LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

LS460 Safety Features Reveal (28th Feb)

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-06, 07:33 AM
GSsnarl
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS460 Safety Features Reveal (28th Feb)

We're less then 24 hours away from the reveal of the safety features that will be offered by the LS460. This is BIG, maybe we'll know about the "special" new headlight illumination system, and the "special" new rain sensing wiper system. What else should we expect, Lane keeping Assistant, stop and go traffic cruise control (like the one offered in the Crown Majesta), also I remember reading that Lexus was working on a camera that scans/detects the drivers' eye movment and warns the driver if he is not focusing on the road ahead of him. Well, im just naming a few, ofcourse there is pedestrian safety too.
Lexus set my expectation very high with the LS460, auto parking system, 8 speed transmition... Alota "wolrds' first" features.
Old 02-27-06, 06:51 PM
mink92890
Lead Lap

Cant wait
Go Lexus

Mink92890
Old 02-27-06, 07:04 PM
AJL0365
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GSsnarl
We're less then 24 hours away from the reveal of the safety features that will be offered by the LS460. This is BIG, maybe we'll know about the "special" new headlight illumination system, and the "special" new rain sensing wiper system. What else should we expect, Lane keeping Assistant, stop and go traffic cruise control (like the one offered in the Crown Majesta), also I remember reading that Lexus was working on a camera that scans/detects the drivers' eye movment and warns the driver if he is not focusing on the road ahead of him. Well, im just naming a few, ofcourse there is pedestrian safety too.
Lexus set my expectation very high with the LS460, auto parking system, 8 speed transmition... Alota "wolrds' first" features.

i would like to see something like that, the scanning the eye thing, if thats true, that can be really annoying because u got to do more than just focas on the road, u gotta focas on dumba** drivers on the road that dont know how to drive, and gotta occasionaly focas on the hot woman driving next to you.
Old 02-28-06, 07:51 AM
GSsnarl
Pole Position

Default LS460 safety features

Lexus Shows Advanced Safety Technologies for New LS at Geneva

Tokyo, Japan, Feb 28, 2006 - (JCN Newswire) - Lexus unveiled today advanced safety technologies - including the world's first Rear Pre-crash Safety Systems - for the new LS at the 76th Geneva International Motor Show in Geneva, Switzerland (open to the press Feb. 28 and March 1; open to the general public March 2 to 12).

The new LS employs a newly developed 4.6-liter V8 engine and the world's first electronically controlled eight-speed automatic transmission to achieve both superior driving and environmental performance. A newly developed platform and suspension, as well as VGRS*1, VDIM*2 and the various advanced safety technologies unveiled today allow the new LS to achieve excellent dynamic and safety performance.

The advanced LS safety technologies are described below.

Pre-crash Safety System

Enhanced Pre-crash Safety System:
The addition of stereo cameras and improvements to millimeter-wave radar now enable the Pre-crash Safety System to detect pedestrians, which the earlier system could not do effectively. The system warns the driver when it determines that the possibility of a collision is high. If the driver does not brake, Pre-crash Brakes are applied to reduce collision speed. (Previous systems detected only vehicles and obstacles on the road ahead and on-coming vehicles.)

The integration of such systems as VDIM, VGRS and AVS*3 aids collision-avoidance maneuvering.

The World's First Rear Pre-crash Safety System:
A millimeter-wave radar device in the rear bumper continuously scans the distance from a vehicle approaching from behind, as well as its speed and angle of approach. If the system determines a high probability of collision, it automatically activates the front-seat Pre-crash Headrests*3, which move forward and upward in anticipation of an impact, aiming to greatly reduce the risk of whiplash injury.

Pre-crash Safety System with Driver Monitoring System:
In addition to the stereo cameras and the use of millimeter-wave radar that detect preceding vehicles, obstacles on the road ahead and oncoming vehicles, a camera mounted on the steering column and an image-processing computer are used to detect the direction of the driver's face. If the system detects that the driver is not facing forward when it determines that the possibility of a collision is high, it warns the driver sooner than it would when it detects that the driver is facing forward. If the driver does not brake, the Pre-crash Brakes are applied to reduce collision speed.

SRS Airbag System

SRS*4 Knee Airbags for Both Front Passengers:
In addition to front, side and curtain shield airbags, the new LS460 offers SRS knee airbags for both front passengers.

SRS Twin-chamber Airbag (front passenger seat):
The front passenger seat features an SRS Twin-chamber Airbag based on the Omni-support Concept*5. Unlike conventional airbags, which are deployed as a single element, the new airbag's two chambers create a depression in the center of the airbag upon deployment. The airbag comes into contact with multiple surfaces on the passenger's body such as the head and shoulders to disperse the physical impact of the airbag.

Driving Assist Function

The Lane-Keeping Assist System:
This system assists in steering operations to help the driver stay in the lane, thereby reducing the driving burden on the driver.

The new LS 460 is scheduled to go on sale worldwide, including Japan, in the autumn of 2006. Also, Lexus plans to display an LS hybrid model at the New York International Auto Show in April.

*1 Variable Gear Ratio Steering
*2 Vehicle Dynamics Integrated Management
*3 Adaptive Variable Suspension System
*4 Supplemental Restraint System
*5 Distributes the impact from a collision by supporting the occupant at many points, in order to lessen the force applied to the human body.

About Toyota Motor Corporation

Toyota Motor Corporation (TSE: 7203; NYSE: TM) develops and manufactures vehicles, and is one of the largest car manufacturers in the world, offering a wide range of products from minivehicles to trucks. In addition to its core business, Toyota has a large business portfolio in financial services, including sales finance, vehicle insurance, and credit cards. It is also involved in telecommunications through a subsidiary that provides cellular services in Japan. Other diversified businesses include industrial equipment, prefabricated housing, and leisure boats. The company is headquartered in Aichi, Japan. Fot more information, please visit www.toyota.co.jp/en/index.html.
Old 02-28-06, 08:08 AM
GS3rdwow
Lead Lap

Definitely impressive.
Old 02-28-06, 09:09 AM
ADAM P
Lead Lap

I guess im wrong but i swear I saw a new LS on a car carrier yesterday. It looked like a full size sedan, much bigger than the IS and a weird brownish color. I snapped a pic with my camera phone but it was far away and too hard to make out (phone view)
Attached Images  
Old 02-28-06, 09:15 AM
mink92890
Lead Lap

So I am not alone? I thought i saw the LS460 at night on a road in Suwanee, GA (my homeplace). I saw the corner of it and i sware it looked like the new LS. The Hennessy Lexus of Gwinnett was aa few miles away so you never know

Mink92890
Old 02-28-06, 03:17 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Beauty pics and video of the New LS at the Lexus Europe Geneva pages...

the video is part of the one on Lexus.jp, but one has a different 'start button' intro:

http://www.lexus-europe.com/index.asp
Old 03-01-06, 05:07 PM
GS3rdwow
Lead Lap

Default Geneva pics.

pix from geneva...stunning!

http://shows.autospies.com/gallery/s...3&galleryId=36

http://shows.autospies.com/gallery/s...4&galleryId=36
Old 03-01-06, 05:51 PM
mink92890
Lead Lap

simply beautiful

Mink92890
Old 03-01-06, 05:53 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 225 Likes on 153 Posts

Some very nice pictures
Old 03-01-06, 06:53 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Those were some cool pics of all of the Lexus vehicles. Great stuff.