LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

WHY toyota...WHY?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-06, 06:15 PM
dfkd
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by xknowonex
Ok, if u wanna defend Lexus, u can also say that most of Benz line look alot alike

YUP they do...and we all look like our dads a bit too don't we...Family resemblace is normal.
Old 01-14-06, 07:00 PM
EIF
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dfkd
YUP they do...and we all look like our dads a bit too don't we...Family resemblace is normal.
I hope all of us look a little bit like our fathers; and not like the mailman!
Old 01-14-06, 08:51 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by sha4000
most everyone buys a luxury car so they can stand out in one way or another, so its complete bull when they say that they dont care if it looks like a car thats 40k less even if its a reliable toyota
Well, everyone is different. I won't lie. I buy a Lexus for the marque. As a fringe benefit , it is a fantastic car. If I had $ to spare, would I spend to get an LS vs a Camry. No doubt. If I did not, would I get a Camry since it is close enough to an LS? Nope.

I take a car as a whole. (I won't go into the tech/power/engine/... differences since we are talking about how they look.) With Lexus, it is in the details: the details of the interior, the details of fit and finish, ... The doors are different. the whole exterior flow is different. I can keep on going but look at the two cars a bit closer and you'll get the idea. Will the average owner see the difference? Probably not. I will know and that is enough for me. You are paying more to get all these "extras". Whether or not it is worth it to you, you will have to make the call. To me, it is.
Old 01-14-06, 10:01 PM
bluestar
Lexus Fanatic

Default Where's the Similarity ?

LS460 rear shot
Attached Thumbnails WHY toyota...WHY?-ls460-rear.jpg  
Old 01-14-06, 10:02 PM
bluestar
Lexus Fanatic

2007 Camry rear shot
Attached Thumbnails WHY toyota...WHY?-rear-camry.jpg  
Old 01-14-06, 11:42 PM
capture1
Driver School Candidate

Yes, there are similarities between the Toyota and Lexus. Makes me wonder what the new ES will look like? Even more LSish?
Old 01-15-06, 10:55 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Neo
Well, everyone is different. I won't lie. I buy a Lexus for the marque. As a fringe benefit , it is a fantastic car. If I had $ to spare, would I spend to get an LS vs a Camry. No doubt. If I did not, would I get a Camry since it is close enough to an LS? Nope.

I take a car as a whole. (I won't go into the tech/power/engine/... differences since we are talking about how they look.) With Lexus, it is in the details: the details of the interior, the details of fit and finish, ... The doors are different. the whole exterior flow is different. I can keep on going but look at the two cars a bit closer and you'll get the idea. Will the average owner see the difference? Probably not. I will know and that is enough for me. You are paying more to get all these "extras". Whether or not it is worth it to you, you will have to make the call. To me, it is.
i won't lie neither, i can care less if the ls looks like the camry (which i don't really think so). heck i don't even care that the sc430 looks like the solara now. i prefer toyota to make it more different, but that's about where it ends.

and yeah if you wanna talk about it, how about the s class looks similar to the c class? that's 30k to 160k (s600) difference.

like i said many times before, look alike? damn we are all on 4 wheels
Old 01-15-06, 11:40 AM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 337 Likes on 290 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
i won't lie neither, i can care less if the ls looks like the camry (which i don't really think so). heck i don't even care that the sc430 looks like the solara now. i prefer toyota to make it more different, but that's about where it ends.

and yeah if you wanna talk about it, how about the s class looks similar to the c class? that's 30k to 160k (s600) difference.

like i said many times before, look alike? damn we are all on 4 wheels
you guys are right, i actually dont mind the similarities its just that the poster had a point. most ppl cant even tell a gen1 from a gen2. its all the same toyota family so of course there will be similarities and if i had the $$$ i would still cop a 100k lex
Old 01-17-06, 02:09 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by sha4000
you guys are right, i actually dont mind the similarities its just that the poster had a point. most ppl cant even tell a gen1 from a gen2. its all the same toyota family so of course there will be similarities and if i had the $$$ i would still cop a 100k lex
ahhaa seriously, if i didn't join CL i wouldn't have known the difference between 1ls and 2ls

but back to point, i am not surprised if some owners they are paying the money to be different, and would be pissed if they think a lower class car looks similar to theirs.
Old 01-17-06, 09:30 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 222 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
but back to point, i am not surprised if some owners they are paying the money to be different, and would be pissed if they think a lower class car looks similar to theirs.
They don't seem to mind as much in Europe, when you look at some of the models that's even lower than those offered for the E class,etc., for example,here. Exact body style but they have 4 cylinders & diesels used as taxi's all over the place, that must make the owners of E55 feel extra special as far as looks is concerned
Old 01-17-06, 10:43 AM
1loudLX
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you could always get a big L emblem on your back window like those rice hondas do with the H emblem. That way you can make sure people dont confuse your lexus for a toyota, heaven forbid they figure out what a lexus really is.

I think they both look sexy and different enough.
$h!t i have a 2000 LX470, talk about looking like a landcruiser? I had the cops stop me one night because a kid in a 1999 Landcruiser had just run from them and they thought it was me. I told the cops that i am driving a LEXUS and the kids their looking for are in a TOYOTA...both cops looked at me like, uh whoops where dumbasses and said goodnight and left.

I personally wouldnt mind the camry looking like a LS, because after we trade our 05 in for the 07 and then happen to go on vacation, we can rent a car that looks alot like the one we have at home.

If the Camrys dont sell, it would hurt Lexus more than having people buy the camry because it looks like the LS.
Old 01-17-06, 10:50 AM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the post. Actually, I'm a little amazed how similar the rear lamps are between the two cars. Can't really see the resemblance in the other angles.

Post some interior comparisons between the LS and Camry...that should make potential LS owners happy
Old 01-17-06, 01:34 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by AmethySC
They don't seem to mind as much in Europe, when you look at some of the models that's even lower than those offered for the E class,etc., for example,here. Exact body style but they have 4 cylinders & diesels used as taxi's all over the place, that must make the owners of E55 feel extra special as far as looks is concerned
yeah, i noticed that too. personally it seems to be the case in asia and here (US and canada), you think?
Old 01-17-06, 02:37 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I personally can tell the difference between the two, but I do admit they are similar. This reminds me of a whole discussion we had here on Club Lexus when the 05 Acura RL came out. Seems like many here bashed it and called it an over grown Accord because of its similarities. I myself thought they looked similar but was completly differnt as well. Same with the Camry and LS. Very similar lines but different enough. It is posts like this when the true bias comes out. When Acura does it, it is crap. When Lexus does it, it is strengthening an image I personally think both rear ends are kind of odd looking anyway.

Comparing this to how Benz and BMW look similar is not apples to apples either. Those are the same brand. Supposedly Toyota and Lexus are separate right?
Old 01-17-06, 02:42 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 337 Likes on 290 Posts

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
I personally can tell the difference between the two, but I do admit they are similar. This reminds me of a whole discussion we had here on Club Lexus when the 05 Acura RL came out. Seems like many here bashed it and called it an over grown Accord because of its similarities. I myself thought they looked similar but was completly differnt as well. Same with the Camry and LS. Very similar lines but different enough. It is posts like this when the true bias comes out. When Acura does it, it is crap. When Lexus does it, it is strengthening an image I personally think both rear ends are kind of odd looking anyway.

Comparing this to how Benz and BMW look similar is not apples to apples either. Those are the same brand. Supposedly Toyota and Lexus are separate right?
you have a good point about how other manufacturers get bashed for doing the same thing

Quick Reply: WHY toyota...WHY?