LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

PR: Lexus Reveals Fourth-Generation LS 460 Flagship Sedan

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-06, 10:50 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GRAND_LS 4
They still do and then some:
S350.
S430.
S500 then its going to be 550 (Next Year).
S600.
S55.
S65.
True, there is still 3/4/5/6, but there used to be short and long wheelbase versions for nearly all levels offered in the US
(out of possible 300 SE, 300 SEL, 400 SE, 400 SEL, 500 SE, 500 SEL, 600 SE and 600 SEL), at least several of which have been dropped in US marketing. Of course, the LS 430 at just one engine type and body length, outsells them all combined.

Originally Posted by DallasLex
It's amazing how the L-Finesse concept sets the new breed of Lexus apart. They are both works of art.
All gorgeous, to me. The 'giant IS' thing works well for the LS, although with size it loses the coupe-like ambience of the IS.

Last edited by encore888; 01-11-06 at 01:35 AM.
Old 01-10-06, 11:04 PM
DallasLex
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by enigma354
All gorgeous, to me. The 'giant IS' thing works well for the LS, although with size it loses the coupe-like ambience of the IS.
That's exactly why I posted the 2 together so everyone could see the lineage. I would have to reserve judgment on the ambiance until I test drive it, but you're right; the LS is made to be less sporty and more flagship luxury oriented...ie. 750IL.
Old 01-11-06, 12:12 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Although I was very lukewarm about the GS, the new IS and LS will probably keep me in the Lexus family when I am ready for a change.
Old 01-11-06, 12:21 AM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Although the resemblance is far closer to the IS, there are a few hints of the GS...for instance at this angle, the rear and the front have some similarities.
Attached Thumbnails PR: Lexus Reveals Fourth-Generation LS 460 Flagship Sedan-waterfall.jpg  
Old 01-11-06, 12:47 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by enigma354
Although the resemblance is far closer to the IS, there are a few hints of the GS...for instance at this angle, the rear and the front have some similarities.
Well, they should all have hints of each other since they are all based on the L-Finesse idea. It comes down to how well executed the designs are.
Old 01-11-06, 07:25 AM
Toyota_F1
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS460L Rump

And here's a shot of the back that's not so close up...I'm still waiting to see something I don't like here. And I'm really waiting to see someone stuff this 4.6 into an IS...
Old 01-11-06, 09:34 AM
caffeine
Rookie

Default Hmm...

I noticed that the car is now a 4 seater instead of a 5. Although being RWD the hump in the back really never allowed this car to be a 5 seater anyways. As a current LS400 owner, I am definetely excited to see this car in person and am glad that Lexus continues to outdo itself. But I cannot at this time say 100% if this car will be better than the new S-Class. I will be attending the LA Autoshow this weekend and wish that I could see both cars side by side as I have compared the older models. Which hands down the old LS430 beat the S500 when it came to comfort and design of the interior. The exterior styling of the S-class was imo slightly nicer than the LS430 though.

I can't wait to see how the new LS460 compares! (although logically remaining a lexus owner would be a better investment either way)
Old 01-11-06, 10:02 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 218 Likes on 146 Posts

The new S class' s exterior design is more daring & aggressive, so it will be a little more eye-catching in that sense than the new LS. I don't think the new S is as nice looking as the current S class though, whether you like it better than the new LS is a matter of taste, but the LS is definitely more understated, however, it's still the nicest LS to date to me.
Old 01-11-06, 10:58 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 470 Likes on 362 Posts

I really like the long stretch rear door window look. The simple one piece they used in the LS400 was appealing. They lost it a bit with the 430 and it's back in the 460. The rear fascia is getting kinda chunky, this seems to be a trend in styling as other cars are similar.

This car will be sick with air suspension and 22's. BTW...haven't read all the specs, what is the proposed stock tire/wheel combo?
Old 01-11-06, 11:11 AM
Bercasio
Pole Position

Originally Posted by caffeine
I noticed that the car is now a 4 seater instead of a 5. Although being RWD the hump in the back really never allowed this car to be a 5 seater anyways. As a current LS400 owner, I am definetely excited to see this car in person and am glad that Lexus continues to outdo itself. But I cannot at this time say 100% if this car will be better than the new S-Class. I will be attending the LA Autoshow this weekend and wish that I could see both cars side by side as I have compared the older models. Which hands down the old LS430 beat the S500 when it came to comfort and design of the interior. The exterior styling of the S-class was imo slightly nicer than the LS430 though.

I can't wait to see how the new LS460 compares! (although logically remaining a lexus owner would be a better investment either way)
The LS has been known to have the lowest coefficient drag, even the exoctics can't compare. And the S-Class and 7 series do not even come close to low C/D, so when it comes to styling and low coefficient drag, Lexus has done their job in executing this. And yes I too agree that MB S Class has that so called "sexier" exterior, but I guess when we ask who takes the cake when it comes to engineering perfection? Lexus all the way, remember Lexus has been in the luxury game for only 16 years and counting forever, so it just gets better from here.... and besides once we get to see this in person and in motion, we have much better things to say in the end!
Old 01-11-06, 01:16 PM
Toyota_F1
Pole Position

Remember too that most of these shots out are of the long wheel base version... that's nearly 5 extra inches stretched through the back of the car. That's a big difference and I want to see a side profile and rear 3/4 shot of each side by side.
Old 01-11-06, 03:54 PM
DallasLex
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Here's a backseat comparison:
Attached Thumbnails PR: Lexus Reveals Fourth-Generation LS 460 Flagship Sedan-2007-ls460-beige-back-int.jpg  
Old 01-12-06, 05:54 AM
BDiccus
Driver School Candidate

I love it but...

Doesn't the rear end look like a cross between the Acura and the BMW? Especially the Acura with the tail pipe opening integrated into the bumper.

I've noticed a lot of auto makers copying that style. Have you seen the Huyndai and the Kia?
Old 01-12-06, 07:45 AM
jtparkes
Rookie

According to the Wall Street Journal January 9 article on the new LS460, the MSRP will be over $70,000. For those of you without calculators thats about a 23% increase, and takes away the LS430's big price advantage over the Mercedes and BMW.

Also, very was very disheartened to read this in the WSJ article:
"The new Lexus LS 460, with a sportier design and increased horsepower, demonstrates the Japanese brand's shift of competitive focus away from DaimlerChrysler AG's Mercedes-Benz and toward BMW AG's "ultimate driving machine" image."

Some of us liked the LS because it was quiet, comfortable and elegant - like the Mercedes it was aiming at. BMW is very sporting but well behind in these other areas. I think if they go after agressive performance and let the comfort, quietude and elegance slip (and jack up the price $14grand) it is a big mistake, and is turning its back on the qualities that make the LS such a wonderful car.

From a practical standpoint, jacking up the price $14K is going to put it out of the range of a lot more people. You'll probably be looking at paying $50grand to get a 4-year old used one .

Last edited by jtparkes; 01-12-06 at 08:09 AM.
Old 01-12-06, 07:54 AM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 337 Likes on 290 Posts

Originally Posted by BDiccus
I love it but...

Doesn't the rear end look like a cross between the Acura and the BMW? Especially the Acura with the tail pipe opening integrated into the bumper.

I've noticed a lot of auto makers copying that style. Have you seen the Huyndai and the Kia?
i like the rear bumper it makes it look more aggressive

Quick Reply: PR: Lexus Reveals Fourth-Generation LS 460 Flagship Sedan