LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Questions about the new LS

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-06, 06:15 AM
rgbyhkr
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions about the new LS

Ok, I will say up front that I definitely don't expect any concrete answers given that it was just unveiled. But, maybe someone here has seen a different source on the net or actually attended the show and talked to a Lexus rep. Here's what I'm trying to find out:

- All the info online points towards a 2007 release for the 600h. However, I've seen mention of early, mid and late 07. Has anyone seen more definitive info on what part of the year the 600h will be released in the US?

- They talk about a HDD audio server. Has anyone seen or heard ANY specifics about this? Is it removable (which would be great as it possibly opens up upgrades to larger HDDs)? Is it their own or a 3rd party design that they integrated? If not removable (which seems likely), how do you transfer music? Does it support tag info on the Nav screen?

- Interior pictiures of the RSE show a single dropdown screen. However, mention was made at launch by Jim Press of "individual DVD systems". At least one site specifically mentioned separate screens for each rear passenger (assumingly in the headrests). Anyone seen additional info on this?

- Press also mentioned real time traffic updates in the Nav screen. Is this the XM traffic info system or something else?

- Similar to that, anyone seen specific info on satellite radio availability?

- I have read about the 460 having a "power rear-door closer" option. Is this door close assist like that of Mercedes and BMW or are we talking about full closing of doors without physically touching them when they are open?

Again, I don't expect definitive answers but maybe a few folks have heard more about any of the above. Thanks.

Jeff
Old 01-28-06, 11:37 AM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rgbyhkr
Ok, I will say up front that I definitely don't expect any concrete answers given that it was just unveiled. But, maybe someone here has seen a different source on the net or actually attended the show and talked to a Lexus rep. Here's what I'm trying to find out:

- All the info online points towards a 2007 release for the 600h. However, I've seen mention of early, mid and late 07. Has anyone seen more definitive info on what part of the year the 600h will be released in the US?

- They talk about a HDD audio server. Has anyone seen or heard ANY specifics about this? Is it removable (which would be great as it possibly opens up upgrades to larger HDDs)? Is it their own or a 3rd party design that they integrated? If not removable (which seems likely), how do you transfer music? Does it support tag info on the Nav screen?

- Interior pictiures of the RSE show a single dropdown screen. However, mention was made at launch by Jim Press of "individual DVD systems". At least one site specifically mentioned separate screens for each rear passenger (assumingly in the headrests). Anyone seen additional info on this?

- Press also mentioned real time traffic updates in the Nav screen. Is this the XM traffic info system or something else?

- Similar to that, anyone seen specific info on satellite radio availability?

- I have read about the 460 having a "power rear-door closer" option. Is this door close assist like that of Mercedes and BMW or are we talking about full closing of doors without physically touching them when they are open?

Again, I don't expect definitive answers but maybe a few folks have heard more about any of the above. Thanks.

Jeff
Jeff,
All I know is that the LS600H will come out few months after the introduction of the LS460 this fall. The Hard drive inside the Lexus is more likely to be removable because most cars these days use "basic computer" components that can be changed or reprogramed. The Power door assist is same as the one in the BMW and Audi, and Mercedes which close the doors if u dont close it properly. The traffic real time system will be intergrated into the navigation just like the Acura RL and not through the satellite radio such as XM and Sirus. The Real time will be awesome from what I have heard and experimented in the Acura RL. You can transfer music through a memory card just like on the Audi A4 to the hard drive.
Old 01-28-06, 12:36 PM
rgbyhkr
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the response and that helps. I noticed that you have an '06 A8. I'm looking into it as well as the upcoming S8. As a tech geek and home theater guy, the B&O system is of interest even though I've always considered B&O to be more of a boutique brand. My local dealer (Jim Ellis Audi in Atlanta) actually has an S8 onsite but is not displaying it. One of the sales reps brought me back to the shop and I got a quick peak - very easy on the eyes.

Jeff
Old 01-28-06, 02:30 PM
rgbyhkr
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Rexus300
Jeff,
The Real time will be awesome from what I have heard and experimented in the Acura RL.
I may have mis stated that question. I was wondering if the traffic data actually came from XM's service, thus requiring choosing XM over Sirius if they were both offered. I ask becuase my personal preference is Sirius.

Jeff
Old 01-28-06, 02:55 PM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Jeff,
I have to agree with you that the Audi A8 and S8 are very nice cars to look at and very luxurious with the B&O system. The traffic data is mainly fed through the XM system currently on my audi but its only radio type and does not display the construction or the the traffic jams on the navigation unlike the Acura. The Lexus will have the real life traffic displayed through their own satelite system and not through XM or Sirius. I hope this helps.
Old 01-28-06, 05:04 PM
rgbyhkr
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the additional info. That's what makes forums like this so helpful since details on manufacturer websites can be minimal and the salesfolks usually don't know. I'm the guy who usually knows way more about the tech stuff than they do, but then again they need to know about a huge variety of details across a range of models.

The main issue I have with Audi is that the dealer I mentioned is the closest to me and they are 20-25 minutes away with no traffic. The route between me and the dealer is a major commuting route in Atlanta so trips there would often take significantly longer. Alternatively, my local Lexus, BMW, and Mercedes dealers are a little over 5 minutes away and there's never any traffic between me and them. I like what I see in the A8/S8, but this may eliminate Audi from consideration.

I know there's an auto show coming to Atlanta in the next few months so I may attend in hopes that they'll have the LS460 on display. Alternatively, I could press my dealer for a heads up on if/when they get one of the promo vehicles. Funny enough, I've had luck with this lately as I got to see the S8 in person and test drive a promo Mercedes S550.

Jeff
Old 01-28-06, 05:15 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rgbyhkr
Jeff
I have a feeling that media reports and perhaps even Jim Press' diction creates an impression of 2 when there is only 1. Some articles I've seen talk about 'rear passenger foot rests' when there is only 1.

So until there is any evidence to the contrary, I am assuming that the drop-down DVD screen is the only one available. This is supported by the photo showing the existence of only 1 DVD remote control, next to the 1 massage control.