insult, but you still took it as one anyways.

My point was that some people take press releases so literally, and for every word, and don't seem to use common sense, like realizing some of these specs are preliminary, and are estimates.
Old 02-28-06 | 04:03 PM
drink300
Lexus Champion

I personally think it's a good idea to critique and criticize Lexus. We never want to become like the guys who post on AutoSpies and MBWorld.org. They have become totally one-sided and myopic in their viewpoints.

We should always praise Lexus, but be realistic with the brand and criticize when it is necessary.

drink300
2003 LS430 Parch/Ecru Custom Lux
Old 02-28-06 | 06:15 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by drink300
I personally think it's a good idea to critique and criticize Lexus. We never want to become like the guys who post on AutoSpies and MBWorld.org. They have become totally one-sided and myopic in their viewpoints.

We should always praise Lexus, but be realistic with the brand and criticize when it is necessary.

drink300
I understand your point, but why critisize when we don't have all the information available to us, and the information we do have is mostly estimates and preliminary specs? Criticizing in this context makes us no better than people at autospies, or MBWorld.org, or GMI, etc.
Old 02-28-06 | 07:28 PM
h2o_247
Driver

Originally Posted by enigma354
BTW does anyone know if the New LS will have passenger seat memory settings? I don't see any in the pics.

Yet the SC/GS/IS/ES all have it.
Here is a pic with the passenger seat memory settings.

felix

picture obtained from http://www.lexus-europe.com/about_le...60_gallery.asp
Attached Thumbnails LS 600H press Conference Live 9:25 a.m. on Wednesday, April 12, 2006 pg52-1.jpg  
Old 02-28-06 | 07:42 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by h2o_247
Here is a pic with the passenger seat memory settings.

felix

picture obtained from http://www.lexus-europe.com/about_le...60_gallery.asp
Sharp eyes you have.

So the front passenger memory seat is optional? Or only the European model gets it? Or just that the previous show cars were all pre-production prototypes missing a few pieces of standard equipment?
Old 02-28-06 | 07:44 PM
drink300
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
I understand your point, but why critisize when we don't have all the information available to us, and the information we do have is mostly estimates and preliminary specs? Criticizing in this context makes us no better than people at autospies, or MBWorld.org, or GMI, etc.
True...good point. I think many times, the excitement just gets to us and we have to vent when we perceive that a much anticipated option might not be available as expected...

drink300
Old 03-01-06 | 02:59 AM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Just in...some pics at Geneva...the Geneva official site has 3 or 4...Autospies has more.

This is an interesting pic, back to the steering wheel buttons h2o_247 mentioned. Looks like the left includes Park Mode which is likely the Intelligent Parking Assist (Auto Park). The right still is difficult to make out...

And note the Infrared sensor above the steering wheel--for the driver eyesight monitor, no doubt!
Attached Thumbnails LS 600H press Conference Live 9:25 a.m. on Wednesday, April 12, 2006 pg52-ls-wheel.jpg  

Quick Reply: LS 600H press Conference Live 9:25 a.m. on Wednesday, April 12, 2006 pg52