LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

New LS460 will parallel park itself

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-06, 06:58 PM
GWELEX
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did a quick search and couldn't find any real specifics as to how it works. There are ultrasonic sensors invovled, one foot must be on the brake pedal during the parking process, it CAN"T do really tight parallel parking, the driver will still have to do that and it can remember 3 different parking places,. Lot's of failsafe features built in. I'm really curious to see this thing work in real life. As I said earlier not for me, but still pretty cool.
Old 01-21-06, 07:51 PM
LexLaw
Lexus Champion

Sometimes it amazes me where we're headed with tecnology. Cool feature and all but how about people just learn angles and how to parallel park. It really ain't that deep. What's funny is we have this now but still no cure for Cancer.......oh wait that's a whole 'nother topic.
Old 01-21-06, 08:09 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GWELEX
I and it can remember 3 different parking places,.

It can remember 3 preset parking spaces? Wow, does that mean it uses GPS? Sounds like this system is good to park in your garage or work space, but other than that the parking space memory is kind of useless unless it bumps the other cars out of the way Can you image the lady at the mall parking place complaining that the spot her car remembers right in front of the entrace is taken by someone else. But sir, my car says this is my parking spot
Old 01-21-06, 08:10 PM
redzeppelin
Pole Position

Originally Posted by engin_ear
How about a system that completely vaporizes people that can't parallel park, and for that matter anyone that flings open car doors right into the side of your car.....
ROFLMAO!!!! Ohh man, I was just on the floor and I am still wiping the tears from my eyes.
Old 01-22-06, 02:48 AM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rheiy
Interesting ...but a complete waste of money. Parallel parking is a basic driving skill and those who are unable to do it should either learn how or find another place to park straight in.
I'd rather see Lexus develop some type of hidden system that deploys around the entire car to protect the bumpers and body from the idiots who don't know how to park or the one who "fling" their doors wide open..
Just because every driver should know how to do it, doesn't necessarilly mean they want to do it. For such a big sedan like the new LS, it is definitely a helpful feauture for some very tight space between two cars.
Old 01-22-06, 05:20 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by GWELEX
I did a quick search and couldn't find any real specifics as to how it works. There are ultrasonic sensors invovled, one foot must be on the brake pedal during the parking process, it CAN"T do really tight parallel parking, the driver will still have to do that and it can remember 3 different parking places,. Lot's of failsafe features built in. I'm really curious to see this thing work in real life. As I said earlier not for me, but still pretty cool.
yes it can... there was an video of parking prius, and it did relativly tight pararel park, with rocks on the other side which it detected and parked next to.

Doing real parallel parking in LS, really wide and long vehicle should be very hard. Usually in the US you dont get the chance to parallel park but most people dont know how to park anyway, let alone parallel :-).

In Europe, I have to parallel park all the time , and most times you see nothing on the lower sides of the vehicle so you dont really know if there is something there or not. it would be very helpful.
Old 01-22-06, 07:04 AM
rheiy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TwiBlueG35
Just because every driver should know how to do it, doesn't necessarilly mean they want to do it. For such a big sedan like the new LS, it is definitely a helpful feauture for some very tight space between two cars.
Let's face it, drivers who "don't necessarily want to park" are driver who CAN'T PARK. Although the new LS460 is larger, it is by no means so large that it would be impossible to park. Btw, anyone parking in a tight space no matter what car you own, runs a high risk of getting their own car damaged by the other guy (in front of you or behind you) who leaves before you.

Last edited by rheiy; 01-22-06 at 07:08 AM.
Old 01-22-06, 09:52 AM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 339 Likes on 292 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
Doing real parallel parking in LS, really wide and long vehicle should be very hard. Usually in the US you dont get the chance to parallel park but most people dont know how to park anyway, let alone parallel :-).

**** i have to parallel park everday, what part of the US are you talking about?
Old 01-22-06, 11:00 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by sha4000
**** i have to parallel park everday, what part of the US are you talking about?
i lived 7 years in sea and socal... had to parallel park 2 times. Trust me, 99% of US drivers would not be able to park their car in Europe, let alone an LS.
Old 01-22-06, 11:11 AM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 339 Likes on 292 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
i lived 7 years in sea and socal... had to parallel park 2 times. Trust me, 99% of US drivers would not be able to park their car in Europe, let alone an LS.
but why would it be so hard?ive parallel parked with about 1in to spare front and back,are things that tight in EUROPE
Old 01-22-06, 11:22 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Interesting ...but a complete waste of money. Parallel parking is a basic driving skill and those who are unable to do it should either learn how or find another place to park straight in.
I'd rather see Lexus develop some type of hidden system that deploys around the entire car to protect the bumpers and body from the idiots who don't know how to park or the one who "fling" their doors wide open..
the ls is not huge, but still it's not small. if you get a tight parking space, sometimes it could be hard to park. this is by no means a replacement, it could be a very well guidance system. i don't think it's a waste of money. you can know how to park but still mistakes could happen. a lot of members here they know how to drive and park, but yet they might have curbed a few wheels when parking

Originally Posted by Neo
So what if something goes wrong, will Lexus pay for damages? OR will they blame it on user error? It is a tough call. All I can say is it better be fool proof.
that's exactly what i think chris. could be a potential problem, especially when you think where we live -- the US..
Old 01-22-06, 12:12 PM
rheiy
Lexus Test Driver

If Mcdonalds can get sued for coffee that's too hot, you better believe that Lexus would get sued the 1st time their system fails to work in the US
Old 01-22-06, 03:15 PM
rheiy
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rominl
the ls is not huge, but still it's not small. if you get a tight parking space, sometimes it could be hard to park. this is by no means a replacement, it could be a very well guidance system. i don't think it's a waste of money. you can know how to park but still mistakes could happen. a lot of members here they know how to drive and park, but yet they might have curbed a few wheels when parking
Assuming that we're talking about a system that as you say is "by no means a replacement, it could be a very well guidance system" is one thing but to quote the news clip:
"Drivers need never again worry about tricky parallel parking manoeuvres. Lexus is about to import a car that will park itself at the touch of a button. The LS460 will be the first car in Australia with a self-parking computer"
That sounds a whole lot more than parking assist to me and a whole lot more $$$$$
Old 01-22-06, 03:49 PM
3dog
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Smile New Parking System

Wow this has got quite a few replies in the short time it has been up.

First I have to agree with those who say you should be able to park the car yourself.

Way back when I was in High School Drivers Ed they made us do it on a hill, both facing uphill and downhill. I've got a 19 year girl who I tried to teach how to do it. She would get lucky every once in a while and get the car in the spot, but most of the time she would get pissed and decide that was enough . The big problem is around here there are very few times you really have to do it so the kids get lazy and don't practice this manuever. We've got malls and parking garages and very little street parking except in downtown Seattle. And Seattle is all steep hills so most people just go to the parking garages. I've got two 17 year old boys who don't have a clue nor a desire to learn how to parallel park. I think the Drivers Licensing place makes them do it on some neighborhood street in some real easy spot.

Now I can see where there might be someone with a handicap or physical limitation who could really make good use of this technology.

I posted the story because I'm just amazed that they can make something that can do this.
You guys have made some interesting comments about it.

I do wonder how the computer would know where to stop if there were no cars in front of or behind.
Does this use sonar or a TV or both?

I would love to see this in action.

Also no one has said a thing about the 380 HP. Is this what we can expect? Seems like alot of cars have 400 plus HP these days. Should'nt we get at least that much.

Ivan
3dog
Old 01-22-06, 04:32 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

I agree.....this is ridiculous. They could have taken that money instead and developed an AWD system for it......which IMO, would have been far more useful, especially in foul-weather areas.

Quick Reply: New LS460 will parallel park itself