LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

How To Load To The 8 GB Audio Server?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-06, 12:41 AM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Oh ok....lol.

For some reason I remembered saving several hundred audio files to a CD, perhaps those were shorter clips at lower quality.

I'm surprised the HD doesn't have that capability...well it is optional anyways...
Old 04-17-06, 05:04 AM
jp82729
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by flipside909
If this works exactly like the Fujitsu-Ten/Eclipse units, you must run the whole CD to copy...but would only make sense with a 30gb HDD like the AVN5495. On the LS460 on the otherhand, gb HDD isn't much to work with, but all the songs that I browsed through seemed like a collection of songs from one CD to another.
No, there is most certainly a way to select specific songs from a CD. There is a setting to auto record the whole CD or manually select the tracks to record.
Old 04-17-06, 06:00 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by jp82729
No, there is most certainly a way to select specific songs from a CD. There is a setting to auto record the whole CD or manually select the tracks to record.
Hmm you're the expert on this one. I'm just going by what the product planner told me. I wish we had more time to work the functions. I'll have to try it the next time we get a chance with it.
Old 04-17-06, 07:37 AM
rgbyhkr
Driver School Candidate

I'll be attending the Atlanta auto show in a couple of weeks and the LS is one vehicle I'm definitely interested in checking out. I have a few questions I hope to get answered there and comfort/convenience features like this one are high on my list. Hopefully, I'll be able to get some additional info.

It's surprising that there is no way to import music other than to rip Redbook audio CDs (that just means standard audio CDs for all the non-techies out there) directly on the system. No access to metadata severely limits the usefulness of an audio server. CD-TEXT is not widely included on CDs even for the most recent new releases. Sure, you could copy each audio CD you have on your computer first and add CD-TEXT tags with any number of programs including Roxio, but that's a huge PITA. Even if the system has a pre-loaded CDDB database, which isn't all that uncommon these days in home servers and appears to be a feature of the Eclipse AVN5495, I hope they offer a way to update the database regularly. Online CDDB data for new albums is often available the day an album is released if it is popular. You'd hate to see a situation where the only way to update the system is via Lexus supplied database update discs that would probably only come out a few times a year at most. Beyond that, it seems like an inconvenience to only be able to rip discs while you were in the car.

By the way, I checked out the AVN5495 a bit more in detail. A few things popped out at me that raise similar questions about the Lexus HDD system. For one, as questioned above, the manual says that CDDB updates are possible via its memory stick slot or from a CD-R or CD-RW. However, posts I've seen on a couple of forums mention that CDDB updates have to come directly from Eclipse and I didn't see one mention of them having released an update yet. The manual indicates that the CDDB database included in the Eclipse system is as of November, 2004. Another problem I found comes from a quote in an article about the system from carsound.com:

"Also, the recording happens in real time instead of faster read speeds that you’re accustomed to with your computer."

http://carsound.com/articles/publish/article_797.shtml

This was backed up by a customer review of the AVN5495 on Crutchfield's site.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-Uipc2NV...5495&id=review

You can't even import CD MP3 discs onto the HDD. If the Lexus system operates the same way, that's a serious flaw. So yes, you could have 3 years of music stored, but it would take you at least 3 years to rip it all since it would have to be done in real time. I would certainly hope that the Lexus system rips a lot faster and preferrably does offer an alternate method for uploading music.

It's silly to me that companies still bother with these ridiculous limitations. Many home audio servers already allow for importation of MP3 CDs, importing of MP3s across a network, uploading from a portable MP3 player, etc. So, it's not like this is uncharted legal territory. At heart is the issue of whether you legally own those songs and making any importing harder, legal or otherwise, doesn't do much to prevent stealing. Some companies put artificial boundaries in place on their hardware, but many times it is because they also have copyright interests to protect elsewhere within the organization (Sony has its own music label, Apple has agreements with various labels to sell music on ITMS, etc). Those boundaries are usually useless anyways as there are very easy ways to bypass them. If I had to guess, given the use of ATRAC for recording, Eclipse may be outsourcing technology from Sony which might explain the CD MP3 import restriction.

I do like the aux input and power jacks in the center console. It's a nice way to bring everyone into the fold, regardless of what player they may have. Sure, the iPod dominates the portable market now, but who's to say what things will look like in 5 years? Also, DRM support for online purchases can be device specific (an unfortunate annoyance of these early days of online digital music buying). So, it gives users the option to still use whatever online service they want without having to do a lot of work to convert those purhcases if they want to listen to that music on another system. I think Mercedes' inclusion of the PCMCIA slot was a waste. Flash memory sizes are increasing all the time, but they are more expensive than comparable HDDs or even similarly sized HDD MP3 players. For instance, Samsung recently announced a 32GB flash drive earlier this year. However, the cost is expected to be in the $5K neighborhood. Compare that to $299 for a 30GB video iPod. This also ignores the DRM problem and puts you at the mercy of whatever audio navigation method the built-in system offers, which is often far more clunky than a dedicated MP3 player interface.

iPod specific interfaces do seem to be getting better but that sucks a little if you have one of the first gen ones. For instance, BMW just announced a new generation of the iPod interface. Initially, in their first gen system, you had to create 5 specific playlists on the iPod that you could select and navigate through via the iDrive system. Pretty limiting. This new system lets you navigate through by Artist, Album, Genre, Playlist, Podcast or create a random mix of 500 songs on your iPod. This is a lot more like the options you have when controlling the iPod directly. The inclusion of a Podcast specific section is nice as that category is rapdily expanding and I personally find that drive times are great times to listen to my favorite Podcasts.

By the way, this comment was a little confusing:

There is also the Audio Input in the center console which you can use to plug in any external audio device other than the iPod. There are no iPod controls on the new LS' head unit.
Is the suggestion that there is an ipod interface or that for some reason you couldn't use said aux jack to connect an iPod? The latter is seemingly impossible (the iPod, just like any other portable MP3 player, can certainly be plugged into any standard RCA composite or 3.5mm mini-jack) so I'm guessing it's the former. If they did offer an iPod specific interface, this would certainly be the preferrable way of connecting the iPod. You don't need controls just to send the audio signal and I'm guessing that aux jack is just audio and not a data connection, so I'm not quite sure what this was saying.

As you can tell, I'm a complete tech geek. However, when getting a new car this time around I am set on getting all the tech toys I want. Sure, I could go aftermarket and open up the floodgates, but I really prefer factory installs. There's usually more seamless integration and the installs are designed to go with the rest of the look of the vehicle. The sacrifice there is usually being a step or 2 behind cutting edge. However, if you lease like I do, you have new options each time you look at getting a new car.

Jeff
Old 04-17-06, 08:21 AM
Ex-Lexic
Driver

I very much look forward to your posts after the Atlanta Auto Show.
Old 04-17-06, 08:45 AM
rgbyhkr
Driver School Candidate

Just as a quick follow-up, I was curious about what appeared to be glaring limitations of the AVN5495's HDD feature. So, I just got off the phone with their tech suport. It appears that everything I found before was accurate. No, you can't import MP3s or any other compressed file formats onto the syst***s HDD. Recording standard audio CDs in real time is the only way to get music onto the HDD. That's crazy. Also, they haven't offered an update to the CDDB database yet. According to the tech, doing so "has proven more difficult then they had hoped". Hmmm, I hopw people aren't buying those units hoping to really make serious use of the audio HDD feature.

Jeff

Last edited by rgbyhkr; 04-17-06 at 09:33 AM.
Old 04-17-06, 09:11 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by rgbyhkr
Just as a quick follow-up, I was curious about what appeared to be glaring limitations of the AVN5495's HDD feature. So, I just got off the phone with their tech suport. It appears that everything I found before was accurate. No, you can't import MP3s or any other compressed file formats onto the syst***s HDD. Recording standard audio CDs in real time is the only way to get music onto the HDD. That's crazy. Also, they haven't offered an update to the CDDB database yet. According to the tech, doing so "has proven more difficult then they had hoped". Hmmm, I hopw people aren't buying those units hoping to really make serious use of the audio HDD feature.

Jeff
ok, in real time?! that's even worse @_@ my mp3 ripper ripes much faster than that

please do find out more at the autoshow if possible. i mam sure it will help clear this issue out, and at least lexus can hear from us about the problem and how useless the whole good idea has become, if they limit the way songs can go it

it's almost like you have a big bath tub. but you only drip hot water in, drip by drip. yes eventually the whole bath tub would be full of water, but not only it takes a long long time, by the time you are done, the water is cold already too
Old 04-17-06, 05:06 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

You can't even import CD MP3 discs onto the HDD. If the Lexus system operates the same way, that's a serious flaw.
Correct, the only way to import music to the HDD is from a regular high quality (pref.store bought) audio CD.

Is the suggestion that there is an ipod interface or that for some reason you couldn't use said aux jack to connect an iPod? The latter is seemingly impossible (the iPod, just like any other portable MP3 player, can certainly be plugged into any standard RCA composite or 3.5mm mini-jack) so I'm guessing it's the former. If they did offer an iPod specific interface, this would certainly be the preferrable way of connecting the iPod. You don't need controls just to send the audio signal and I'm guessing that aux jack is just audio and not a data connection, so I'm not quite sure what this was saying.
The Aux In jack is an Audio Only input. It has no ties or bearing with any other audio player other than you can input any audio peripheral as long as it can connect with a regular mini plug. There was a rumor going around that the LS' New ML system had an onboard iPod interface. That rumor is incorrect.

There is a company called VAIS Technology that makes a module to connect with certain factory Toyota/Lexus systems which would allow you to tap in your iPod using the hidden MD or AUX function of the system. They have yet to make one for the New LS as it's obviously not available yet.
Old 04-17-06, 06:06 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I don't think Lexus would launch an LS with audio server for '3 years of songs' that takes '3 years to load.' That would be a horrible tagline that detractors could use against it. I find it hard to believe that they would have such an oversight, why have an audio server if you can't use it easily???? And if the S-class has a flash memory port, and others...

Will Lexus USA include an option to download songs onto the car? For instance with G-Link, Lexus Japan seems to offer the ability to download songs onto the car as shown here:

http://lexus.jp/service/g-link/

I can't read Japanese but it seems like there is the song icon there, and a song library info...
Old 04-17-06, 07:02 PM
rgbyhkr
Driver School Candidate

Correct, the only way to import music to the HDD is from a regular high quality (pref.store bought) audio CD.
Well, that is a limitation that makes the CDDB issue as well as the rip speed issue that much more important. Hopefully I can get answers to both of those.

The Aux In jack is an Audio Only input. It has no ties or bearing with any other audio player other than you can input any audio peripheral as long as it can connect with a regular mini plug.
That's what I figured. As such, it doesn't matter what the HDD can and can't do as this is a very viable alternative.

As for the G-Link system in Japan, I'm just guessing but I doubt they would offer something like that here. Music download services are none too easy to setup given the studios' paranoia about piracy. Beyond that, you'd have issues with nationwide availability of high-speed wireless data networks here in the US.

Jeff
Old 04-18-06, 09:41 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 160 Likes on 118 Posts

Autolies had an "exclusive" shot of memory card slot in "latest S class". When I checked it out, it was inside of glovebox and had huge LEXUS printed on it :-).

Did you guys check the glove box carefully? :-).
Old 04-18-06, 09:54 AM
rgbyhkr
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by spwolf
Autolies had an "exclusive" shot of memory card slot in "latest S class". When I checked it out, it was inside of glovebox and had huge LEXUS printed on it :-).

Did you guys check the glove box carefully? :-).
Have a link?

Are you talking about this article by any chance?

http://www.autospies.com/article/ind...0&categoryId=1
Old 04-18-06, 10:24 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 160 Likes on 118 Posts

Have a link?

Are you talking about this article by any chance?

http://www.autospies.com/article/ind...0&categoryId=1
it was exactly that news, but they changed the pic...
Old 04-21-06, 12:14 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man this is so depressing. 8GB HDD doesn't hold much to begin with, and if the above (that the audio server can only rip Redbook audio CDs in real-time) is true, this "new" system is quite simply a complete waste. People will either stick to MP3/WMA CDs (with song titles displayed on the screen), or external MP3/WMA players that are much easier to load music onto.

I simply can't imagine how Lexus can put something this useless and inconvenient into production, let alone their flagship. Hopefully some of the limitations rumored above will turn out to be untrue.

Also, does RIAA only pick on Lexus or what? RIAA is not good enough an excuse for not allowing copying MP3/WMA files onto the HDD when no other companies making HDD-based MP3 players are ever sued. Technically the new LS is a HDD-based MP3 player that happens to be a car.

Last edited by XeroK00L; 04-21-06 at 02:44 PM.
Old 04-21-06, 02:33 PM
rgbyhkr
Driver School Candidate

Well, I've confirmed with the general manager of one of the Lexus dealerships here in Atlanta that the 600 will indeed be on display at the show here next week. Hopefully, I can get some answers as I have a list of them, not all to do with the HDD though. Of course, as is sometimes the case with technical questions I have about a product, there may not be a good source to get answers from. I find this often to be true for a product that has not been released. That certainly doesn't stop me from trying and I can be persistent when it comes to details like this. The question is whether I can find the right person or at least someone who can direct me to the right person.

In fairness to Lexus, I have separate lists of questions about specific features for the folks at MB and BMW. It may be a busy show. Perhaps I should have attempted to get press credentials to better pursue my quest for info?

Jeff

Quick Reply: How To Load To The 8 GB Audio Server?