LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

LS 460 wins Roadfly Best New Vehicle of 2006 Award

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-06, 05:57 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Thumbs up LS 460 wins Roadfly Best New Vehicle of 2006 Award

Here:

http://www.roadfly.com/content/roadf...d_winners.html

Best New Vehicle for 2006 – Lexus LS 460

Lexus’ new LS 460 flagship is simply amazing. It’s chock-full of luxurious appointments and modern gadgets, wrapped in a taut, sporting body—and most amazing of all, it’ll all work three years down the road. Out of pretty much everything on display in Detroit, this Lexus strikes us as the car we’d most like to take home—and that simple fact is why we’ve crowned it Best New Vehicle for 2006.

The new LS adopts the L-Finesse design language seen on the new IS and GS lines; perhaps to its best effect here. Even the 203”-long L model looks tight and lean, compared with the outgoing land-yacht. Inside is a revelation as well; the LS is packed with the kind of accessories you’d expect in a full-size luxury model—navigation, power everything, superb audio system, rear sun-shades, reclining rear seats, and so on—but it’s all easy to use, and likely to last. At 380 horsepower, performance from the 4.6L V8 promises to be top-notch as well—and the stiffer underpinnings should lend a sportier driving experience. Sixty m.p.h. is said to be had in about 5.5 seconds; and in a shot across the bow of that other luxury brand, the automatic transmission now features eight gears.

Still, in a car like this, it all comes down to the feature content. The Auto-Park option takes parallel parking almost entirely u of the driver’s hands; once you’ve found a spot, engage the system and it steers itself in perfectly, with only the brakes under driver control. The Mark Levinson name once again graces the audio system; this time there’s 19 speakers, and an integrated hard drive with room for 4,000 songs. The three-zone climate-control system monitors not only cabin temp, but occupant temp as well. The obligatory navigation system features real-time traffic data, too. Add the rear-seat Ottoman Package (and why wouldn’t you?), and the best seats in the house recline with their own massaging leg rests, DVD player, and covered beverage cooler. In the LS 460, the Smart Key becomes a wallet-sized Smart Card, which you need not access to enter or start the car. And there’s more—a slew of alphabet-soup electronic aids (think ABS, EBD, BA, VSC, Lexus own VDIM, ESP, and so on). A hybrid version will be unveiled at the New York show in a couple months.

If you need more, Lexus promises “technical details” to be released at the Geneva Show. We didn’t; this new LS is so desirable, for so many new reasons, that it was easy to crown it our Best New Vehicle for 2006.
From the Detroit Auto Show, I presume.
Old 01-24-06, 06:21 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

Uhhh....I guess I should say good job. But the car isnt even on sale yet. And its suppose to be a 2007.
Old 01-24-06, 06:31 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

it is completly silly to call it best new vehicle when you didnt try it... most of the awards these days are completly silly - ridgeline getting truck award for not being... an truck.
Old 01-24-06, 06:49 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Well, it may be titled grandiose-ly, but I think this is pretty nice in the context of Auto Show awards.
Old 01-28-06, 05:40 AM
MF_Roadfly
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default If you were *at* Detroit, you'd know...

Saw this thread while searching for other sites' coverage of our awards. The Roadfly Auto Show Awards are given to the five vehicles *debuted* at the NAIAS that are the best in each of the five categories--value, innovative, etc. (www.roadfly.com/awards/2006)

Of course we haven't driven the LS460 yet; nobody has. If we waited to give our Auto Show Awards until we could drive each car, well, they'd be coming out a year after the show ended.

But, we have driven & reviewed plenty of Lexus(es)(ii). As you folks are probably aware, they're good! We trust that this new flagship, with more power and upgraded *everything* will be at least as good as the old LS430. And that's enough for us to trust that the Best New Production Model will not be a disappointment once it does hit the press fleets.

And if you *were* there, and had heard the press conference--detailing all the neat new features and improved mechanicals--and seen the car, inside and out; then you would know that YES, in fact, that at least a good argument could be made that the LS460 is the best Production model to have debuted at Detroit in 2006.

And there's no official line on when dealers will have them; we do know that the rest of the tech specs will be released in Geneva, and a hybrid version will be presented in NY. From that corporate news, and looking at the car and seeing that is has the weatherstripping, stickers, and so on that a pre-production car lacks, we went out on a limb and guessed that you'll be able to buy one in 2006.

I'm happy that folks are out there discussing our choices. We worked hard on this year's coverage. I hope you'll keep coming back to www.roadfly.com. But I wanted to clear that up.

Any other feedback? Thoughts?

Max Farrow
Roadfly Contributing Editor
Old 01-28-06, 05:48 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Hi Max,

as you might know, we "internet" readers dont like to actually read too much :-). We (and I) from the quote above concluded that you called it an best new vehicle for 2006 award, and not best new vehicle in detroit award. I am sure you understand the difference. We also probably have shown some false modesty here, since we all simply know that LS will be awesome, so why not allow ourself to be a bit modest and question the award.

Obviously, the fact that it is actually award for the best production vehicle presented in Detroit, makes it all different :-).

and thanks for visiting us at CL!
Old 01-28-06, 06:51 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by MF_Roadfly
Saw this thread while searching for other sites' coverage of our awards. The Roadfly Auto Show Awards are given to the five vehicles *debuted* at the NAIAS that are the best in each of the five categories--value, innovative, etc. (www.roadfly.com/awards/2006)

Of course we haven't driven the LS460 yet; nobody has. If we waited to give our Auto Show Awards until we could drive each car, well, they'd be coming out a year after the show ended.

But, we have driven & reviewed plenty of Lexus(es)(ii). As you folks are probably aware, they're good! We trust that this new flagship, with more power and upgraded *everything* will be at least as good as the old LS430. And that's enough for us to trust that the Best New Production Model will not be a disappointment once it does hit the press fleets.

And if you *were* there, and had heard the press conference--detailing all the neat new features and improved mechanicals--and seen the car, inside and out; then you would know that YES, in fact, that at least a good argument could be made that the LS460 is the best Production model to have debuted at Detroit in 2006.

And there's no official line on when dealers will have them; we do know that the rest of the tech specs will be released in Geneva, and a hybrid version will be presented in NY. From that corporate news, and looking at the car and seeing that is has the weatherstripping, stickers, and so on that a pre-production car lacks, we went out on a limb and guessed that you'll be able to buy one in 2006.

I'm happy that folks are out there discussing our choices. We worked hard on this year's coverage. I hope you'll keep coming back to www.roadfly.com. But I wanted to clear that up.

Any other feedback? Thoughts?

Max Farrow
Roadfly Contributing Editor

Thanks for explaining and joining Clublexus!
Old 01-28-06, 08:21 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

ahhh...okay...thanks for the detailed explanation.