LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Cross shopping for a New LS, 7 Series or S Class?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-06, 09:31 AM
Big Jimm
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ex-Lexic
Welcom, BJ. Do you have one on order? How many ahead of you at your dealers?
Not on order. But, just as soon as they're out, I'll shop dealers from West Palm Beach to Miami and make my deal in one day.

I know that some dealers are taking orders with 1,000 deposits. But, that puts the dealer in too much of a "position of strength." I'm too much of a cheap skate to give dealers "any" edge.

Big Jimm
So. Fla.

Last edited by Big Jimm; 05-04-06 at 04:37 AM.
Old 05-03-06, 09:34 AM
Big Jimm
Pole Position

Default A Little Curious ..

What's this "Driver School Candidate" thing?

Big Jimm
So. Fla.
Old 05-03-06, 09:38 AM
Ex-Lexic
Driver

The more posts you have you move up in title. Check the long-timers' titles.

If you shop the cars on the lots you have to settle for the options and colors available. Also, you have to wait until those people who have them on order get their deliveries. Sounds like you have done this before, though...
Old 05-03-06, 11:53 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Jimm
What's this "Driver School Candidate" thing?

Big Jimm
So. Fla.
yes, tha'ts dictated by your post count
Old 05-04-06, 01:21 AM
Big Jimm
Pole Position

This “cross-shopping” site is VERY interesting. I, too, was considering these other cars. But, the more I compare, and read the various comments here, the more I’m convinced that the LS460 will be the RIGHT car for me this year.

I’m 75 and have had dozens of new cars, including 3 Mercedes (which, as I look back, I bought only because I thought they were good for my business image.) But, the last few years, I’ve bought Cadillacs and Town Cars. I never bought a Lexus because I always thought they “looked too small.” But, after studying the LS430, and watching them on the road, I’ve decided that they really are “just the right size.”

And, I LOVE all the latest electronics and innovations. (It appears that, with Toyota’s sky-rocketing sales, millions of other Americans agree.) Even my new Corvette has the "touch" door opener, push button start, etc.

One thing I’ve invariably noticed about MB is that they have ALWAYS been behind EVERYONE when it comes to electronics and the "latest" innovations. In fact they've RESISTED new technological upgrading.) Way back, they were behind with power steering, a/c, auto transmission, etc, etc. Year after year.

I’m brand new to the forum, and - already - I can see that it’s going to be greatly helpful.

Big Jimm
So. Fla.

Last edited by Big Jimm; 05-04-06 at 07:39 AM.
Old 05-04-06, 09:06 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by Big Jimm
This “cross-shopping” site is VERY interesting. I, too, was considering these other cars. But, the more I compare, and read the various comments here, the more I’m convinced that the LS460 will be the RIGHT car for me this year.

I’m 75 and have had dozens of new cars, including 3 Mercedes (which, as I look back, I bought only because I thought they were good for my business image.) But, the last few years, I’ve bought Cadillacs and Town Cars. I never bought a Lexus because I always thought they “looked too small.” But, after studying the LS430, and watching them on the road, I’ve decided that they really are “just the right size.”

And, I LOVE all the latest electronics and innovations. (It appears that, with Toyota’s sky-rocketing sales, millions of other Americans agree.) Even my new Corvette has the "touch" door opener, push button start, etc.

One thing I’ve invariably noticed about MB is that they have ALWAYS been behind EVERYONE when it comes to electronics and the "latest" innovations. In fact they've RESISTED new technological upgrading.) Way back, they were behind with power steering, a/c, auto transmission, etc, etc. Year after year.

I’m brand new to the forum, and - already - I can see that it’s going to be greatly helpful.

Big Jimm
So. Fla.
welcome to the site, i am sure you are going to enjoy it a lot here, and you will find tons of information here too.

the ls430 could be small to some people i would say, since the same level 7 series and s class they both have long wheel base with quite a bit more room. but the ls460 will be different coz' it has long wheel base to compete. and in terms of electronics stuff, i think there are some stuff on mb that are new innovations (like those pre-collision system), though often times we find them not well tuned and desgined. one thing i like lexus is they don't just roll out new stuff, they make sure it's working right first.
Old 05-06-06, 12:38 AM
NoRyceGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah I've been cross shopping. Between a 750Li and S550. Not sure the LS is going to come out in time for me, I need to replace the rapidly aging GS asap. I'd sure like to stick around here and get the LS(there are some really cool people on this forum like Henry and DaveGS4 that make you want to stay even despite some of the other....people), but the styling on the exterior, IMO, is WAAAAY conservative and looks too much like lesser cars. The interior is gorgeous though.

Any idea on pricing for the 460L?

We're thinking about just picking up the 750Li to play around for a year or two and then replace with 600hL., which, if it is as promising as it looks, seems to be the honest best buy.

In either case...Why do you want me to shoot you a PM for?

Last edited by NoRyceGS4; 05-06-06 at 12:42 AM.
Old 05-06-06, 09:20 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by NoRyceGS4

In either case...Why do you want me to shoot you a PM for?
Recheck post#1.
Old 05-08-06, 09:41 AM
ihparker
Driver School Candidate

Default Reliability

Originally Posted by letsjet
I love the engine in the MB and the room in the BMW. But both have terrible reliability and the electronics are not up to par. So I've been reluctant to pull the trigger. Kind of sad when you think about it. That you can't feel good about getting the flagship BMW or MB.

I have no bias in terms of being tied to one brand of car. I currently drive a 2006 BMW 750; before that I had a 2004 LS 430, which replaced my 2002 BMW 745.

I read the above quote on BMW 76 series reliability with some interest. My 2002 745 was a disaster. It was the first year of the new 7 and it had a problem a week. I ultimately gave up, traded it in, and bought a new 2004 LS 430. While the LS430 was trouble free (except for a couple of major recalls including a new transmission), it was just so boring compared to the BMW. It was quite and comfortable but just not exciting enough for me. So when BMW did the slight redesign of the 7 for 06, I traded in my LS430 and bought the new 7.

I have owned my new 7 for almost a year and I have not had one problem. It has been as trouble free as my Lexus. If you go the well populated BMW forums (bimmer.org can get you there), no one complains about problems anymore. We all are having a great BMW experience. This compares to the forums in 02 and 03, where is was a constant complaint-fest against BMW.

So, at this point, I would say that BMW has gotten the quality issues well in hand. From what I read, Mercedes has not. The S series is rattled with problems.

That said, I am looking forward to the LS600H. I am interested to see if Lexus has tuned the handling to compete with BMW or whether this is just a faster LS430. 0-60 times are great, but taking a turn at 80 MPH and feeling totally secure is the BMW experience. I never felt comofrtable in the handling of the LS430.
Old 05-08-06, 11:31 AM
Ex-Lexic
Driver

I think all these vehicles are becoming more exciting to drive as their 0-60 times go down. As torque goes up, so does the fun of driving. I own a Chrysler 300 C right now (0-60 in 5.6 sec), and I recently drove a 2006 Lexus LS430 and was astonished at how SLOW it went at low rpms. Not exciting. Much more fun accelerating in my Chyrsler. Course acceleration isn't the only thing important, but to me it is number one. 0-60 and new technology make all the new cars in this class very exciting. Nice time to buying new cars.
Old 05-08-06, 01:32 PM
CrazyMPG
Phat Monkey

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

i wonder when people buy higher end luxury cars...do they care about the miles it gets per gallon? I assume that since people can afford the high end cars, they would not care about the fuel consumption but, with gas prices getting higher and higher...will this be a factor? Or will we still see people buying hummers or m5's or any other car that gets less than 13mpg combined? ...just wondering what people think....
Old 05-08-06, 02:56 PM
Ex-Lexic
Driver

"-...just wondering what people think...."

I don't care so much about the PRICE of gasoline, but I do care some about the mpg of the car I buy. The price of fuel goes up and down, but if the mpg is something like 14 - 17, it is never going to be better than that. $3.00 gas with your car getting 23 mpg is OK. Next month the gas might be $2.40, but the car will still get the 23.
Old 05-08-06, 06:11 PM
CrazyMPG
Phat Monkey

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Ex-Lexic
"-...just wondering what people think...."

I don't care so much about the PRICE of gasoline, but I do care some about the mpg of the car I buy. The price of fuel goes up and down, but if the mpg is something like 14 - 17, it is never going to be better than that. $3.00 gas with your car getting 23 mpg is OK. Next month the gas might be $2.40, but the car will still get the 23.

how about not visiting the gas station every week? I remember lexus tried to promote the GS450h as being a car that you won't have to go to the pumps every week...cuz it "saves" time...lol... just wondering how lexus is trying to promote hybrids under their brand since it doesn't save as much gas as the prius...but so do many other cars...can't believe that the prius can get over 1000 miles per tank by the way you drive it...saw this on some tv show...crazy...the best i get is 550 miles on a 11.9 gallon tank...oh well...i am just into the hybrid phase right now...
Old 05-08-06, 10:15 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by CrazyMPG
how about not visiting the gas station every week? I remember lexus tried to promote the GS450h as being a car that you won't have to go to the pumps every week...cuz it "saves" time...lol... just wondering how lexus is trying to promote hybrids under their brand since it doesn't save as much gas as the prius...but so do many other cars...can't believe that the prius can get over 1000 miles per tank by the way you drive it...saw this on some tv show...crazy...the best i get is 550 miles on a 11.9 gallon tank...oh well...i am just into the hybrid phase right now...
funny coz' i don't think they should talk much about the lexus gas economy when talking about lexus hybrid, coz' that's not what they are into. the hybrid is mostly there for the power anyway

especially with the ls600hl. at low 20s fuel economy, more than likely you go to gas station just as often as i do
Old 05-14-06, 07:56 PM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

My father might consider the new LS460, 5-series, and GS in a year or so. He likes the LS the most, but just it is the most expensive one and impossible to find a base car.

Quick Reply: Cross shopping for a New LS, 7 Series or S Class?