LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

WHY toyota...WHY?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-06, 03:23 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
I personally can tell the difference between the two, but I do admit they are similar. This reminds me of a whole discussion we had here on Club Lexus when the 05 Acura RL came out. Seems like many here bashed it and called it an over grown Accord because of its similarities. I myself thought they looked similar but was completly differnt as well. Same with the Camry and LS. Very similar lines but different enough. It is posts like this when the true bias comes out. When Acura does it, it is crap. When Lexus does it, it is strengthening an image I personally think both rear ends are kind of odd looking anyway.

Comparing this to how Benz and BMW look similar is not apples to apples either. Those are the same brand. Supposedly Toyota and Lexus are separate right?
The RL well, is an overgrown Accord, based on their global platform.
The LS has NOTHING in common with the Camry.

Now onto looks, The Rl just doesn't have luxury car proportions, it looks like a FWD car. Even Audi and BMW now have long overhangs but their design teams keeps the RWD look. The LS has some cues with the Camry but the LS looks like a $70,000 car.

The Rl still looks like a $25,000 Accord, no presence whatsover.

Quite frankly, the 2 marques are at such different ends of the luxury car spectrum we shouldn't even compare them anymore.
Old 01-18-06, 01:56 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
The RL well, is an overgrown Accord, based on their global platform.
The LS has NOTHING in common with the Camry.

Now onto looks, The Rl just doesn't have luxury car proportions, it looks like a FWD car. Even Audi and BMW now have long overhangs but their design teams keeps the RWD look. The LS has some cues with the Camry but the LS looks like a $70,000 car.

The Rl still looks like a $25,000 Accord, no presence whatsover.

Quite frankly, the 2 marques are at such different ends of the luxury car spectrum we shouldn't even compare them anymore.
The RL may be built on the global platform that the Accord is also built from, but the two chassis are totally different. The RL feels absolutely nothing like the Accord in driving dynamics and interior feel and quality. The RL doesn't look like a $25K car, but maybe the Accord looks like a $50K car

Anyway, the point isn't about the virtues of one car or another. The point is how silly it is to fault Acura for having similar styling as a Honda and find every excuse to back that position up, yet defend Lexus for having Toyota styling and find every excuse to back that position up. The fact is as much as the RL looks like an Accord to some, so does the new LS look like a Camry. Why don't we stay consistent. If it is, it is. If it is not, it is not. Don't criticize one brand for something and praise another for doing the same thing. The excuse that Lexus can pull it off because they are a more luxurious name brand is just silly.

By the way, I wasn't comparing Acura to Lexus as you suggest. I'm comparing how some critique different brands differently with no consistancy. You say the new LS looks like a $70k car and I say it looks like a $25K Camry.
Old 01-18-06, 07:08 AM
jrock65
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"Toyota Australia executive director of marketing David Buttner says the new-look Camry carries a lot of styling cues from the Lexus. It has a similar bull-nosed bonnet, bold grille and lumpy rear end of the Lexus LS460, which was unveiled the previous day."

http://carsguide.news.com.au/story/0...-21822,00.html

A Toyota exec has already said that the 2007 Camry and 2007 LS460 are styled similarly.

Last edited by jrock65; 01-18-06 at 07:20 AM.
Old 01-18-06, 07:19 AM
jrock65
Lexus Test Driver

The RL may be built on the global platform that the Accord is also built from, but the two chassis are totally different. The RL feels absolutely nothing like the Accord in driving dynamics and interior feel and quality. The RL doesn't look like a $25K car, but maybe the Accord looks like a $50K car

Anyway, the point isn't about the virtues of one car or another. The point is how silly it is to fault Acura for having similar styling as a Honda and find every excuse to back that position up, yet defend Lexus for having Toyota styling and find every excuse to back that position up. The fact is as much as the RL looks like an Accord to some, so does the new LS look like a Camry. Why don't we stay consistent. If it is, it is. If it is not, it is not. Don't criticize one brand for something and praise another for doing the same thing. The excuse that Lexus can pull it off because they are a more luxurious name brand is just silly.

By the way, I wasn't comparing Acura to Lexus as you suggest. I'm comparing how some critique different brands differently with no consistancy. You say the new LS looks like a $70k car and I say it looks like a $25K Camry.
Hm... I remember the M45 taking some flack from the CL corner saying that it looks like a Maxima.

But of course when it comes to Lexus/Toyota, there are no similarities.

But all forums do this though. You go to the Acura forums they say that the M45 looks like a Maxima and the GS430 looks like an Avalon, but for the life of them they can't see the similarity between the Accord and the RL.
Old 01-18-06, 07:35 AM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 337 Likes on 290 Posts

Originally Posted by jrock65
"Toyota Australia executive director of marketing David Buttner says the new-look Camry carries a lot of styling cues from the Lexus. It has a similar bull-nosed bonnet, bold grille and lumpy rear end of the Lexus LS460, which was unveiled the previous day."

http://carsguide.news.com.au/story/0...-21822,00.html

A Toyota exec has already said that the 2007 Camry and 2007 LS460 are styled similarly.
good read, why would they make an economy car with a longer wheelbase?
Old 01-18-06, 08:55 AM
sonbum1
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Alot of comparisons were made with the benz c-class and S-class. the c-class is a compact sedan, where the S-class is a full size sedan = quite different in basic dimensions such as wheelbase / width / height. The camry is at least a mid size sedan, so the differences in dimensions will be much less remarkable. The LS460 L should stand out a bit more from the camry, I personally think they look TOO similar, other then the grill, exhaust, and a few stylish creases its virtually the same body. I thought Lexus was given its own design studio, completly independent of Toyota. You would expect that kind of copy-cat-car from KIA or HYUNDAI, not from your parent company. Maybe Lexus will now discontinue the worthless ES.....uww...did I say that!
Old 01-18-06, 06:36 PM
LexFather

Hm... I remember the M45 taking some flack from the CL corner saying that it looks like a Maxima.

But of course when it comes to Lexus/Toyota, there are no similarities.

But all forums do this though. You go to the Acura forums they say that the M45 looks like a Maxima and the GS430 looks like an Avalon, but for the life of them they can't see the similarity between the Accord and the RL.
I think ya'll got it twisted. Your comparing Honda and Nissan to Lexus. Remember, Lexus is LExus now. Acuras and Infintiis are nothing more than Hondas and Nissans with badges. That is one main reason they HAVE to look alike, they maybe badged differently here but in Japan or in Europe (if they are even sold) they are Hondas and Nissans.

Again apples to oranges.
Old 01-18-06, 06:45 PM
amul
Rookie

I think the new Camry has a greater resemblance to the GS. Can someone post some GS pics as comparaison. THe LS and Camry share no sheet metal, on the other hand, it seems like the the fenders and doors and bumpers are shared between the camry and gs
Old 01-18-06, 07:56 PM
jrock65
Lexus Test Driver

I think ya'll got it twisted. Your comparing Honda and Nissan to Lexus. Remember, Lexus is LExus now. Acuras and Infintiis are nothing more than Hondas and Nissans with badges. That is one main reason they HAVE to look alike, they maybe badged differently here but in Japan or in Europe (if they are even sold) they are Hondas and Nissans.

Again apples to oranges.
Whatever... you can't see the similarity between the Camry and LS460, and that's fine. Some people can, including a Toyota executive.

I'm just agreeing with this from CK6Speed:

"The point is how silly it is to fault Acura for having similar styling as a Honda and find every excuse to back that position up, yet defend Lexus for having Toyota styling and find every excuse to back that position up. The fact is as much as the RL looks like an Accord to some, so does the new LS look like a Camry. Why don't we stay consistent. If it is, it is. If it is not, it is not. Don't criticize one brand for something and praise another for doing the same thing. The excuse that Lexus can pull it off because they are a more luxurious name brand is just silly."

Also, it's funny, I guess until August 2005, Lexus was nothing more than Toyotas with badges, but I don't remember people here belaboring that point.

Last edited by jrock65; 01-19-06 at 06:25 AM.
Old 01-19-06, 03:54 AM
1loudLX
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Comparing this to how Benz and BMW look similar is not apples to apples either. Those are the same brand. Supposedly Toyota and Lexus are separate right?
Benz and BMW are the same brand? i dont know if anyone else picked that one up but uhhhh....no?
Old 01-19-06, 07:24 AM
LexFather

Whatever... you can't see the similarity between the Camry and LS460, and that's fine. Some people can, including a Toyota executive.

I'm just agreeing with this from CK6Speed:

"The point is how silly it is to fault Acura for having similar styling as a Honda and find every excuse to back that position up, yet defend Lexus for having Toyota styling and find every excuse to back that position up. The fact is as much as the RL looks like an Accord to some, so does the new LS look like a Camry. Why don't we stay consistent. If it is, it is. If it is not, it is not. Don't criticize one brand for something and praise another for doing the same thing. The excuse that Lexus can pull it off because they are a more luxurious name brand is just silly."

Also, it's funny, I guess until August 2005, Lexus was nothing more than Toyotas with badges, but I don't remember people here belaboring that point.
If u read what I said initially, I said the rear does look similar to the Camry me, but that is all. IMO, it resembles a 7 in side profile more than anything.

And your still wrong, Lexus was Lexus everywhere BUT Japan. They were not Toyotas THEN rebadged as Lexus. That is the exact opposite of what Acura and Infintii does (outside the USDM TL).

People simply (not saying u) start reaching as soon as a car comes out saying it looks like this/that and this tailight is this and this wheel from that and this hood from that, etc etc.
Old 01-19-06, 08:07 AM
jrock65
Lexus Test Driver

And your still wrong, Lexus was Lexus everywhere BUT Japan. They were not Toyotas THEN rebadged as Lexus. That is the exact opposite of what Acura and Infintii does (outside the USDM TL).
I'm not sure about Acura, but Infiniti cars are Infiniti everywhere they're sold BUT Japan. The only place that Skylines and Fugas are sold is Japan. The FX isn't even sold in Japan.
Old 01-19-06, 09:36 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 222 Likes on 150 Posts

I'm not sure about Acura, but Infiniti cars are Infiniti everywhere they're sold BUT Japan. The only place that Skylines and Fugas are sold is Japan. The FX isn't even sold in Japan.
I know RL's are Legend's for sure in some places other than Japan ( I think Australia for example, probably Europe ?).
As for Infiniti's I think(though not 100% positive) they either sell them as Infiniti or not at all in places outside Japan. They have 350Z in Europe but they don't offer either the G35 nor Skylines in Europe.
Old 01-19-06, 10:03 AM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by AmethySC
The current S class is also ~$40K more( at least, could be much,much, more) than the 4 cylinder C class & people have critisized in the past that it's a baby S class, why did they make them look so similar it's hard to tell them apart especially a distance? That's bad for S class owners. Why buy an S class when you can get a C class that looks so similar & save at least $40K ? Yeah ,a 4 banger C class is still a Mercedes
Exactly!
When we bought the S in 2000 (as an 01), the new C class (current) came out looking like a mini-me of the S class. WTH did Mercedes do that for??? Then the new E ( when it debut in MIB II ) was also another mini clone. I don't think it hurt the S class sales did it?

Regarding the Camry vs. LS, not as noticeable as C class vs. S class.
Let's see how ES vs. LS
Old 01-19-06, 10:09 AM
joegolf68
Rookie

OP appears to be trolling, he received many "bites."

Last edited by joegolf68; 01-19-06 at 10:19 AM.

Quick Reply: WHY toyota...WHY?